Quantcast
Technique for Histoire du Melody Nelson - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Technique for Histoire du Melody Nelson
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey I like analog synths & stringmachines as well.
got a nice small collection : Minimoog, Minikorg, Mono/Poly, Roland : SH-5 / RS-505 / VP-330 etc...
I'll open a new thread for discussing synths, seems fun

But here you got to refer to Gainsbourg at least once in every post heh
And preferably about the recording of Melody Nelson (but it seems we don't know to much about it) or say great things about it :D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 ➡️
Hey I like analog synths & stringmachines as well.
got a nice small collection : Minimoog, Minikorg, Mono/Poly, Roland : SH-5 / RS-505 / VP-330 etc...
I'll open a new thread for discussing synths, seems fun

But here you got to refer to Gainsbourg at least once in every post heh
And preferably about the recording of Melody Nelson (but it seems we don't know to much about it) or say great things about it :D
hehe...We have some analog synths in common, i have a Minikorg 700s (the one with the 2nd osc) which I love (if I had to keep one synth it would be this one) Got a mono/poly, and I used to have a VP 330 that we sold a couple of month ago...Also we have some other Roland (RS09, RS202, JX3P with PG200, JX-10 (with Pg800) a SC Pro-One, a Farfisa Compact Deluxe, Yamaha CS-5, Logan Melody II, Jen Strings, a Fender Rhodes MK1 and a Wurlitzer EP 200A.
I'd love to have a SH-5 though!!!

Ok back to gainsbourg....
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
KM86 for voice.
but that's on the video of Initials BB, what was used on Melody Nelson?

The video shows what looks like a front address mic ---probably a KM54 or C60 (hard to tell because of the windscreen). The KM86 is a side address mic---which I read was used for Melody Nelson on this page:

Neumann : Avis Microphones Neumann

If you scroll down a bit there is a section about the 86---I roughly translated the paragraph I'm referring to in my post above.

-Jeff
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ah allright, sorry got a bit confused,
So KM 86 for vocals on Melody Nelson, check.

But i'm not really looking for the vocal sound heh as that will be impossible without Serge
Recording some good drumming, bass & guitars in that kind of sound will be a bit easier.

and the total ambience of the record which is of course in the music but also in the sound, man i'd like to get that.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
yeah Goldfrapp is okay Never heard the song you are talking about will check it out.
Don't get me started on Coldplay, the god put a smile on my face thing is based on a musical guitar piece of Baden Powell somewhere in '63. Canto de ossana
then the other song the chorus is ripped of Kraftwerks computerworld.
and now there's something with Satriani and Coldplay going on.

Yes Melody Nelson is one of my favourite Gainsbourg albums, although he made many I really like everything starting from 1958 to 1979 I guess.
Agree with you on Coldplay except for one important point (as facts count, I think!):

Coldplay asked for and received permission to use the melody of Kraftwerk's Computer Love for their song "Talk".

However, and this is kind of funny, they did rip off a Bloc Party melody for the end refrain of the same song. What kind of guy gets permission from the well-known "cool" band and yet just steals from the (at the time) pretty unknown group?

The song in question they ripped off was from the Bloc Party EP before the debut album.

All the other stuff too? Ripped off. Shameless! I was ripped off once big a big name in my country, and it feels pretty bad, even excluding the money issue.
Old 12th August 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

demande simulation pret personnel en ligne - Pret personnel en ligne et de comparer les meilleurs taux afin de... La demande de prêt personnelen lignedemande simulation pret personnel en ligne
Old 12th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hello there! yep great forum have a good time!
and you chose to introduce yourself in this thread because????
You like Melody Nelson ? heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hello there! yep great forum have a good time!
and you chose to introduce yourself in this thread because????
You like Melody Nelson ? heh
Maybe he just likes the title, the words... Histoire de Melody Nelson... can't blame him.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Me neither
Old 13th August 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Hey, I just bought the album on 180g vinyl!

And I have a Logan AND a Solina...

Quote:
Me neither
Old 28th June 2019
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Sorry to bring back this old thread, but I have been looking through Howard Massey's book "The Great British Recording Studios" where he talks about the Philips Studio at Marble Arch, London where Melody Nelson, as far as I can tell, was recorded. This is apart from the orchestra that was recorded in Paris.

Microphones
“The Philips mic locker featured microphones from AKG, Beyer, Philips and Neumann. A 1991 inventory following the sale of the studio listed the following models: AKG C414, C451, C535, D12, D20, D24, D25, D190, D190E, D224E, Beyer M66, M67, M201, M260; and Neumann KM64, KM84, SM69, U64D, U87. Roger Wake also recalls the studio owning several Neumann U67 microphones.”

I have been unable to find any information as to the exact microphones used on Melody, but if these are amongst those available, then maybe some of you have qualified guesses as to what might have been used on the different instruments?

Console:
“In 1968, when the studio went 8-track, the desk was upgraded to a Neve 20 x 8 model”

Tape Machine:

“In 1968, when Philips went 8-track, the studio added an Ampex 8-track machine; later, Ampex MM1100”

Reverb:
“Another listing from 1979 states that Philips was offering four “electronic” echo chambers; one or more of these were certainly EMT plates, but at least one of them may have been what one source calls an “enormous in-house spring reverb”, which would indicate that it was a homebuilt unit”

I found this interesting, and hopefully some of you will as well
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The information given in this thread about the bass player on Melody Nelson is wrong. It wasn't Flowers, it was Dave Richmond. It wasn't a Fender Jazz Bass.
The bass he used is rather exotic: a Burns Bison. With flatwounds for shure!
I'm a huge fan of Flowers, too. But Gainsbourgh/Richmond were one of the reasons I became a bassplayer. Je T'aime... He has such a special sound and attack. Even as a child I loved so different music from Manfred Mann to Bert Kaempfert to Serge Gainsbourg. Only realized later that Dave Richmond was the intersection.

His style reminds me a lot of the tic-tac style used in country music. He plays with a strong attack and always with a plectrum. You hear his notes clear even on an iPhone speaker or a car radio in the 60s. But there is a kind of tension between the strong attack and the strings sounding kind of - don't know the correct english word - worn out / baggy, like having a low tension. But I'm unsure if his strings really had low tension. Other bass players than me have a different opinion.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/who...elson.1326990/

http://www.jazz4now.co.uk/biography.php

Flowers played when the album was played in its entirety live a few years ago. Flowers played on Gainsbourg albums, but not on the - for me - definitive ones.
Flowers deservers enough fame for what he did on Lou Reed albums alone. But his style is very different.
Take A Walk On The Wild Side...

Last edited by DirkP; 28th June 2019 at 10:06 PM..
📝 Reply