Quantcast
Any issues installing Leopard and PT8 on an older G5? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any issues installing Leopard and PT8 on an older G5?
Old 26th January 2009

🎧 15 years
Any issues installing Leopard and PT8 on an older G5?

I have a 4 year old Daul 2 gig G5 with 2.5 gigs of ram. Looking to add 2 gigs of ram.

Anything else I should look for? Watch out for?

I also have 2 computers I want to put Leopard on, do I need to buy Leopard twice?

Same thing with MS Office and Photoshop, I have 3 computers for that stuff, do I need three different ones?
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo ➑️
I have a 4 year old Daul 2 gig G5 with 2.5 gigs of ram. Looking to add 2 gigs of ram.

One of our customers just did a very similar set up and his CPU is running REALLY hot and the fan is a constant nuisance. If your computer is in a different room or a quiet box you should be ok (the noise). Ryan also noticed that the machine was running "clunkier" to use his words, but with no first hand experience I don't know exactly what that means. He is probably forgoing the new mic and getting a new Mac Pro instead as he can't have the noise in his room.
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I also have 2 computers I want to put Leopard on, do I need to buy Leopard twice?

Same thing with MS Office and Photoshop, I have 3 computers for that stuff, do I need three different ones?
I'm currently typing away on a G5 Dual 2Ghz with Leopard and PT 7.4.2 HD. OS is fine, but I'm yet to move to PT8, mainly because it didn't look stable and seemed slower when I checked out 2 separate users' G5 + PT8 HD setup. That could be due to incompatible plugs being in the plugin folder or many other factors that I'll have no idea about in their respective setup but nonetheless I didn't get a good impression.

Regarding Leopard installation. Officially, you're SUPPOSED to get a family license (5 licenses in 1) for multiple installations but seeing as OSX has never required serial numbers or activation codes, you'll know what to do.

Office will check the network for other instances of Office. So you could install it on all your macs but if one mac has office open, the other will tell you when you try to open it that the other mac must close its office app.

Photoshop, I'm not sure about.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
I love you guys.

Just got off the phone with my buddy who sells PT's/Mac, he said don't do it. His clients are having issues with older G5 with Leopard and PT8, he said some of them are in hell with it running slow.

I'm holding off.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I just bought leopard and am in the process of backing up files to install that and PT8 on a dual 2.5 G5. I'm hearing so many mixed opinions on PT8 on a G5 it's making me nervous to go through with it. Anyone else have any first hand experience?

🎧 10 years
I've only gone PT8 on the laptop rigs at the moment. The G5 and MacPros are still 7.4 and Tiger. Now - this thread has just stopped me going over this week. I think I'll replace the G5 with a MacPro - despite my worries of slightly less stable platform. The G5s at Abbey Road have been rock, and I'm in there a lot - one of the main reasons I kept one G5 here.....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➑️
I've only gone PT8 on the laptop rigs at the moment. The G5 and MacPros are still 7.4 and Tiger. Now - this thread has just stopped me going over this week. I think I'll replace the G5 with a MacPro - despite my worries of slightly less stable platform. The G5s at Abbey Road have been rock, and I'm in there a lot - one of the main reasons I kept one G5 here.....
Yeah, there's not one major studio around me that's upgraded to 8. Hell, most of those places are still on G5s with Tiger and PT 7.4 (some big places still use 7.3).
It's all about stability and speed, and G5s on HD for tracking and mixing purposes really gives you that. For arrangers and song writers using PT only for themselves it's probably worth the risk to move onto 8.

BTW a sound design/effects company I'm friends with have two recent Mac Pros running HD 7.4.2 systems and they're very stable. When I move to 8 after a few point updates, their setup has given me enough confidence to move onto a Mac Pro.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I got an older G5 2 gig dual. Running Leopard and PT 8 HD, I'm not having any problems.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
isn't Tony Shepperd running PT8? i wonder what he have to say.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I'm on a dual 2GHz G5 running Leopard and PT 8 and have no issues. I had some plug in issues going from 10.4 to 10.5 but the move to PT 8 was seamless. heh
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I love you guys.

Just got off the phone with my buddy who sells PT's/Mac, he said don't do it. His clients are having issues with older G5 with Leopard and PT8, he said some of them are in hell with it running slow.

I'm holding off.
Smart move!

I upgraded on a G5 PPC Dual 2Ghz and PT8 as well as pretty much every else is sluggish
and weak.....

So a Mac Pro (and possibly a bank robbery) is in my future!

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp ➑️
Yeah, there's not one major studio around me that's upgraded to 8. Hell, most of those places are still on G5s with Tiger and PT 7.4 (some big places still use 7.3).
It's all about stability and speed, and G5s on HD for tracking and mixing purposes really gives you that. For arrangers and song writers using PT only for themselves it's probably worth the risk to move onto 8.

BTW a sound design/effects company I'm friends with have two recent Mac Pros running HD 7.4.2 systems and they're very stable. When I move to 8 after a few point updates, their setup has given me enough confidence to move onto a Mac Pro.
ta for the confidence boost!
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Just did a clean install of 7.4, seems great.

How do you use elastic audio?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I had success

Just did this saturday on a single core g5 Friday!

No problems whatsoever!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just did a clean install of 7.4, seems great.

How do you use elastic audio?
I doubt a few posts could ever cover elastic audio.
I've not bought it, but everyone raves about Kenny's videos.
Me, I originally just watched the videos on digidesign.com and then learned it by trial and error. You'll probably really enjoy it for some of your metal stuff, particularly for drums.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Working well on my dual 2.0 G5 here for the past couple weeks. Cloning my PT7 drive running Panther and PT7 was kind of a lengthy process but I can still boot up and use PT7 if needed and 8 seems to be rolling along pretty well. You need to select 1 core in playback engine I believe for optimal results with this machine (which does affect old sessions REALLY using both cores for RTAS stuff I guess). Love the new stuff in 8! Real nice progress :-)

(HD rig)

I still want to upgrade this Mac to Intel. MUCH better for many reasons.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
We're still holding off on the PT8 install.

I usually update immediately, but just can't afford the down-time if problems arise.
We have the Magma chassis and all that so there's obviously more that can go wrong.

I'll be happy when many of the issues and bugs are fully addressed.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I always kep two system drives on my working computer. One for the current stable version and another for trying new stuff knowing I can boot back into the stable drive. I'm in the same situation as James, I just haven't gotten around to installing Lep and PT 8 on the test system. I am never really in a hurry though. If i have a working setup I don't have much longing to change. And I think the worry of Lep bogging down the G5 makes it harder. The notion of getting a new computer, a new expansion chassis, and replacing card kinda makes it not worthwhile since everytihng works perfectly right now.
πŸ“ Reply