Quantcast
Massey or tritone digital? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Massey or tritone digital?
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How about the real thing?

Cop a real reel to reel. I got a two track Fostex Model 20 for 200 dollars. It runs at 15 ips and def has the whole tap sat thing going on. I've mixed down to it and I've used it as a hardware effect in Reaper. Its a three head deck so I use Brad McGowan's method but with automatic latency compensation. U can basically insert it, set the monitor to repro and whatever u have going in the repro head plays back what u recorded a split second later. Reaper lines it up and u can burn it down for example on a drum track or two tracks of something like two sources or a stereo track.
I just copped a Tascam 38 (8 track 1/2" 15 ips 3 head deck) and plan on using it to do multitrack sweetening and even record with it. My 8 track cost me 400. Sure it might ring in at more than some plugins but let your ears decide. Ill start a thread with a mix I did on gearslutz that I did OTB 24 channels summed mixed down to digital then that same mix to 2 track tape to digital. Very eye opening. I believe I used Maxell tape on that mix 1/4" at 15 ips. Big difference.
Beats the snot out of any plugin I've heard. Tru dat.
Peace
Illumination
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 ➑️
There is saturation for sure. I agree that the colors do not saturate. It's the Warmth slider I'm talking about. Harmonic goodness they call it. If you don't believe me, demo it and mess with the Warmth slider. If that's not saturation, I don't know what is.
The warmth control is very much like the "Fire" knob in Hydratone. I agree, it definitely does something harmonic and very nice. It is interesting to me that many people like to naysay this effect and call it EQ, makes me wonder if they have really listened to it! I use the Tritone plugs on every mix and love them.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone else having probs with TTD plugs on PT 8?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
what problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie ➑️
Anyone else having probs with TTD plugs on PT 8?
What problems are you having?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I have both and use both frequently. Tapehead on Drums and Bass and sometimes the Vocals Buss. Colortone used subtly on the 2 Buss when I stay in the box. Both are excellently useful but are, as mentioned earlier, different concepts. Colortone is a little buggy on my Pt Rig though...If I had to get just one I'd go for Tapehead.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Stock ➑️
I have both and use both frequently. Tapehead on Drums and Bass and sometimes the Vocals Buss. Colortone used subtly on the 2 Buss when I stay in the box. Both are excellently useful but are, as mentioned earlier, different concepts. Colortone is a little buggy on my Pt Rig though...If I had to get just one I'd go for Tapehead.
Thanks for your answer, but still in cahoots too what im listening fore in tapehead. The colortone i can most definitely hear.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Try Tapehead i.e on a Snaretrack in Bright Mode and set the drive pretty high - controls transients and beefs up the sound nicely in the low mids and highs. Or try on Bass that needs some grit, or on the Drumbuss, or etc....
If you can't hear it than turn the drive knob up - but in general Tapehead doesn't only saturate but changes the Frequency response (most of the time to the better) on what you throw it on...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Stock ➑️
Try Tapehead i.e on a Snaretrack in Bright Mode and set the drive pretty high - controls transients and beefs up the sound nicely in the low mids and highs. Or try on Bass that needs some grit, or on the Drumbuss, or etc....
If you can't hear it than turn the drive knob up - but in general Tapehead doesn't only saturate but changes the Frequency response (most of the time to the better) on what you throw it on...
thanks, ill take another listen.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Welp....

broke down and purchased the ct4. Next is major tom which i'm really liking.
πŸ“ Reply