Quantcast
Shy - Excess All Areas - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shy - Excess All Areas
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Shy - Excess All Areas

Don't suppose anyone knows anything about the recording/mixing of Shy's Excess All Areas?

I have the remastered CD and while the levels are a bit pushed, every time I dig it out I have to marvel at the sheer scale of the production. It sounds absolutely Huuuuuuuuge! The drums...well the drums... heh

It was produced by Neil Kernon and he did a great job imo.

Listening to it, there appear to be many lessons in how to make something so big. It probably helps that there aren't great walls of guitar competing with vocals. The arrangements seem very good and perhaps this is why you can get huge drums, layers of keyboards, huge Bvox, Masses of reverb...lush guitar lines...ooooh, am getting a hard-on heh

Would love to know more about the production, equipment choices...the usual...and how you can get drums so big that don't sound boxy and don't obscure everything else. Mutt Lange of course has been doing with guitar bands (new Nickelback for example) for years but nobody ever gets to the bottom of his secrets, LOL! (we all know they are samples but that doesn't tell us much)

Anyway, would be grateful for any info.
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I remember buying this vynil when I was like 12 years old. I know that Neil Kernon is a GS member so he might be able to answr all your questions about it.
He's answered some of my questions before concerning Queensryche's Rage for order and he seems like a really nice guy. That guy did some great work.
Emer-gency...Emer-gency!!!
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Would love to get a reply on this...
Old 12th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
PM sent

:-)
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…