Quantcast
Logic: guitar amp pro set up? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic: guitar amp pro set up?
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Logic: guitar amp pro set up?

Whats the best way to set up guitar amp pro? im running my guitar through my grace m101.
I set my duets pres to +4 number 1.

In logic I make a mono track set input to 1 from duet
and output to 1-2.

I get a signal there but when i add in guitar amp pro it doesn't give me any effects.
so i added an auxillary and set the input to the same and output to the same
got a dual mono signal with botch tracks and added guitar amp pro
and it worked!
but i dont know if i should be recording in mono or stereo in guitar amp pro?

ALSO when I play i hear the dry signal underneath the distortion?
how can I hear just the distortion without the clean dry underneath it?
its only when i play it not when its playing back!

also should one use sends for reverb and compression on guitar or put it directly on the guitar tracks?
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rredline ➡️
Whats the best way to set up guitar amp pro? im running my guitar through my grace m101.
I set my duets pres to +4 number 1.

In logic I make a mono track set input to 1 from duet
and output to 1-2.

That's my chain minus the Grace. That all sounds good so far.

Quote:
I get a signal there but when i add in guitar amp pro it doesn't give me any effects.
Are you by chance having the Input Monitoring button on the channel strip highlighted? Don't think you'll hear effects when this is engaged but I can't check right now to see. Might be some preference in Logic also. Maybe something about "Software Monitoring" in the preferences?

Quote:
so i added an auxillary and set the input to the same and output to the same
got a dual mono signal with botch tracks and added guitar amp pro
and it worked!
but i dont know if i should be recording in mono or stereo in guitar amp pro?
Mono for sure.

Quote:
ALSO when I play i hear the dry signal underneath the distortion?
how can I hear just the distortion without the clean dry underneath it?
its only when i play it not when its playing back!
Your hearing both signals because you have two tracks going - the track with your guitar recording and the auxiliary channel which is being fed by the other. It's a little bit like saying, "I have a kick drum track and a snare drum track so why am I hearing both."

But to hear just the distortion effect you'd either have to turn down the fader all the way on the source channel or skip the auxiliary channel and put the effect/insert on the source channel.

Quote:

also should one use sends for reverb and compression on guitar or put it directly on the guitar tracks?
It's not any kind of rule that you don't put effects (inserts/plugins) on the source channel. But it is very handy to use auxiliary channels during mixing for the exact reasons that you already pointed out. You have the advantage of having the original signal together with the effected signal on the auxiliary channel and you can mix them to taste. Like parallel compression for example where you have on one channel a lightly compressed or not at all compressed signal of say a room mic for drums and you can send that to an auxiliary channel with really crazy, dirty smashed compression that you can dial in more or less of.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
well the sound got thicker when I used to mono channels.
guitar amp pro was in stero though? should be mono?
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
You need to enable Software Monitoring under the Audio section of the Preferences (apple+comma). Just make sure that it's checked off, it's under the "Core Audio" tab.

Then, go into Maestro and make sure that whichever input that your Grace is running through is muted. That way, when you record-enable your track in Logic, you're only getting the signal from Logic, and not from the built-in monitoring in the Apogee. (note that this may introduce some latency issues since you aren't monitoring through the hardware... reduce your buffer size if you need to.)

You can then put Guitar Amp Pro on the track and the sound coming through the track while it's in record should be affected by the plugin.

Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
sweet exactly what i needed!
📝 Reply