Quantcast
Elastic Time vs. Vocalign - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Elastic Time vs. Vocalign
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Elastic Time vs. Vocalign

Maybe this is a dumb question but I'm still trying to wrap my head around the best way to use Elastic Time in my particular workflow. I used an audiosuite version of Vocalign for years now but I've never been too happy with the interface. I've found it to be pretty tedious and not too joyous but the results are worth it IMO.

Can Elastic Time do what VocAlign does better?
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtone ➡️
Maybe this is a dumb question but I'm still trying to wrap my head around the best way to use Elastic Time in my particular workflow. I used an audiosuite version of Vocalign for years now but I've never been too happy with the interface. I've found it to be pretty tedious and not too joyous but the results are worth it IMO.

Can Elastic Time do what VocAlign does better?
Screw vocAlign.

I prefer doing all of that vocal editing by hand. (tab,cut, move, trim,crossfade, repeat).

Elastic audio may help in a constructive way if the performance is VERY close to locked in.... extreme movements can make some pretty funky sounds.

I only use elastic audio for the effects or if the performance is very close.

Have you tried doing it by hand?
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I REALLY like Elastic Audio for aligning vocals.

I've never been a huge fan of VocAlign but I'll admit I used it.

On the last project I did I went back to manual cut/move/sometime stretch/crossfade but then over Christmas had some free time and really dug into EA. I even checked out Kenny's EA tutorials over at Groovebox and I swear now it's Elastic Audio ALL THE WAY.

I did screw myself over a couple of times by using XForm which made it sound absolutely horrible some reason - I'm sure there's a serious amount of user error - but using Monophonic and then consolidating the tracks so I could give them to my mix engineer (I just saw you can also use Commit) worked amazing.

IMO much better and much more natural than Vocalign.

Watch a couple tutorials if you can as it's quick way to learn some great little shortcuts. I particularly like Shift+Click that creates warp markers not only on transient but also just before and after the transient so you move the note around without affecting anything on either side.

Good luck!

R.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Vocalign (bother versions - Project for PT and Pro V4) vs EA is a session by session basis for me. I seem to use Vocalign for different stuff other then backs - more of a creative tool then a time-aligner (which I know it was meant to be).

Vocalign not officially working in PT8 (and SynchroArts not being quick to update) also has me using EA more.

EA can be very flexible (especially on bass and the human voice). Acoustic guitars can be a pain (with the rendering) but I've gotten some wicked stuff done that I know would have glitched hard just using TCX / Vocalign.

I can't select a region and align it with EA as fast as I can select-dub-align-process with Vocalign, but sometimes I think the results are better w/ EA.

EA is more flexible - like with drum quantization (prefer it over BD) and although Vocalign can have some great uses of auto-cloning transients that I wish I could do with EA. (EA AudioSuite, perhaps?)

I also feel it important to point out - neither of them are as good as Melodyne.

For just extending a note to match another note EA is pretty good at just grabbing the end of the note (and not effecting the rest of your region). I recently had a producer who didn't want everything aligned but wanted super consistent backs that would, you know, sound good. And she wasn't delivering consistently. The ends were all off. EA let me leave the beginning of the performance alone, and just stretch the end. I tried it with Vocalign, but had to start crossfading at spots, and some were glitching. I've made Italian fit into English with Vocalign Pro, but these easy lines were just glitching noticeably. Just yanking the end of the last note in EA to match allowed no glitching. No artifacts.

So I guess I'm a fan of EA now. I've been trying to do more with Melodyne Studio - I feel like I'd have more control - but there's still not an easy way to print all my effects to regions - besides doubling my voice count and printing outputs to inputs (ugh) then flying into Melodyne

At least that's the crack I'm smoking.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For some strange reason Vocalign never seemed to work as well as it did prior to PT 7.4.
No idea why. It used to be such a cool plug-in.
📝 Reply