Quantcast
advisory: depressing content - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
advisory: depressing content
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
advisory: depressing content

it's been a while since i've felt outraged by listening to the radio. i've been listening to a lot of NPR lately because terrestrial radio is just SO bad. not just the music, which of course is mostly ****, but the SOUND. my God, over the course of just 10 years it has deteriorated to such a great degree. it was irritating when stations started encoding their libraries into whatever lossy format, but tonite was the icing on the **** cake. myspace was streamed over my local station... no ****. i know that 10khz low-pass digital cheese grater anywhere. has anyone else heard this? XM sounds better than that.
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Yep, it's dark! I did a thirty minute mix for a big london radio station, i posted over an mp3 to the radio plugger to make sure it was alright. Then sent a link to a hi res file (it was all off vinyl converted at 24bit 96 done with a lavry) and a 16/44 file (dithered down from 2496 with sample manager.) They never downloaded either hi res file and the mix was broadcast as the mp3.
Yeah the mp3 was OK, the mix has disappeared into thin air and who really cares. I don't think it'll change until a new generation of radio listeners begin to laugh at this period in time of 'crunchy thin mp3 tunes.' I can't wait for kids to say ( maybe in 2020) " Dad your iPod sounds **** i much prefer Grandads stuff its got way more tits and balls."
The flip side is by getting stuff off the internet you get newer music from weirder parts of the musical universe, as soon as you only listen to music because of its sonic quality and not it's actual content you're in a worse place than any mp3 comprimise.

Cheers, from grumpy old vinyl head
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Salad ➡️
Yep, it's dark! I did a thirty minute mix for a big london radio station, i posted over an mp3 to the radio plugger to make sure it was alright. Then sent a link to a hi res file (it was all off vinyl converted at 24bit 96 done with a lavry) and a 16/44 file (dithered down from 2496 with sample manager.) They never downloaded either hi res file and the mix was broadcast as the mp3.
Yeah the mp3 was OK, the mix has disappeared into thin air and who really cares. I don't think it'll change until a new generation of radio listeners begin to laugh at this period in time of 'crunchy thin mp3 tunes.' I can't wait for kids to say ( maybe in 2020) " Dad your iPod sounds **** i much prefer Grandads stuff its got way more tits and balls."
The flip side is by getting stuff off the internet you get newer music from weirder parts of the musical universe, as soon as you only listen to music because of its sonic quality and not it's actual content you're in a worse place than any mp3 comprimise.

Cheers, from grumpy old vinyl head
HA! that's perfect, at least it wasn't myspace encoded and lopped off past 10khz. mp3 really doesn't bother me, unless a complete crap encoder was used at a low bitrate. been looking into turntables lately. i grew up with cassettes and cd's but my first listening experience was a Christmas vinyl that had a version of little drummer boy that enchanted me. anyway, thanks for the feedback and stay warm!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…