The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Analog Synthesizers
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Analog Synthesizers

Quote:
Originally Posted by baikonour ➑️
hehe...We have some analog synths in common, i have a Minikorg 700s (the one with the 2nd osc) which I love (if I had to keep one synth it would be this one) Got a mono/poly, and I used to have a VP 330 that we sold a couple of month ago...Also we have some other Roland (RS09, RS202, JX3P with PG200, JX-10 (with Pg800) a SC Pro-One, a Farfisa Compact Deluxe, Yamaha CS-5, Logan Melody II, Jen Strings, a Fender Rhodes MK1 and a Wurlitzer EP 200A.
I'd love to have a SH-5 though!!!

Ok back to gainsbourg....
So taken from one thread to another.
Please share your experiences with analog synthesizers here.
I'm totally into playing analog synthesizers through the old CV/gate & trigger thing.
Having dozens of cables interconnecting everything and have currents flow all over the place really brings interesting results, the sounds of most of these units are amazing.

I agree on the Minikorg, it's probably the earliest oscillator I own and it's the fattest sounding one.

In the studio right now there's a
-Minimoog
-Minikorg
-Korg Mono-Poly
-Roland SH-5
-Roland VP-330
-Roland RS-505
-Roland Juno-6
-Roland SVC-350
-Roland PA-60
-Roland TR-606
-Roland CR-8000
-Linndrum II
-Sherman QMF
-Moogerfoogers : 101/102/103/104/251
-Futureretro Mobius sequencer
-Realistic MG-1
-Vermona Retroverb (great with the synths it's a spring reverb with filter and AR and everything can be triggered)

On the wishlist is a big Modular moogstyle synths, I always buy synths because they got those in or outputs or able to do certain things, so I'm ready for the modular now I want to be able to patch in and out of every module so I can acces everything I want to influence.

I'm lucky I started buying these things end nineties as prices online are getting absurd!!
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 ➑️
So taken from one thread to another.
Please share your experiences with analog synthesizers here.
I'm totally into playing analog synthesizers through the old CV/gate & trigger thing.
Having dozens of cables interconnecting everything and have currents flow all over the place really brings interesting results, the sounds of most of these units are amazing.

I agree on the Minikorg, it's probably the earliest oscillator I own and it's the fattest sounding one.

In the studio right now there's a
-Minimoog
-Minikorg
-Korg Mono-Poly
-Roland SH-5
-Roland VP-330
-Roland RS-505
-Roland Juno-6
-Roland SVC-350
-Roland PA-60
-Roland TR-606
-Roland CR-8000
-Linndrum II
-Sherman QMF
-Moogerfoogers : 101/102/103/104/251
-Futureretro Mobius sequencer
-Realistic MG-1
-Vermona Retroverb (great with the synths it's a spring reverb with filter and AR and everything can be triggered)

On the wishlist is a big Modular moogstyle synths, I always buy synths because they got those in or outputs or able to do certain things, so I'm ready for the modular now I want to be able to patch in and out of every module so I can acces everything I want to influence.

I'm lucky I started buying these things end nineties as prices online are getting absurd!!

Yes me too, I bought most of my synths in the early/mid 90's...There's still a few thing I wished i bought at the time I bought a Juno 6 for 1000 francs (Β£100) there was a Minimoog for 6000 Francs in the same shop...Over a few years i saw lots of cheap MS-20s, Sh101, even a Jupiter 8 was still relatively cheap.
Now you have to go into more esoteric or forgoten keyboards to get a bargain or go into effects and stuff like that instead of keyboards... (i'm really into this modular idea, using synths all patched up and effects pedals, spring reverb as a big modular system.
how the Vermona? Have you tried the other one (The tube version?)
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The retroverb is nice, knobs are a bit cheap and it's a bit noisy, but the fact that it's possible to trigger the EG, Crash the reverb, Cutoff, VCF, VCA makes it very interesting to incorporate in the synthsetup.

Yeah Ebay kinda killed finding an old synth at an interesting price.
the thing is you end up buying 30 year old electronics that could go wrong any minute I rather not spent almost the equivalent of the new price back then on these things.

There's still a few old items that I want, then i'm giving it a rest.
and probably just spent money on refurbishing the things.

And i'm looking into synthesizers.com, Modcan or Club of the knobs for a big modular system.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have not used the tube Version of the vermona.

The futureretro mobius is a very interesting device, modern but they really thought about it, it can accept or put out midi, it has dynsync ! and cv for volt/oct & herz/oct and a trigger which can be set to positive or negative, additional it also has trigger out, accent out and a clock & reset for other analog sequencers.
so I find this hell of a master for my old analog synths. everything can be synced to it and it can sequence most synths.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have not used the tube Version of the vermona.

The futureretro mobius is a very interesting device, modern but they really thought about it, it can accept or put out midi, it has dynsync ! and cv for volt/oct & herz/oct and a trigger which can be set to positive or negative, additional it also has trigger out, accent out and a clock & reset for other analog sequencers.
so I find this hell of a master for my old analog synths. everything can be synced to it and it can sequence most synths.
That sounds great, I nearly bought a Doepfer analog sequencer a few years ago but nowadays I'm either doing live takes and sequence in the DAW or using CV/midi if I can. It must be fun to have all your CV and dyn gear connected together and I guess you can get some unpredictable results! I have done some mismatching (CV of different types or audio into CV etc..Via a patchbay and you can get some pretty out there ****!
I am intrigued by the tube vermona as the clips on their website sound pretty good...But I'm quite covered regarding reverb and echoes, I have a (rare) Roland RV-800 (Stereo Spring reverb) it from the same serie has the SVC 350, Dimension D etc...As well as a RE-201, a Binson Echorec , a watkins copycat and a Yamaha anlog delay (BBD)
Have you got the Moogerfooger delay? (I saw your list but can't remember the model's name...)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice collection of delays you got there :p
Oh wow a RV 800 what a beast.

Yep I have the Moogerfooger analog delay MF 104 the first version, I bought the whole series of Moogerfoogers when they came out and that delay is very sweet.

Ah your sequencing on the computer, yep probably the most easy way to really compose with these machines.

I'd like to avoid any midi in the synthsetup as any midi to cv conversions or to trigger delay the whole process. and things get pretty untight. (non of the synths I have is standard equipped with midi so that's the problem)
however on the list as well is an Innerclock syncshift that might help with time issues on syncing drummachines, dyn & dyn or midi & dyn.
Syncing them analog and playing the whole setup with a few friends is just pure musictherapy :D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Syncing them analog and playing the whole setup with a few friends is just pure musictherapy :D
I bet!

Have you try the latest (?) Step filter moogerfooger? I think it's called Murf??
We have the ring modulator and filter in our place, and they are nice indeed.
But as a auto filter/env follower I've just acquired a Maxon AF-9 (mine is an original but the re-issue are meant to be identical), great stuff: multimode filter,positive or negative response etc...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
check out Motu Volta.

YouTube - MOTU Volta
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
what the heck are radiohead using for synths?

the sounds they get are truly astounding!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Batchainpuller (great name BTW),
I totally agree with the "screw midi, just use them via CV/Gate" mentality, but there are a couple of things that will really open things up for you if you're looking to expand capability.

The first is Numerology, which is basically an infinitely configurable Arp-style soft sequencer that is very easy to use and mind bogglingly deep if you want it to be. This and a few decent midi-CV converters (I like the Frostwave quad converter) will totally blow your mind. I got rid of all of my analog sequencers (Arp, Roland 104, Asys, Doepfer, MC4b, etc) once I got this. I still miss the Arp, though, for sheer immediate organic sequence gratification but current prices are insane.

The other are the old Garfield clock sync/convert rack units. I think it's the Mini-Doc that I really dig, but they're all pretty cool. They basically take a clock input and output many different analog clock varieties and divisions. The Mini-Doc has a din-sync input (and the Frostwave midi-cv I mentioned has a front panel DIN output so it works really well with it if you need to sync to midi) and has standard ppq clock outputs (oberheim, Linn, roland, etc) and also has 2 selectable trigger outs so you can generate triggers in 1/8th notes, or 16th/3 or whatever normal divisions. You can use these for instant synthpop triggered bass lines, just set the rhythm to what you like and hold down whatever key for the pitch. They don't show up for sale that often but are really cheap when they do, like $100 or so. Built like tanks and totally reliable.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
name is stolen from Captain Beefheart :p

Ah yes the Garfield Mini-Doc, I'm trying to find that one for ages, but indeed they do not come up very often.

I'm glad you get my screw midi mentality and I know what you mean, as I know that softwaresequencing to my hardware would indeed open a lot of options.

But I feel incorperating a PC into my analogue setup and the midi conversions will screw things up whilst making lot's of other things possible.
And I record a lot on tape as well so I'm not very excited to bring a personal computer into the chain.
However i'm open to good software so the volta thing shown before and good software sequencers with a midi converter are very interesting,
I'd prefer working that way then working on something like a Roland MC-4
But I get most kicks out of real analog sequencers with quantizers and just playing the parts yourself.
Old 16th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old thread, but I like the topic (and participants).

I've been thinking of getting a new Moog Minimoog, I heard some samples of it and it sounds original/ wonderful. I've got the murf and think it's an amazing piece of equipment, but I really want an analog synth.

Who is using the minimoog? Anyone care to share their opinions on the Mini, or other analog synths that's makin'em smile?

cheers,
Steelyfan
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i added a moog voyager old school to my studio a few months back and have to say its one of the best if not the best additions to my place. i went with a newer voyager since getting ahold of an original is both pricey and a crap shoot. who knows what will need to be fixed at time of purchase or in the near future. i think you will be pleased if you get one.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminone ➑️
i added a moog voyager old school to my studio a few months back and have to say its one of the best if not the best additions to my place. i went with a newer voyager since getting ahold of an original is both pricey and a crap shoot. who knows what will need to be fixed at time of purchase or in the near future. i think you will be pleased if you get one.
Hi Luminone!
Great news. This is also the one I've been looking at, have you ran guitar or vocals thorugh it's filters (it does have audio in's , right?)

I was wondering what the deal is with the other models with all the presets on them, are those Moog's analog/digital hybrids?

One more thing, I've never really used an all analog synth, most of the sound examples I've heard of the voyager old school are bassy, deeper sounds, have you gotten any flute/bell like sounds out of yours. I'm used to digital keys where presets get you close to the sound, and then you refine it to your taste. I'm guessing with this moog, you pretty much create your own sounds from scratch regardless of the instrument sound you are after, you build it from scratch?

Thanks for any info, I'm really wanting the voyager too!

Steelyfan
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Ive worked a whole year with a Korg Polysix. Really great sound, but the lack of presets was kind annoying for "everyday composing".
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
bump for Minimoog user reviews.
rjm
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I use one of the new Minimoog Old School editions, and it takes care of EVERYTHING in terms of what I do electronically. I sequence using an Arrick Q119 analog sequencer, so no MIDI. I just record 4th, 8th and 16th note pulses onto seperate tracks, and have that trigger the sequencer. Its a very surgical and "limited" way of working, but there's nothing else that beats the sound of the sequences, especially if you have a taste for early electronic music recordings. The Minimoog OS is absolutely brilliant, and I've owned most of the classic analogs over the years. This was the model I was waiting for Moog to manufacture since they returned on the scene....no touch screens, no menus, no midi....it's PERFECT.
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm ➑️
This was the model I was waiting for Moog to manufacture since they returned on the scene....no touch screens, no menus, no midi....it's PERFECT.
Do tell more my friend. You are speaking my language.

This isn't the one with the fancy lights and the weird pad in the center, just the cut and dry down to business model right?

Can you run external sounds throught it for the filters?

Rjm, Can you get flute/ or woodwind type of sounds on the MINImoog.
All the demo's I've seen, folks are getting great bassy, phat (excuse) sounds, I'm interested in string type of stuff, and higher note stuff too.

What instrument sounds have you created with it? INFO---- please.

steelyfan
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by baikonour ➑️
Have you try the latest (?) Step filter moogerfooger? I think it's called Murf??
The murf is a wildly creative box. I run lots of stuff throught it, but the jaw dropper was running an entire mix through. Gosh, depending on the pattern/filter placement/ tempo of song/ rate...... it can do things to audio you just couldn't think of. Once you start thinking like it.....

A MUST OWN in my book.

steelyfan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=steelyfan;4792304]
Quote:

The murf is a wildly creative box. I run lots of stuff throught it, but the jaw dropper was running an entire mix through. Gosh, depending on the pattern/filter placement/ tempo of song/ rate...... it can do things to audio you just couldn't think of. Once you start thinking like it.....

A MUST OWN in my book.

steelyfan
I saw there's a midi murf now whith an editing software ( you can cange/program the paterns...) Anyone tried it yet?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=baikonour;4792329]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan ➑️

I saw there's a midi murf now whith an editing software ( you can cange/program the paterns...) Anyone tried it yet?

Midi? ............ N E V E R ..................

baikonour..... you have said ...gasp,......(whisper) ......midi.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i have a juno 60 which is really a cool synth. You can create pretty much any sound under the sun. And combine it with some effect boxes, Delay, tremelo, ect... ect.... Really amazing sounds.....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
steely
the old school can create pretty much anything. doesnt do pads well since its a monosynth. i have an ensoniq fizmo for that. but the OS can basically make any kind of sound you can imagine. no presets basically has you creating a sound based on a) what you are imaging to build a track around, or b) what you have already laid down and need to add different colors to the track.
i think it can be easier if you have some presets already available and you just tweak those, but where is the experimentation in that. ive found myself with something in mind and on the way to creating it found something totally different that works with the track i was working on.
ive only ran my rhodes through the filters. havent tried anything else but i created some pretty out-there sounds doing this. i guess this was another workaround i figured out to create "pads" or to record some chords with that moog filter doing its thing. i would imagine it would work with a guitar or any other instrument that has a 1/4" out.
it really is an investment. they arent cheap, but its a purchase that is pretty hard to not say its worth the cost of admission once you have it sittin in front of you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminone ➑️
they arent cheap, but its a purchase that is pretty hard to not say its worth the cost of admission once you have it sittin in front of you.
Thanks alot for the info Luminone.Your right, it does sound perfect.

$2400.00 at SWEETWATER.
Did you get a better price on yours somewhere else? I'm thinking this might be my X-mas present to myself.

Thanks, Steelyfan
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sums up new vs. old moog wise!!!! Great Vid!!

YouTube - Minimoog & Minimoog Voyager side by side
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i got mine for 1900 used. i ended up with a whitewash edition. ill post a pic of it at the end of this message.
you may be able to find a used one for a good deal. id also recommend hitting up novamusik.com to see if you can get a nice price on one. i hear they are the best.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

sHE'S A bEAUT.
N88
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Arp Odyssey and Analogue Systems modular.
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ah ye ol' synth thread!

ah Minimoog you ask, yes it's lovely, the old one I mean, I don't care much for the voyager all though the old school model looks pretty sweet, lot's of in&outs & the buss system that's gonna expand the mini's features and sounds quite a bit.
Haven't played the Ol'skool but have played the voyager, and I gotta say the new keyboards are not as smooth as the one on my Mini D, The keyboard and the layout is why I don't like the Voyager.

I've had lot's of synth's for more than 10 years now, I'm craving for a modular system, I want to be able to control every parameter and have a central control & processing unit, something that I could patch up as a big polyphonic synth or a few monophonics playable and sequenceable.

If you plan to take it out a lot go for the Old School version of the Voyager, If it stays at home most of the time, I'd consider an old Mini, Prices are sometimes very reasonable especially in the states, and they can be refurbished for a nice price.

What I'm crazy about is the Roland SH-5 it's prolly my favourite right now, superb synth and great guitar processor. (all kinds of wah's with cv pedal, lovely bandpass filter, Murf style sequenced filter, Ring modulator with the oscillators, Tremolo with various pulses, etc..)
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
rk.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I only have a Moog Little Phatty at the moment, so i'm a new-comer to synth world. Primarily i make guitar oriented music, and i got the Moog for something to play around with and i was suprised how addictive the whole analog synth world is. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of time i would spend messing around on a big modular!

If i had enough money (which i don't) i'd like to build a system with Cwejman modules. They sound fantastic to me, but i guess they are relatively hi-fi and maybe don't have the 'vibe' that a lot of people associate with analog.

I also love the sound of the Synton Fenix, Steiner Parker Synthacon and the old Soviet Aelita units. Never had the chance to play any of them in the flesh, but everything i have heard come out of them is amazing.

I just wish i was a better keyboard player!
πŸ“ Reply