Symetrix 488/Any thought's?/ listen/sample - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Symetrix 488/Any thought's?/ listen/sample
Old 25th January 2009
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Symetrix 488/Any thought's?/Anyone??

Hey Slutz!

I need advice.I just bought this Symmetrix 488 on Ebay for $80.99(came with 16 short patch cables mogomi and neutrik trs) I think a good price?
I just ran a simple loop(rolands) from my Vdrums with a random kit
and ran it from my pre's to the 488 to the HD192(motu, BL mod.)
I also used my DBX 118 I just bought for bass +U5.

But,the test is for the 488, the first 13 sec. is compressed the REST is not(except bass).You'll need to turn it up! It hasn't been leveled up.

What's your take on it? Is it tighter? What sounds better?
Even though it's a random crappy sampled drum loop.

Any advice? Should I compress this way going in? or only on certain instruments?

Thanks!\Trevor

here's the link:
4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download 01 Vdrum_488.mp3

Last edited by trevort; 26th January 2009 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: SPELLING WRONG/title change
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Hey trevor,

Sorry, I was finishing up mix session with a client when you called earlier. I'll try to give you a buzz sometime tomorrow.

Anyhow, I don't hear a whole lot of compression happening there. The compressed half sounds like it might be a little bit louder than the unprocessed part. Sounds like a little bit of a sloowww release to me. When the snare and kick are doing those faster rolls, it doesn't sound like the compressor ever recovers. i.e. The GR needle just sitting about -3dB it sounds like.

I say smash it and see how that sounds. It will 'amplify' the effect that the compressor is putting on and you'll be better able to tell what's happening.

As far as compressing going in...I love the analog juice getting my drums a little wet before the digital tape, but that's just me.

Neil
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks Neil,

I wasn't really wanting this take to sound overly compressed.
I just want it to kiss the signal a bit. I think it does sound louder even though I tried to match the signals. I noticed I was able to drive
my pre' s a little harder with the compressor engaged which is good
so it'll kind of work as a limiter even though it's not set that way.
So, I'll sqeeze in a little more signal/bits and control transient's.
It's not really meant to be a character compressor.
The manual says it's fast attack and release. It pegged at -5 db.

I have a Symmetrix 501 coming possibly 2 and I plan to run a parallel buss with that and smash the sound in mono perhaps and add that to the
sound. I'm trying to see if I can get a usable sound from the Vdrum kit
by processing the hell out of it. The kit in the example wasn't one that I'd use. The 501 was used a lot for bass and kick sometimes vocals and one guy said he'd use it to smash drums. I have one that I bought I'm not sure it has the switch on it (paid$100.00 for) probably DBX Vca.
The other I'm holding has the switch which means it has a Valley people Vca a bit more sought after.It's a little smoother I believe.($250.00)
Anyway these will do the job but, I must admit I should have kept my compressors.

Talk to you latter Neil!

Trevor
๐Ÿ“ Reply