Quantcast
Looking for realtor in LA area specializing in homes with studios. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for realtor in LA area specializing in homes with studios.
Old 25th January 2009

🎧 15 years
Looking for realtor in LA area specializing in homes with studios.

Looking in and around Hollywood and the valley.

Found these guys:
Homes with recording studios for sale Los Angeles Homes with recording studios
Contact us

???
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo ➑️

Found these guys:
Contact us

???
Just cought myself on thought to move to LA and live there.
Home with studio (given that studio as business is gradually dying) might be good acquisition nowadays.
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looking at LA home prices I have ONE thing to say.... MOVE OUT !!!! lolheh
Dude my studio is in a 5 Bedroom 2 bath double garage and big yard ..for less then $100K....with the price difference I fly o LA every week end if I need to

🎧 15 years
Wow, not the replies I expected.

I live in LA and have a great career and need a house with a studio. That's the deal. Money is relevent, what's a lot to a guy pan handling on the street is nothing to me, what's a lot to me is nothing to Trump. The houses are as high as they are here because of the movie, TV and music business. People out here in entertainment make more by average then people in satelite cities. I could move to Huoston and my career as I know it would tank and mean tank in a major way because my career is being propelled by entities in Hollywood, I would loose that and be f**ked.

So does anyone on gearslutz have any experience buying a house with a studio built in, in Los Angeles. I love you guys but please lets not turn this thread into a 'prices in LA' thread. It's a tired subject and I just found out they are gutting my building to be a 5 star hotel, so this is serious s**t to me and my family and I need real answers and real solutions. Moving is not an option. I'm studioless at the end of the year.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Simple place / POC possibilities

James, check out BrettSimons.com ★. Brett has a loft with a simple studio, great bass player, and he may put you in contact with other spaces. Also, Brett may have concepts to get things done right in his LA location. Eventually I'll rotate out to LA, looking forward to it! Brett's studio: Creating <i>The Tin Room</i>

Last edited by GrooveMerchant; 25th January 2009 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: Added Brett's blog/studio link
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
James I have a house but its on the boarder, LA county. I think it might be a bit of a drive for you and its not a terribly big studio. Its in a town called Whittier if you have ever been there. (Cool town) Here is a few pics of the humble small studio.

and I have a video on you tube...
YouTube - Ear Witness Commerical

and some albums that you could look up on myspace that I worked on at the studio
Steve Didelot - SD Choir
Tyrone Wells - Snapshot
Repeat Repeat - Rocket pack, No Rocket pack
Glare of Rockets
Betsy Usher

actually you could just go to my myspace and they are all in my top 12
MySpace.com - EarWitnessStudios - 34 - Male - WHITTIER, California - www.myspace.com/earwitness

yea James we met at one of the namm after parties so I saw the space you are working in now, and my studio is a bit bigger but same hight ceilings but more booths, an amp room and a vocal booth.

Let me know...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
So does anyone on gearslutz have any experience buying a house with a studio built in, in Los Angeles. I love you guys but please lets not turn this thread into a 'prices in LA' thread. It's a tired subject and I just found out they are gutting my building to be a 5 star hotel, so this is serious s**t to me and my family and I need real answers and real solutions. Moving is not an option. I'm studioless at the end of the year.
James, have you considered buying a house and then putting the studio in yourself? Even though it will be more work, you will have a much larger selection of houses to choose from and you can build the studio the way you want it.

Cheers,
--
Don

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveMerchant ➑️
James, check out BrettSimons.com ★. Brett has a loft with a simple studio, great bass player, and he may put you in contact with other spaces. Also, Brett may have concepts to get things done right in his LA location. Eventually I'll rotate out to LA, looking forward to it! Creating <i>The Tin Room</i>
Thanks.

Also I didn't want to seem like a d**k in my previous post, I'm just trying to stay positive about this. There's some much negativity in music these days and it just doesn't serve me personally. If I go into this with fear I'm cooked.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by idylldon ➑️
James, have you considered buying a house and then putting the studio in yourself? Even though it will be more work, you will have a much larger selection of houses to choose from and you can build the studio the way you want it.

Cheers,
--
Don
Yeah, my client last night is a land developer and architect, so while I worked on his daughters record he started drawig up some design ideas. My studio, minus the entrance way and my office is only 270 square feet. Control room 14X14, iso 7X10. So I'd like at least double. I've moved into more of a writing and publishing career, so it's not a commercial spot at all, just me and my peep but the writing sessions are 6 to 7 days a week with up to 6 people or so in the room with clients and A&R. I'd love some elbow room, it gets tight in my control room.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earwitness ➑️
James I have a house but its on the boarder, LA county. I think it might be a bit of a drive for you and its not a terribly big studio. Its in a town called Whittier if you have ever been there. (Cool town) Here is a few pics of the humble small studio.

and I have a video on you tube...
YouTube - Ear Witness Commerical

and some albums that you could look up on myspace that I worked on at the studio
Steve Didelot - SD Choir
Tyrone Wells - Snapshot
Repeat Repeat - Rocket pack, No Rocket pack
Glare of Rockets
Betsy Usher

actually you could just go to my myspace and they are all in my top 12
MySpace.com - EarWitnessStudios - 34 - Male - WHITTIER, California - www.myspace.com/earwitness

yea James we met at one of the namm after parties so I saw the space you are working in now, and my studio is a bit bigger but same hight ceilings but more booths, an amp room and a vocal booth.

Let me know...
R u selling?

I think Whittier is to far, everyone we work with for the most part is Hollywood, west side and valley.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
PM sent...
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
House in Hollywood hills

Hi

A few months ago this was available. Not sure the current status:

Brian Courville & JB Fung - 3170 Durand Drive, Hollywood Hills - Sotheby's

Also DO you Know Matt Marin? Used to Work for Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis but I believe he is involved in Real estate and especially studios.

I have his number in my office so drop me a line if you need me to look it up during the week,

Good luck with the hunt

George
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
more pics

It gets really good drum sounds and the studio was basically built into a 2 1/2 car garage. I don't have pics of the entry way and vocal booth or amp room/storage but I could take pics while I'm there today. There is also a breeze way inbetween the house and studio that is a nice hang out spot and its not a big house 3 bed 1 bath 1,028 sf and I think the studio is another 480sf or something like that.
Let me know,
Sam
[email protected]
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you decide to build a studio, be mindful of the differences in city permitting. I have a friend in Glendale who built a nice studio in his yard, but the city was quite difficult with the permits. He was limited to 500 square feet total, had to be 6 ft from property line, etc. Los Angeles is far less restrictive. Are you trying to stay in Hollywood?

Is The Mothership still for sale?

+1 on the LA bashing, by the way. People who don't work in our industry don't get it...haha...I keep getting this "Move to Tennessee" **** from my inlaws and I'm like "So I can do WHAT for a living?" ...ah well....
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
p.s. You might contact Rob Hoffman (robmix on GS). He was looking at places a couple years back...ended up converting part of his house, but I'd bet he'd have some ideas.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds ➑️
If you decide to build a studio, be mindful of the differences in city permitting. I have a friend in Glendale who built a nice studio in his yard, but the city was quite difficult with the permits. He was limited to 500 square feet total, had to be 6 ft from property line, etc. Los Angeles is far less restrictive. Are you trying to stay in Hollywood?

Is The Mothership still for sale?

+1 on the LA bashing, by the way. People who don't work in our industry don't get it...haha...I keep getting this "Move to Tennessee" **** from my inlaws and I'm like "So I can do WHAT for a living?" ...ah well....
I'd like to stay in and around Hollwyood if possible but I'm open to places outside, probably not to far outside, I was just contacted regarding a house near Pasadena, that would probably be as far as I could go and even that's a stretch.

Mothership?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Yea that is a good 45 min. to hour drive. :-(
maybe not the best match... All that to say like someone else here said I'm building my own studio and I found a contractor that is a songwriter and was ready to do a new album. We traded straight accross and I'm doing a lot of the work myself and with friends. You can check out my new spot in the photo journals of new studio projects on this site under 'New Ear Witness Studio from Scratch'
Its been a wild ride to build but this is a studio I'm going to have for years to come.
good luck James!
keep it positive ;-)
Sam

🎧 15 years
Quote:
p.s. You might contact Rob Hoffman (robmix on GS). He was looking at places a couple years back...ended up converting part of his house, but I'd bet he'd have some ideas.
Good idea, he's actually been working on a project with me at the studio, that dudes a bad mofo at makin music. No joke!!

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earwitness ➑️
Yea that is a good 45 min. to hour drive. :-(
maybe not the best match... All that to say like someone else here said I'm building my own studio and I found a contractor that is a songwriter and was ready to do a new album. We traded straight accross and I'm doing a lot of the work myself and with friends. You can check out my new spot in the photo journals of new studio projects on this site under 'New Ear Witness Studio from Scratch'
Its been a wild ride to build but this is a studio I'm going to have for years to come.
good luck James!
keep it positive ;-)
Sam
Sam,

Is your place for sale? Also how you doin? I have pics of us at that shootout on my computer.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall ➑️
I'm buying a home in Fl. that already has vaulted ceilings.. I plan on doing some mods... I think it will work out great.. 5 or 600 sq feet for the studio 1500 or so for me.. I don't think the required mods are going to be that extensive or expensive.

DIY will probably save a bunch of scratch in the long run.. It's not rocket science as they say.

Good luck man.. finding the right place and moving can be a nightmare
When I found out they were kicking us all out of the building I was scared as hell but now as the concept settles into my mind I think it's gonna be good. Between my studio and my townhouse I'm paying insane rent, pissing all that money away every month, it's time to get smart with things and step up. Though I know nothing about building a studio so it should be another fun journey!
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Good idea, he's actually been working on a project with me at the studio, that dudes a bad mofo at makin music. No joke!!
He's da man....good buddy of mine...what are you guys working on?

The Mothership was Steve Vai's old place. It was a house with a studio in it. Sounded like it needed a little work, but from what I knew it was a big place and in the Hollywood Hills somewhere (I think).
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
This guy posts on craiglist alot. I don't know anything about him personally though.

Norm Kerner

🎧 15 years
Quote:
He's da man....good buddy of mine...what are you guys working on?

The Mothership was Steve Vai's old place. It was a house with a studio in it. Sounded like it needed a little work, but from what I knew it was a big place and in the Hollywood Hills somewhere (I think).
I got some interest with a dance pop girl I manage and produce so Rob's on board to help out. I love that guy, what a huge talent and cool cat.

I remember when he was selling and he also had his old mix rig on eBay.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sam,

Is your place for sale? Also how you doin? I have pics of us at that shootout on my computer.
Business is good and keepn' busy. Building a new 615sf studio from scratch. Check it out in the photo studio build page. I'm so busy these days I didn't make it out to namm and haven't even been to hollywood in ages. I need to get out, if your havn' another party some time I'm there.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Doug Perry who runs rack attack audio rentals is also a Realtor focusing on studios. I know he does commercial, but I am not sure about residential. Might be worth asking him.Do not know his Realtor contact info, but I am sure this will get you to him

RACK ATTACK RENTALS - PRO TOOLS HD - VINTAGE NEVE - PRO AUDIO FX PROCESSORS
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoh1 ➑️
Hi

A few months ago this was available. Not sure the current status:

Brian Courville & JB Fung - 3170 Durand Drive, Hollywood Hills - Sotheby's

Also DO you Know Matt Marin? Used to Work for Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis but I believe he is involved in Real estate and especially studios.

I have his number in my office so drop me a line if you need me to look it up during the week,

Good luck with the hunt

George
Wow this house is sooo amazing! I'm running to buy some lotto tix right now to see if I can make a dream come true.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Christine Lloyd specializes in selling homes with studios. Her husband Bruce Maddocks used to be chief engineer at the Record Plant and at Capitol.

Christine Lloyd - Such A Lovely Home - Realtor - Rodeo Realty
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

what about steve perkins at creation?

the studio he built in the LA area was slamming - did he ever sell it?

it may be only commercial though - not sure if you could live in the space,
and i'm not sure the driving distance, etc....

steve's a super nice guy - and crazy resourceful!...check out those studio construction pix!!

here are his links:

Creation Recording Studios

https://gearspace.com/board/photo-di...dio-start.html

Studio Construction

steve has built 3 studios like this already - so he's DEFINITLEY a great resource, if he's around.

best of luck, man.

Old 25th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi, James. I'm sorry to hear about your building. I know a few guys who work in there as well; seems like a creative ecosystem, and I hope everyone will land in a similarly positive setting.

I have three names for you. All of them seem to specialize in commercial realty more than residential, but studios are their main thing, so you should be in good hands.
The first is Matt Marrin, mentioned above. Matt knows his stuff; he seemed much more interested in finding the right fit for our needs than pushing a sale.
The second is Michael Helm. Mike is a drummer, and I found him to be principled and never pushy.
The third is Bruce Stratton. Bruce has been in the studio game for decades around town, and I found him to be generous with his time and experience. Bruce has a website: Entertainment Real Estate Services, Inc. . I'll PM you with phone numbers and e-mail later today when I'm in front of that info.

Good luck with the search.
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Found these guys:
Contact us

???
James, been down the road with both of those guys. That Rozz guy is a little sketchy. Bruce is cool. Never found anything over 3 years. I bought my pad and spent 10 months building a room. Seiously this is the way to go in this housing climate. If you know you have a good 6 months in the office go for it yourself after picking up a property. Granted much more hard work than just buying a place, but a bit rewarding and you can make it the way you want. I love my space.
πŸ“ Reply