Quantcast
I Need a new External Hard Drive for Pro Tools w/Mac - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I Need a new External Hard Drive for Pro Tools w/Mac
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I Need a new External Hard Drive for Pro Tools w/Mac

My old external hard drive just got eaten up. I couldnt record to it while trackiing since it was barely fast enough

What type of specs should i be looking for in a new drive, in order to record straight onto it while tracking?

I have you have any recommendations please keep in mind two other points: I need it to have both firewire 400 and 800 connections and would like it to have at least 500 gigs of space
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Western Digital haven't given me a problem yet. (knock on wood) has to be at least 7200. I would stay away from Lacie (wicked loud and temperamental)
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
oxford 911 chipset
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Glyph
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I installed a western digital in my new mac pro for backup and still have 2 slots open, can't beat it ITB or external....

Time machine keeps its busy..........
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
For what its worth, I slapped a WD 320 gig in a Cool Max external case. It has both FW (mine has 400 only I believe) and USB. Though I just mainly use mine for storage, I have recorded and mixed on it from time to time,with no problems (so far anyway, in a little over a year).
If you do go decide to go this route , Id make sure that whatever case you get has plenty on ventilation.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I second the call for Glyph. They use only Oxford chipsets in all of their products, and their GT 050Q series has a quiet fan to keep the drive cool during intense audio work. Not to mention the sweet warranty. A bit of a price premium on them, but well spent especially if you ever have an issue.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Glyph all the way.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering ➑️
Western Digital haven't given me a problem yet. (knock on wood) has to be at least 7200. I would stay away from Lacie (wicked loud and temperamental)
I haven't had any problems with our Lacie, but I'm not recording to them, I just use them for back up.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
OWC with seagate inside. G drives are also nice and offer a 3 year warranty. cant beat it. DO NOT BUY A LACIE if you plan on moving the drive around. The ports do not old up if being moved from computer to computer. So far I have seen 19 lacies fail!!!!!! Thats a lot. Definitely prosumer.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Glyph
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Many a debate on who is better in other forum posts but I would recommend Glyph if you have the money to shell out, if not OWC makes great stuff with Oxford 911 chipsets and quad interface options.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I've heard lots of good things about Avastor drives, like that they're up there with Glyph stuff. I can't say from experience though, sadly. Can anyone comment on Avastor?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd also second the OWC drive/enclosures. I've had a string of them over the past 5 years and not one casualty.

Seagate make consistent drives, and Elephant has them housed in solid enclosures, with very good warranties - I just got a terrabyte drive (Seagate/Elephant encl.) for $250 (Cdn) - really great deal, and one of the best warranties out there (5 yr and 10 yr on drive and encl.)

Hope this helps,
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup G-Drive. These are built like a tank and have great support/warranty. The price is a bit more than some others, but being reliable is worth the cost. (I have a Mini and love it. My next drive purchase will be their TB)

Make sure you get at least 7200 and you are golden.

G-DRIVE High Performance and Stylish FireWire and USB Storage Solutions
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
LOOK AT THE AMOUNT OF CACHE IN A HARD DRIVE.
audio work likes fat caches. eg..32 mb.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I've heard a few pretty good results with the Western Digital MyBook Pro External.

Just be VERY careful to never connect or disconnect and FireWire device while your
Mac is on. Doing so can blow your Fire wire port.

I'm still apprehensive about going for too big of a drive.

Just so much to lose if there's a mechanical failure.

I'd rather have several 250GBs than 1 500GB or 750GB.

For critical files, I'd also back them up with an off site storage server.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
My Glyph drive is one of my best purchases. I had an issue during a session in which the firewire bus went out on the mac (so I was told) and my drive would not mount anymore. I attempted it at home on my PC and the drive came up in macdrive. I pulled my data off of it and reformatted it with diskwarrior. During my next session my drive stopped responding a few minutes in and there was no backup of what was done.

I called Glyph and they gave me a shipping number at Fedex. I boxed up my drive, walked in and Glyph took care of the rest. They paid for shipping the drive to their facility, and recovered my info. They were able to reformat my drive, and even serviced it (replacing a wire that sometimes gives some drives troubles) and mailed it back to me. I was back in action in a week.

This was all a year after purchase.
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics ➑️
My old external hard drive just got eaten up. I couldnt record to it while trackiing since it was barely fast enough

What type of specs should i be looking for in a new drive, in order to record straight onto it while tracking?

I have you have any recommendations please keep in mind two other points: I need it to have both firewire 400 and 800 connections and would like it to have at least 500 gigs of space
Get a FW800, you'd be hard pushed to run out of bandwidth.

Glyph stuff is pretty much the best, but quite expensive. A 500GB Glyph would set you back a wedge.

I get drives from all over the place and haven't had a failure in a couple of years (with maybe 70+ drives). Lacies (despite the old bad rep) are good. Avastor are just Western Digital drives in a case, and they are good too.

If you value your stuff make a copy to another drive. Goes without saying right?

Just don't buy a USB drive and buy a respected external brand with a decent case and you have as much chance as anyone.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OWC!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Glyph
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…