Quantcast
Need advice for studio upgrades - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need advice for studio upgrades
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Need advice for studio upgrades

I need some outside opinions here. I run a small PT studio using PT 6.4 and a mix core system on a G4. Runs great, always has. The converter is a PT 20 bit unit. I have monitors, some mics (SM7b, a few 57s, a C1000, and an AKG D112), headphone monitoring system, a few drives, and a bunch of cables. That's it.

I did/do a lot of video game music, but I moved to a small town and now I am getting a lot of bands calling. All popular genres...classical, rock, soft ballad, country, etc...

I have 8+ grand to spend and I have been researching my ass off. It's hard for me to demo equipment because I am 5 hours away from a major city.

I can't decide on going to a PT LE system (maybe a used DIGI 002, BLA mod) which would force me to upgrade my mac to run the native stuff, or just add some farm cards to my mix system and a nice converter (don't know which one, maybe an ad8000).

The PTLE route:

New mac computer (to run native systems) $2000.00
PT 8 $175
BLA Mod $1000.00 (this is Canadian dollars)
Used Digi 002 around $600.00.

That's just under 4K right there.

PT Mix upgrade route:

Some used farm cards...maybe $500
a converter...maybe $2000.00CAD for a used ad8000.
some connectivity...maybe another $300.00

The latter would save me about a grand. Is it worth it? Am I better off avoiding LE and staying with a TDM system? Vise versa?

I want to spend a chunk of my budget on a preamp/comp or combination of 2 units. (trying a summit mpc100 at my studio right now). If anyone has an opinion on a good versatile preamp to go with my SM7b, I'm listening. I used the summit today on a session. It didn't have enough gain for the SM7b, but rocked for a tough meaty bass sound. I may buy it and something else (Great River? Daking mic pre one?)

I also need a few basic workhorse mics - thinking about some Kel M1s and a Kel HM7U (would that provide a good alternate to my SM7b? for soft female vox?), but only based on others opinions of them. I can return them if I don't like what I hear.

I've also got 2K of my budget slated for building a control room in a newly rented space.

A few other items like studio cabling, some stands, RAM, and my budget is blown.

These are big decisions for me as it affects my family too. This is our bread and butter.

If any one can kick in their 2 cents I would appreciate it. As you can see, I am in a state of confusion.

How would YOU spend my money if you had my system?

Thanks,

John
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Considering everything you'll need it's gonna be pretty tight. You start could with checking out the m audio Profire 2626 with pro tools M Powered. that might be a good option to keep the head end cost down. Check out the specs on it, it's pretty impressive. After that I think your money would be best spent on some good mics, preamps and most importantly, room treatment.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Poop ➡️
Considering everything you'll need it's gonna be pretty tight. You start could with checking out the m audio Profire 2626 with pro tools M Powered. that might be a good option to keep the head end cost down. Check out the specs on it, it's pretty impressive. After that I think your money would be best spent on some good mics, preamps and most importantly, room treatment.
Thanks Iggy Poop. Loved your record Raw Pooper, BTW.

Anyway, I think that puts me back into needing a more powerful computer because I would be running an all native system. No? I don't mind shelling out for a sturdy computer, but as you noted my budget is tight.

I should mention that I have a barter deal going on for control room construction...I have a bit more cash than I eluded to.

I agree that some good mics/preamps/room treatment is going to make the most difference. That is why I am even considering keeping my old system with a few upgrades (converter, farm cards). I WANT to spend more on outboard/Room...but I am worried that my DAW needs a kick up a notch too.

PT 8 has some features that would streamline my video game work, on the other hand I have done it for years on my PT Mix (there's always a flipside with me)

I will check out the specs on the system you mentioned. Thanks for the advice. I always associated M-powered with home demos. Maybe that's not the case.

Any more thoughts are greatly appreciated.
📝 Reply