Advice for overheads - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice for overheads
Old 25th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Advice for overheads

Hi,

I am looking for decent pair of overheads. Currently I have considered Neumann km184 set and Akg451 set. Also Akg 414 pair could be nice.

Have you any experiences of above mentioned and if you have another options in the same price range, please let me know!

Simo Orpana
Studio Bad Mama
Finland
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
414 are great as OH'S and a versatile microphone also.
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
All of them would do, but 184s are not as good as their prices suggest IMO. I can't see why you shouldn't be able to make great recordings with 414s and 451s if you know what you are doing. I love those two mics.

B.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Pick up a pair of naiants and see if you like them. They are cheap enough to give a try.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone ➑️
414 are great as OH'S and a versatile microphone also.

Yes.

Either choice... the 451's or the 414's will be AWESOME mics to add to your collection and can be used on every instrument imaginable.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
winners don't use km184's..

sorry had to sloganize it. Those mics ruined too many recordings before i sold them...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
414s are great, versatile mics. I really like them in omni as outriggers, actually, where their huge low-end saved a live recording Imade of a great brass ensemble in a terrible room... They are also nice as drum OHs if placed right. And, they are super-duper tom mics in hypercardiod (massive proximity effect)! You really can't go wrong with having a pair in the locker.

KM184s are a bit rough sounding; not bright, really, just kinda brittle. I'd go with KMi84s, Schoeps, or KM140, instead, for a pair of nice SDCs.

Get ready for the AT and Gefell brigade to chime in...

Greg

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshorephatty ➑️
winners don't use km184's..

sorry had to sloganize it. Those mics ruined too many recordings before i sold them...
..are you kidding me?

I love them...throw them behind an upright piano...great sound!
Old 25th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Ok. Sounds like I'm going for 451 or 414. Some ideas about differences in sound between these?

Sim Orpana
Studio Bad Mama
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
451 is a small diaphragm and 414 is a large one. Naturally both have advantages and disadvantages over one another due to structural reasons. You would do better if you bought both and tried them as much as you could until you knew them inside out. The choices usually differ from application to application.

B.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Stereo Mic?

Have you considered a single point stereo mic? I really love my Shure VP-88. Great mic. Balanced, phase coherent sound. Super easy setup. Inexpensive.

Steven
Jealousy Curve
Jealousy Curve on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keire ➑️
..are you kidding me?

I love them...throw them behind an upright piano...great sound!
Nope, not kidding. Sounds strong but km184's + digital = bad.

YMMV.. I can make them work but don't like putting in that much effort for the tones i like. Your tastes may differ. Only way i've found them to work is with a suitable LPF killing a lot of the 10k+ stuff.

Russell
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
have a listen to Beyer MC930's. they are quite versatile, lots of depth... and have that KM84 vibe.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Many LDC, SDC , Dynamik and Ribbon MicΒ΄s can be used for OH with success.
Connect a good Dealer and he will give you Mics to try out before you buy them to find
the one to fit your needs.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
In this day and age, mention of adding mics for OH without mentioning ribbons is sinful.

My Peluso r14's get used more than any other mic I own. Killing on oh, guitar amp, some vocals, all horns, strings... basically all the instruments you might have troubles recording! I cannot say enough good things about this mic. Wish I had 4.

The 414 is an amazingly versatile mic, depending on what you're going for. A good ribbon however, sounds good almost anywhere. I only reach for the 414's when the ribbons are all on horns, or on "modern" jazz recording.... or when the ksm 32's (killing overhead mic!) are on leslie etc...

FWIW, my partner and I have about 40 mics to pick from. On the most recent session the 414's went on toms, the ribbons on oh.

Speaking of which, the 184 is a fantastic tom mic. Great on many percussive sources.
πŸ“ Reply