Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Paia???

Bri
Old 19th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's one of mine:

I also have a Chroma (awesome analog poly synth), an Oberheim Xpander, M1000, and M6r, an Arp Odyssey, and a Mood Prodigy. Yeah, now I'm just kinda bragging.
Attached Thumbnails
Analog Synthesizers-big-red-synth.jpg  
Old 20th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
For those looking at getting into analog modular, check out muffwiggler.com where you will get an awesome amount of support from us modular geeks. I've had (and loved) several minimoogs over the years, but between my IIP and Dotcom, I think I have that sound covered. Going all analog - including sequencers - is a creative technique I learned in the 70s when that was the only choice one had. I'm now experimenting with a hybrid system with a DAW/Cubase recorder/sequencer combined with midi control through an Encore Expressionist (8 channels of midi>CV/Gate). I think its the best of both possible worlds and have high hopes for the new solo project I'm working on now...

The kids playing together...

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's some sexy looking gear fellas. I've been listening to more minimoog demos.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
FWIW, I never had too much of an opinion on analog vs soft until I heard Steve Roach...then I understood the difference.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck ➑️
Here's one of mine:

I also have a Chroma (awesome analog poly synth), an Oberheim Xpander, M1000, and M6r, an Arp Odyssey, and a Mood Prodigy. Yeah, now I'm just kinda bragging.
That looks like a Tangerine Dream setup.thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
wish i could find one of those in a yard sale :(
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 ➑️
What I'm crazy about is the Roland SH-5 it's prolly my favourite right now, superb synth and great guitar processor. (all kinds of wah's with cv pedal, lovely bandpass filter, Murf style sequenced filter, Ring modulator with the oscillators, Tremolo with various pulses, etc..)
Man, I listened to some demo's on Youtube of this synth and LOVE the way it sounds. I don't know if it's the guys who were palying it, but after watching @ 4 vidoes of the Roland Sh-5 and @ 15 videos on the minimoog oldschool, the Sh-5 was getting most of the sounds I have in mind. Lots of flute , ring/bell like sounds , very unique sounding. LOVE the way it looks too, very Jetsons.

It seems that the minimoog videos, the players where all about fat/lowend bass stuff, deep sounds. I'm sure the moog can do other stuff, but I haven't heard many demo's where the demonstrators got any of the sounds from the roland. One video on the roland had more interesting sounds in 5 minutes than 15 10 minute videos of the moog. I realize it's the players, not the machine, but very impressed with this sh-5. They seem hard to find.

Anyone own both, how do these compare side by side? Would really like to hear other sound demo's of the moog, but with more interesting sound clips.

Cheers,
Steely
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle S ➑️
wish i could find one of those in a yard sale :(
Keep looking! Because that's exactly where I found the Moog Prodigy. Fifty bucks. thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
steely give me some examples of what you are trying to make on the synth. you have to understand that these things can make whatever sound you want, granted it doesnt have some exotic type effects or modulations needed.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminone ➑️
steely give me some examples of what you are trying to make on the synth. you have to understand that these things can make whatever sound you want, granted it doesnt have some exotic type effects or modulations needed.

hI Luminone.
I'm sure that the Moog can do just about anything. But all the demo's were of folks holding down a deep/bass note for 3 minutes and turning filters.

Looking for flutes, bells , ring mod , mellotron style warbly ,killer filters to process external gear, vibes, metallic chirps, .....voices maybe.....strangely enchanting sounds in general. Not so much bass sounds.
Most of the stuff I do uses standard rock instruments, so I'm looking for a analog synth to produce some organic lively hood. My idea is to maybe get an older analog Roland for strings and pads and piano, and then a seperate synth as mainly a sound creation tool. Something with major personality, but isn't a one trick poney. I would consider this synth to be my main sound effects tool. Whatever I get, it'll still get sent though dozens of pedals.

thanks for your interest to help.

steelyfan
Old 21st November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan ➑️
Man, I listened to some demo's on Youtube of this synth and LOVE the way it sounds. I don't know if it's the guys who were palying it, but after watching @ 4 vidoes of the Roland Sh-5 and @ 15 videos on the minimoog oldschool, the Sh-5 was getting most of the sounds I have in mind. Lots of flute , ring/bell like sounds , very unique sounding. LOVE the way it looks too, very Jetsons.

Anyone own both, how do these compare side by side? Would really like to hear other sound demo's of the moog, but with more interesting sound clips.

Cheers,
Steely
aha!!! heh I know, beautiful design those SH-5's, yes maybe even harder to find than a Mini.
Can't compare it to the Mini Old Skool, but to the Mini D, well they are quite different, although both are able to be very fluty and bleepy, I'd say the SH-5 has a bit more options to go experimental laboratory style, as for unique sounding well it's a bit less used than a Mini I suppose but as with many devices both of them produce sounds that are unique to their species both not cheap in this day & age.

I could make some soundsamples this weekend, but the Mini is handicapped with the three rectangle waveforms of the lower oscillator & LFO out so it would not be fair :p
But if you are looking to get one synth, maybe something like the SH-5 would suit you Steely, I so fell in love with it, the design graphical as well as how you can operate it are perfect for me, you have a noise you can route to the VCF, VCF&BPF, BPF, or just the VCA, you can do the same with OSC. 1 / OSC. 2 the Ring Modulater (which you can use to modulate the two osc. with each other, or one with the LFO's, or one with something on the external input or the external input with the LFO's or noise)
and an extra fader with the External In. which you can also route to the VCF/VCF&BPF/BPF & VCA and in addition to the 5 sound sources which you can mix and route you get two LFO's, an ADSR & AR, two Filters (one awesome sounding manual bandpass filter) lot's of triggering & modulation options & a Sample & Hold

For an old school monophonic synthesizer it's a cool package.
And as I said before a cool guitar processor, very stereolab-ish.
My favourite setup right now is hooking this one up to the Mini so it transposes along have parts of the drum machine routed through both external ins, & a VP-330 for another part of vocoded drums and some strings all hooked up to a WEM AudioMaster 5ch. Mixer for the nice spring reverb it provides heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You just posted Tago Mago & La Planète Sauvage? I love you Steely

Yes killer filter to process external gear, well both (still talking Mini & SH-5) are pretty good at that, I had the Mini 10 years before I had the SH-5 so I'm a bit more excited by the newest filters :p, but we should not underestimate that Moog filter which sounds lovely on many things as well, and with the noise you can make that thing go sound like a steak frying in hot butter but in overal the SH-5 is more versatile yet not as sweet as the Mini.
The SH-5 is able to produce more layers and with the two filters is able in itself to produce lovely minimalistic electric music where you can experiment with pulse and drones and resonance.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Who is using the minimoog? Anyone care to share their opinions on the Mini, or other analog synths that's makin'em smile?
hi Steelyfan. i'm using several vintage analogs that make me smile . among them the old model d minimoog which huge/brute sound i highly prefer to todays polished voyager version, which just doesnt have the same liquid filter or the same sonic footprint. i did like old school a bit better than the regular vygr. controls are smoother. and it feels more like an analog should.

i use the minimoog for leads, bass, tweaked sequences and fx. haven't made any demos for it yet, but here's a few from other analogs i use a lot:

Jupiter 8, a true classic polyphonic, i use it for PWM sounds/pads, hi strings, big 12dB/Oct seeeps, silky/purry bass, and all kinds of sequneced/arpeggiated plinks/plonks/percussive sounds.. it excells at that.. here's a small taste of it when i'm tweaking it over its famous random arpeggio pattern (with a little bit of Andromeda strings on top):

here's another example where i tweak its parameters, especially cross mod and sync options:
http://www.babic.com/SYN/JP-8/clc_JP8_fx-tweak-arp.mp3

together with JP-8, my other every-day analog is Andromeda, that gets most pad duties, complex fx and pads with dual filters, analog type sequences, deep bass and off the wall leads..

http://www.babic.com/SYN/A6/clc_A6-T...scillation.mp3
http://www.babic.com/SYN/A6/clc_A6-MeltsInYourMouth.mp3

another polyphonic that kinda rounds the "most used analog" cathegory is a Curtis-chip based machine, the raw/angry Oberheim OB-Xa, with its cutting sizzley strings, big polysynth sounds (under guitars), filter sweeps and voxy 12dB/Oct drones (that's the best)..

http://www.babic.com/SYN/OBXA/OBXA_lfo-pwm-ddl.mp3
http://www.babic.com/SYN/OBXA/OBXA_spacepad.mp3

besides these, i also use Rolands SH-2, MKS70 and TB303, a Formant Modular (based on later model d oscillators), Oberheim OB-X, Eminent Solina and a Prophet5 rev2 (that currently needs to get fixed), which must be the best ever lead synth i ever heard, beside doing pads, bass and complex stuff with polymod section.

http://www.babic.com/SYN/P5/P5Rev2_SawLead.mp3
http://www.babic.com/SYN/P5/P5Rev2_1974.mp3

Analog Synthesizers-minimoog-jup8.jpg Analog Synthesizers-prophet.jpg
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
arp oddesy was a cute toy

and a firstman bass pedal
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Been really busy with work lately and have criss-crossed the country a couple of times so haven't played with my synths in quite awhile (over have a year), and when I did play music, it's with my guitar.

So last night I decided to boot up my Logic Studio and go through some old songs.

First I went through a couple of songs which used softsynths (ie. FM8, Logic's softsynths, etc...) and they sounded ok.

But then I booted up some really old songs from 9-10 years ago that I recorded of my Roland Juno 106 and an Oberheim Matrix 1000 and literally the walls started shaking. The synths sounded thick and present. And to think these were recorded direct into a crappy Audiowerk8 card from way back in the day.

Coming at this from fresh ears and without any expectations, this really shocked me, the difference between the softsynths and the real synths. And to think that these two are not particularly fat sounding synths.

It's made me realize that for me personally, I really love the sound of the real thing, it makes a huge difference to me in terms of inspiration and enjoyment and I'm thankful that I still have my Juno 106 and Matrix 1000. At some point I'd like to get a few more analog synths (the dream is a Minimoog D, for sure) though generally my preference is for synths that can save presets, are polyphonic and can in some way connect to MIDI. I've checked out the Moog Voyagers, quite awhile back a friend and I had a Moog Voyager and a Minimoog D side by side and to our ears the Minimoog D sounded much more pleasing to us.

In any case, giving my for analog synths, the real thing to me is still my preference.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Was that ever even a doubt or a question?? heh

real piano? / virtual piano?
real guitar? / virtual guitar?
real clavinet? / virtual clavinet?
real hammond? / virtual hammond?
real electricity? / virtual electricity?
real strings? / virtual strings?
real drums? / virtual drums?
real sex? / virtual sex?
reality? / virtuality?
overtones? / ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
'cluster' - those Jupiter 8 Arps are just awesome!

My vintage collections has at various times included:

Jupiter 4
Korg Delta
ARP Odyssey
TR808 - this counts as an analog synth right?

all of which I regret selling!

Still clutching onto:

Juno 106
Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Clusterchord, thanks for taking the time to share all of that info. Very cool man. I listened to all those examples the other night, cool sounds. I think I'm taking a break with collecting recording equipment (still would like a nice reel to reel), and now concentrating on analog synths.

I'm sorta at a loss on how that Fantastic Planet record was recorded. Of all the records I've listened to in my life, there is just SOMETHING about the keyboard and drum sounds on that record. Anybody have any info?
I'm sorta in awe of it actually. What a sound, what a sense of space.

OT:
Unless I can find a cool Analog synth on the cheap somewhere, I'm going with the minimoog oldschool or if one EVER surfaces, the Roland Sh-5.

ATTN MINIMOOG DEALERS:
After X-mas, I'll be looking to purchase, if you want to make me a better deal than my Sweetwater guy, PM me.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Hey Batchain....I like that pussy heh

Oh and in the name of the thread and to justify piping in with such lark I'd like to say : Jupiter 4.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's a cool cat man!

Jupiter 4 yes man check, got one here, very funky machine, reminds me of a cooler version of a Juno (or the simplest version of the jupiters of course :p)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eligit ➑️
what the heck are radiohead using for synths?

the sounds they get are truly astounding!!
i believe i heard and saw that they themselves create their own synthesizers.
Old 2nd December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Jupiter 8 is a sick machine! My gosh that thing sounds incredible. I spent @ an hour listening to sounds on it on Youtube lastnight. Killer sounds.

The Roland SH-5 is just too expensive for me, as is the Minimoog at the moment. One day, when the time is right though.

However, now that I'm on an analog keyboard kick and have listened to a bunch of them, I've come up with a new idea.

I have also spent hours listening to the Sherman Filterbank 2 , and after hearing what it does, was thinking of pairing it with a Roland Juno 106 or 60.
The 106 is in my price bracket at the moment, and with the Sherman would probablly be my max budget. Also, the Sherman sounds like it could bring something wonderful to other source sounds.

Anyone following my train of thought here?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The Jupiter 8 is a sick machine! My gosh that thing sounds incredible. I spent @ an hour listening to sounds on it on Youtube lastnight. Killer sounds.

The Roland SH-5 is just too expensive for me, as is the Minimoog at the moment. One day, when the time is right though.

However, now that I'm on an analog keyboard kick and have listened to a bunch of them, I've come up with a new idea.

I have also spent hours listening to the Sherman Filterbank 2 , and after hearing what it does, was thinking of pairing it with a Roland Juno 106 or 60.
The 106 is in my price bracket at the moment, and with the Sherman would probablly be my max budget. Also, the Sherman sounds like it could bring something wonderful to other source sounds.

Anyone following my train of thought here?
the 106 and the 60 (basically a juno 6 with a basic memory bank) sound totally different. the filter on the juno 6 or 60 is rather similar sounding to the filter on the jupiter 8 but not multi-mode, just lowpass.
The 106 is a good synth too but soundwise more in the same vibe as later mid 80's Roland. For pads and hard sync sound the JX-3P (with PG200) is also a great (and cheap)synth (really typical sound, used all over the 1st Autechre records and lots of early 90's electronica, one of my favorite. The JX-8p and JX-10p (with PG800) are interesting machines too, the last analog synths from Roland, again different sound, they don't look really cool though (or do they? in a 80's calculator kind of way
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
heh I see where you are going

A Juno 6/60 is pretty cool I use mine a lot with a Moogerfooger Lowpass or with a Sherman and it's a nifty combination
You get the arpeggiator , It's Polyphonic! wel up to 6 :p and if you plan to team it up with a Sherman, well anything is possible.

And I don't know the prices in your are but here I think both can be had for 1000-1200 Euro's depending on the condition, that's way less than a SH-5 Or Minimoog.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yea, I meant the Juno 6, not 60.

OK. more info for those in the know:

The music I have in mind to use these for is less space age/experimental, and more 60-70's soundtrack music to like detective/drama movies, or B movie art/sex film things..... provocative and seductive sounds but not deep bass sounds or science fiction. That's why things like pads, flutes, strings are my main concern with a keyboard. Enchanting sounds.

Something retro sounding maybe....like a gritty mellotron string sound. I'm thinking something with square, sine, saw to tweak too. A built in arp. would be cool.

I'm thinking though the filter/tweakability manipulation would come from the Sherman, so the synth doesn't need to really be "loaded" with features, just sound good.

Thanks for hearing me out.....ya feeling where I'm going with this?

Steelyfan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
yea, I meant the Juno 6, not 60.

OK. more info for those in the know:

The music I have in mind to use these for is less space age/experimental, and more 60-70's soundtrack music to like detective/drama movies, or B movie art/sex film things..... provocative and seductive sounds but not deep bass sounds or science fiction. That's why things like pads, flutes, strings are my main concern with a keyboard. Enchanting sounds.

Something retro sounding maybe....like a gritty mellotron string sound. I'm thinking something with square, sine, saw to tweak too. A built in arp. would be cool.

I'm thinking though the filter/tweakability manipulation would come from the Sherman, so the synth doesn't need to really be "loaded" with features, just sound good.

Thanks for hearing me out.....ya feeling where I'm going with this?

Steelyfan

Man, you should try some string machines. But the juno 6/60 is a good choice.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 Baikonour

If he's going for those vibes some string machine's might be even better suited than the Juno, Although the Juno is a cool synth which can mimmick some strings like that but they don't sound that 60's/70's to me.
Maybe something like the Korg Poly Ensembles?? The old Korg oscillator sounds even take me back to the 50's.
HOG
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I've got an MS-10 and a Micromoog...

The Korg is more versatile in terms of patching etc- but the Micromoog definitely has a warmer sound. I always thought that sort of talk was bull until I got it (car boot sale)- but it's not just a question of less top end or something- it sounds more 'expensive' if you know what I mean

External filtering on the moog is brilliant

Never had much time for polysynths- don't really suit the vibe I go for- but I do love rubbish sixties combo organs, got an acetone and a wem badged teisco, which both sound basically the same to me!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 ➑️
+1 Baikonour

If he's going for those vibes some string machine's might be even better suited than the Juno, Although the Juno is a cool synth which can mimmick some strings like that but they don't sound that 60's/70's to me.
Maybe something like the Korg Poly Ensembles?? The old Korg oscillator sounds even take me back to the 50's.
The Korg ensemble are nice. +1 on the osc, my favorite monosynth is the Minikorg 700s!

But yeah string machines, they all sound different as well and cheap (well appart the Solina.) Actually the solina firstly appear into a dutch organ (can't remember the brand now) but you see them once in awhile for like 200€... Arp bought the blue prints and made the solina string as a stand alone keyboard.
A favorite of mine is the Logan String Melody II (also branded by Honner), but there's many great sounding italian made string machines around...
πŸ“ Reply