Quantcast
Need a REALLY Deep Spring Reverb Unit - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need a REALLY Deep Spring Reverb Unit
Old 26th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Need a REALLY Deep Spring Reverb Unit

I'm looking for a rack spring reverb unit that'll go pretty far back in the cave. Panda Bear, Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear-type sounds. Needs to be around $100.

So far, I've been looking at the Furman RV-1, Fostex 3180, Tapco 4400, and Master Room XL-121. Which of these would bet fit the bill, or are there any others to consider?

Thanks!
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Try the Orban 111 spring reverb. They usually sell for more than $100, but I've seen them for as little as $20. It's also a dual channel unit as well.

DOD also makes a spring reverb that you can find for under $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbone ➑️
I'm looking for a rack spring reverb unit that'll go pretty far back in the cave. Panda Bear, Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear-type sounds. Needs to be around $100.

So far, I've been looking at the Furman RV-1, Fostex 3180, Tapco 4400, and Master Room XL-121. Which of these would bet fit the bill, or are there any others to consider?

Thanks!
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i've got a few old soundworkshop springs that i found at a yardsale that are pretty rad.

the master room is really cool...a bit hard to find these days.

honestly...some of the spring impulses that i have for tl space are quite incredible for a plugin verb...particularly if you eq them a bit.

that being said..nothing sounds quite like my soundworkshop deals. i also had a demeter spring for a while...it was nice as well....had one short and one long spring in the same unit. got some cool sounds out of it.

good luck.

jchristopherhughes
Deleted ff086b4
Well, if you want a really deep analog reverb then you should be looking for a plate reverb, not a spring reverb, but that would be way out of your budget. For a great rackmountable spring reverb then you should try get a used Demeter RV1 ... Demeter Amplification - Products

They usually sell brand new for around $600, I was lucky enough to get one brand new for around $200, which was a steal to say the least! But keep your eyes open for a used one on ebay or wherever and you may get lucky. They sound great!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
master room are much more than a 100... and much better

m
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus enochson ➑️
master room are much more than a 100... and much better

m
yeah. for a 100 you are usually limited to the tapco, furman, or DOD. be patient though, i searched for an AKG bx-5 and BX-10 for about 6 months and found them both in the same week.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
We've been using a BX-20 and man it sounds great. It was my partner's and he didn't have it hooked up for a while. When we joined forces we started using it and it's a keeper.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
For that deep thing, seriously - get any old cheap spring, then get a replacement long Accutronics tank and put it in.

I did that with my RV1 and it kills me now. Really good.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Well... the spring verb in uad roland re201 isn't really bad... it is the only sim I know that really works. Haven't heard a spring verb impulse that sounded and behaved like a spring verb .
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Well, it might not be in the $ 100 price range, but I would save a little longer and try to find a Great British Spring reverb. Unlike a lot of y/metallic sounding cheaper units with short springs, the GBSV sounds very, very deep. Cheaper spring units can be very cool as well ( in a thrashy/ lofi way ) but the GBSV is pure beauty.
πŸ“ Reply