Quantcast
Looking for realtor in LA area specializing in homes with studios. - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for realtor in LA area specializing in homes with studios.
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Hi James.

I'm a residential agent with First Team Estates (also called First Team Real Estate).
Will try to see if I can help provide further "back-up" information through our commercial division. Guessing that already you've been given excellent suggestions, but you never know.

Also curious personally someday down the line, although my needs will be much more humble-mainly just a cool vocal booth.

Remember that there are 2 "bottoms" to a real estate market, unless you're
"all cash", the current value of a home, and the size of the mortgage payment due
to changing interest rates/terms.

Wishing you the best of luck in your studio transition.

Chris
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
James,

You still gotta come up and see my place. A house built into the hills with the street level floor being the studio, and the downstairs the living space. It's always a work in progress of course, but the Hollywood location is ideal.

The Mothership was/is right down the hill from me. Not sure if it ever sold. Also, JJ Blair is around the corner, and I'm pretty sure he has two neighbors that also have studios in their houses. You should check out JJ's place for an idea of how to really do it right, I think Clearmountain's guy built it.

Of course we're all non-commercial entities, and have no need for extra parking, handicap access, etc.

And . . . thank you for the kind words.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Player1

I have a 1000 sq.ft building for my studio and it's a separate building. My accountant was pretty specific about writing down my business at home in regards to having a detached building from the living area. There can some pretty good tax advantages this way. Just a thought as you pursue a solution James.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightbyrd ➑️
This guy posts on craiglist alot. I don't know anything about him personally though.

Norm Kerner
I know him pretty well. We bought a 6,500 sq ft commercial building through his assistant, Vahan Saroians, where we are building a scoring stage. He's a great guy, and used to run a giant studio in San Francisco back in the day.

Vahan Saroians

Greg

Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
SK1
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great thread.

The important question is what's your budget?

I can tell you from researching houses with studios or studio potential that a lot of the studios in my budget (550k-700k) are not built very well. I get the feeling that I'd be better off in the long run building it out myself.

Take the second studio picture on the "Houses that rock" website. I viewed that property (on van owen I think) ..... what a joke. The pool was a pre-formed fiberglass thing that looked more like a bathtub than a pool ..... just dig a hole and put it in ...... not to mention that it's also where the kids street race.

Also, the days of 50k garage conversions are pretty much over. Especially, if you want to do the hvac correctly $$$$ Labor and building costs have gone way up.

Personally, I like the garage conversions where they manage to keep most of the ceiling height. See Tonys garage conversion and also John at Bright Orange in the valley has a nice cozy spot with great drum sounds.

Also, consider if your going to be able to keep all those Hollwood clients if you move to the valley. Clients with day jobs get killed by the traffic.
SK1
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player1 ➑️
I have a 1000 sq.ft building for my studio and it's a separate building. My accountant was pretty specific about writing down my business at home in regards to having a detached building from the living area. There can some pretty good tax advantages this way. Just a thought as you pursue a solution James.
Good advice.

I believe the size limit on "guest houses" and "hobby rooms" is about 700 sq ft here in the valley.

I'm also finding that 90% of the guest houses here are not permited
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK1 ➑️
I can tell you from researching houses with studios or studio potential that a lot of the studios in my budget (550k-700k) are not built very well. I get the feeling that I'd be better off in the long run building it out myself.
Well, this place in Burbank seems way too good to be true> Banana Boat

Recording Studio in Burbank for Sale or Lease!
Sale Price reduced from $950,000 to $600,000!

A beautifully designed recording studio located in Burbank features a large control room, a good size sound room and a den with an adjacent kitchen.

Building Sq.Ft.: approximately 1930

Deleted bd1be4f
I agree with the others here who suggest buying a house and building your own studio inside, rather than trying specifically to find a place with a studio already built out, for a few reasons.

First, it vastly widens your potential number of properties from which to choose. And given what the RE market is currently like, you can find plenty of distressed or REO properties that you can make a lowball offer on and have a good chance of getting it accepted.

Secondly, with the money you save buying right, you can spend it on building out a studio that is laid out and works exactly the way you want it to be, rather than walking into a situation that might not be designed optimally the way you want it.

One other thing you might want to check into if you don't mind doing some rehab or renovation work is find some of the property wholesalers in your area. These are RE investors who get distressed properties under contract and then flip them to retail investors or buyers who are willing to do the cleanup or renovations, but get an insane deal on the price of the property. You can find these guys at local REIA (Real Estate Investor Association) meetings.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
SK1
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman ➑️
Well, this place in Burbank seems way too good to be true> Banana Boat

Recording Studio in Burbank for Sale or Lease!
Sale Price reduced from $950,000 to $600,000!

A beautifully designed recording studio located in Burbank features a large control room, a good size sound room and a den with an adjacent kitchen.

Building Sq.Ft.: approximately 1930

Nice Fleaman.

But where would I put the wife and SK2 ??? heh Right now, I need a house with a mere 550-700 sq ft of studio space.

As far as the value of the studio you listed, I'd have to check it out personally to have an opinion. Does it have floating floors? Silent HVAC? .... and the list goes on.

Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK1 ➑️
Nice Fleaman.

But where would I put the wife and SK2 ??? heh Right now, I need a house with a mere 550-700 sq ft of studio space.

As far as the value of the studio you listed, I'd have to check it out personally to have an opinion. Does it have floating floors? Silent HVAC? .... and the list goes on.

I dunno, but 2000 sq ft, high ceilings, and just look at those pics, it looks pretty nice,,,...in metro LA, for $600k? Something just doesn't seem right.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The ceiling looks like it is only 7' in the live room, if that door is any indication.

GC
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis ➑️
The ceiling looks like it is only 7' in the live room, if that door is any indication.

GC

yes, indeed - those photos are all taken down closer to the floor...

gotta love it...

Gear Guru

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
if you want a residential house, with a full pro studio I'd say you are going to be well over million to do it - and possibly much more depending on location.

I got a little lucky. I bought my house in 2001 in Silverlake on the Echo Park border. I'm less than a mile from both Spaceland and The Echo. Both are easily walkable, even in LA ;-)

My house is a two story 1,900 sq ft craftsman with a detached two car garage I did a studio conversion on. It's a single open room, 4x4 amp closet. It's cozy and not designed for live drums or lots of people - however - it has been host to some established artists and their pet side projects. In other words, it a vibey boutique space, not a commercial space.

I don't know that you can do better than that these days. Maybe highland park, south pass - but the real question is how far out of town do you want to go. Altadena may have the space and prices you are looking for - but then you are farther out, and have other problems in that area (crime).

What I don't understand is, you already have a studio - why not buy house close by and commute? Its far more cost effective than attempting to have a house and studio on the same lot as a commercial venture...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Vai's place has been on the market for a couple years now. I think he's wanting like $2,000,000 for it. But who knows...

It's just around the corner from the studio.
Just head east on Franklin up to Canyon Dr.
Think it's like the second little street on the left.
Maybe only a mile or so from the studio.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
We're gonna start contacting realtors this week, so any more ideas would be awesome.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Can you build a studio in most houses in LA? I've been looking around for places around here and very few areas will allow home businesses, especially ones where you have outside clients visiting.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I bought a house three years ago and built out a 3 room studio as a seperate building in the rear of the property. Probably the best move i ever made. There's nothing like having the room fit your gear perfectly.

Everything from my console to my Rhodes was taken into account, and the ergonomics are just so natural that way. Definitely worth looking into.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I get e-mails from a few that specialize in studio/house combos from when we were looking at houses. I can't vouch for any of them personally (ended up not needing them) but worth contacting to see how it works for ya:

Site Disabled

also-

Nicole Mihalka and
Matt Marrin both of daumcommercial.com (they have sent MANY listings of house/studio combos)

also-

David Spangler "The Rock and Roll Realtor"

I have contact info if you don't find them via google. PM me if needed.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce ➑️
I get e-mails from a few that specialize in studio/house combos from when we were looking at houses. I can't vouch for any of them personally (ended up not needing them) but worth contacting to see how it works for ya:

Site Disabled

also-

Nicole Mihalka and
Matt Marrin both of daumcommercial.com (they have sent MANY listings of house/studio combos)

also-

David Spangler "The Rock and Roll Realtor"

I have contact info if you don't find them via google. PM me if needed.

Thanks my buddy told me about Nicole but wasn't able to find her on the web

this him
Realtors in Sherman Oaks

DAUM Commercial Real Estate Services
πŸ“ Reply