Quantcast
Beyerdynamic microphones - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beyerdynamic microphones
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Beyerdynamic microphones

I recently did some projects where I used a lot of my Beyerdynamic microphones, M69/M101/M500
and holy moly these are not even the praised M88/M201/M160 but I like them.
I like them a lot.
The low end is big yet defined & the top end is very pleasing also clear & defined without being sharp or harsh.
Very direct & clear yet somehow mellow as well (they are old)
I just like how they translate

Currently following auctions on a M88 & M201 heh

I can't wait.

Anybody else share this experience?
I feel they bring a lot more character in the low end & highs than Shure's or Senns
sure sometimes one would want to avoid that.
Old 25th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
heck yeah, man. 88 is a good kick drum mic, 201 is an EXCELLENT snare mic, and it's pretty good on guitars, too.
and I freaking love the 160s. such a great mic for the money. wonderful as a drum overhead, great on brass, small, good rejection.
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a clutch of Beyerdynamic mics that see a lot of use and are just great. Some of the models that one doesn't hear of much (including the M101s - I have a pair of those here...) measure up very nicely alongside their more feted and celebrated brethren.

Hard to say what gives some mics all the attention while others do a stunning job in relative obscurity. C'est la vie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 ➑️
I feel they bring a lot more character in the low end & highs than Shure's or Senns
sure sometimes one would want to avoid that.
Certainly they have a slightly different character. Polished and restrained with a certain smoothness, perhaps. They take eq very well also.

Not quite sure why "one would want to avoid" any of that. YMMV
Old 25th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
do a search. there's a couple of beyer mic threads on this forum.
beyer is probably my fave mic company. thumbsup
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Aha lot's of fans :D

By avoiding that I mean I don't find them very neutral maybe because of age but they add quite a lote of euhm oomph without them being muddy, and the top end gets a treatment as well, so sometimes something a bit more neutral might be required?
that's what I meant, the interesting thing about microphones I find if you use different mics to contrast one against the other. That together with mic placement is where the EQ'ing starts.

It's just that I was amazed every time I tried out one of the beyers in front of the source I was instantly pleased.

The M160 & a M130 is also on the wishlist

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibike ➑️
do a search. there's a couple of beyer mic threads on this forum.
beyer is probably my fave mic company. thumbsup
mine too. second is Gefell.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Use my 201s all the time. I have one pair thats at least 20 years old and another pair that I just got last month from someone here on GS.
Han
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Don't forget the M260, the old one with the small tuchel is great.

And I always read about the M88 as a kick mic, but it is a great vocal mic, great on banjo, upright bass, guitarcabs etc. It's extremely rejective and very versatile. The off axis response is beautiful as well. Once you've used the M88, M201 and M160/260, you're done with the SM57/58. :D < smiley.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plexisys ➑️
Use my 201s all the time. I have one pair thats at least 20 years old and another pair that I just got last month from someone here on GS.
As well as a pair of 201s, we have a pair of Revox M3500s, which were made by Beyerdynamic and are basically a variant of the 201 with higher impedance (600 ohms as opposed to 200, without the passive secondary coil and with a slightly greater presence in the response curve.

Great for snare sizzle and a dozen other things.

Occasionally they come up s/h and if you can find a good one they're well worth having.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
you think those are good? wait till you hear the MC930's !

but seriously, the mics you mentioned using aren't as widely used as others but are still amazing mics in their own right. The m101 is like an omni m201, such a big focused sound for an omni. The m500 would be the ideal m160 for a vocalist.

i love my M160 and M201.
While i do put the Audix i5 on snare from time to time, the M201 spends more time on snare than anything else. It just takes EQ and Compression so well, you can mold it into anything. Not too bright, nor dull. Its so round and really just provides the ideal snare sound for the mix 80% of the time, doesn't require an amazing preamp either... i'm typically using it with a MH 2882 preamp.

I used to have a second M160 but found that i liked using just one with a shinybox ribbon in m/s so didn't need the second so much. Then i discovered how much i love putting the M160 in front of a Vibro Champ and now i want my second m160 back again!

I can't remember the last time i used a Shure dynamic in a session...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay ➑️
...and now i want my second m160 back again!
That's because you broke an unspoken AE rule by selling off a perfectly good tool. And, BTW, M160s are great for micing in stereo too - which is another reason why I won't be parting with either of mine any time soon!

Microphones to a sound engineer are like brushes are to a painter - you can never have too many options!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, Adamjay I know, these are the Beyers you can pick up for cheap, the M88 M160's and M 201's already are a bit more costly because those are the wanted ones.
I've worked with M160's before and loved them.
But I was amazed at how good the ones I have sounded,
The project was simple, bass, brushed hi-hat, vocal, acoustic guitar.
so I really went for sound and tried a lot of mics and ended up with the Beyers & an AKG C414 b-uls & the low mid & highs are really yummy, no eq added

Hmm small condensers from beyer? MC930's you say? I'll look into that.
I'm still looking for small condensers, on my list were AKG C451 or Gefell MV962/M70
I have a MV962/UM70 that I like a lot.

first up is a M88 & M160 maybe an extra M69 if I can find one.

Actually most of my microphones are old european models, Beyer, AKG, Gefell, Sennheiser.. and I totally love dynamic microphones.
I think the shures and even the sennheisers will see less use in the future :D i'll start the session with beyers :p
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han ➑️
... the old one with the small tuchel is great.
An unfortunate aspect of growing old is a shrinking tuchel...
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The m160 and the m201 are probably the 2 most used microphones I have.
The m201 is the best sounding snare mic I've used and it seems to do something really special to my ears when used with my console (auditronics 501) preamps. I always use one on snare and one on rack tom, and just bought a second pair for floor tom and hi-hat.
The m160 is the perfect mic for any sort of amplified instrument. I don't really use it on bass much because I have more appropriate options, but I use it on pretty much everything else that comes out of an amplifier. All you have to do is put it in front of the grill and it sounds great.
I've used the multipattern LDCS (MC-740?) and they sound great as well. I'd really love to try out the MC-930 and the M88 sometime.
But yeah, I think that it would be easy to make a great sounding record using just 201s, 160s and one or two 740s.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The M500 is a great ribbon for a variety of tasks, and especially shines on vocals.

My favorite Beyer mic is the M380 though... figure 8 pattern... possibly the best bass or kick drum mic I've ever used... and suprisingly good on deep male vocals...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I just got a pair of M160s. I bought the anniversary ones. I'm blown away by the sound of these on guitar cabs. Overheads are awesome too, especially since I've got a low ceiling in my drum room. I can definitely see them getting a ton of use.
Lives for gear

12 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i have a M380TG that i swear by when miking bass drums... great mic.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I have a pair of 930's. Love them on hand percussion and other things -- they really 'sound like a record'. Bigger and warmer as compared to other sdc's. Great for rock. Very high output and moderately directional. Place them 2 to 3 feet from the source.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Here I tend to prefer the M69 over the M88 ... yes yes yes ...
I love my old grey M260 also
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I been meaning to pick up some beyerdynamics, keep getting sidetracked.

Han
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trubac ➑️
Here I tend to prefer the M69 over the M88 ... yes yes yes ...
I love my old grey M260 also
Howcome? IMHO the M88 has a bigger bottom and the hi end is smoother than the M69.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ah the M69 is fine as well.

I did not know there was so much love for Beyer mics.

Sounds like a record is also a good description, cause I was really with happy with the sound without any eq.

Now quickly pick up a few before everybody reading this thread will buy a few extra heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Beyer are my favourite mic company too.

I have 2x M88, 2x M201 and a M160 at the moment. I hope to add a pair of MC930's another M160 this year.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i own an m160. I love it on Guitar cabs. I also miked this organ that someone on my block was throwing away. I got a pretty thick bass synth sound from it with the m160 even at very low volume. (The thing is not capable of getting very loud) It only has one very old speaker, and no audio output connections, so i have to mic it and crank the gain. I was very happy with how the m160 handled the job. didn't try any other mics becasue i didn't need to.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have a pair of nearly unheard of M600, Soundstar III vocal mics. Hypercardioid, very smoth, with a flat response chart that rises slightly - -1 at 100 and +1 at 10k. They are reserved for (mostly female jazz) singer who really know how to work a mic, and being hyper they need to be pointed properly. They sound reallt great anywhere a dynamic hyper is needed!

I worked with a jazz singer in the 80s who had one, and she sounded so good with it, I loved how it made her voice sound so clear and real. I found a pair at Musician's Trading post in Santa Cruz, but otherwise have never seen aother one, and hardly ever hear about them. My secret weapon for a number of sources!

There's another thread on Beyers here too...

Lou
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
MC930 is an excellent mic for acoustic guitar, among other things.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The M69 is a great mic for peanuts on ebay. I keep buying them when I see them!
Less low end than an M88 but the same character
Beyer rule
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Pretty much only use m201 on snare anymore. Picked up the Opus99 for kick drum duty and I'm loving it on almost every session. M160 for brass, guitar, and overheads most of the time. Man, my studio should be sponsored by Beyer.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
mc930 - awesome on accoustic guitar, great on OH's (dry room), viola, and choir.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Used my new 930s on a fiddle session last night. Sounds bloody great. I did a shoot out with a DPA 4006 and the 930 beat it. Of course, the 4006 is omni, but that's a Β£300 vs a Β£1000 mic. I'm a happy man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafs ➑️
mc930 - awesome on accoustic guitar, great on OH's (dry room), viola, and choir.
πŸ“ Reply