Quantcast
Bass accompany - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass accompany
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bass accompany

Relating to C major on a piano. Im trying to figure out where to go in the bass notes. If im playing a D chord and I play D3 with my left hand, but then go to a F chord does it make more sense to go up 2.5 steps to F3 or to go down 4.5 steps down to F2?(disregard doubling the bass for now)

Now if I decide to go to F3 but I want to next go to a Achord I would assume to got o A3. But now I want to go to a C chord.So do I continue up to C4 being its the closest or down 5.5 steps to C3?

Is the idea to go to the note that is the closest when its possiable?

AND FINALLY AT WHAT POINT ON THE PIANO IS IT NO LONGER CONSIDERED A BASS? I know it would still be the root if I played the bass at C4 ,but in modern music that you would play the bass with the left hand for that bottom, at what point is it just consider added color vs. the bass?
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If your ears can't tell you the answer, then maybe you should look at another hobby/business ...

I find bass composition to be a constant challenge ... the players I adore surprise me by doing things I wouldn't expect.

Don't always stay on the root note. If you are playing over a D major chord, you are safe playing a D in any octave - but you might want to consider an F# (3rd) or A (5th). Or maybe even some odd passing note in whatever scale takes your fancy ...

I like bass lines that are reasonably melodic in themselves. Sometimes it's interesting to do contrapuntal lines - descending bass if the melody is ascending, or vice versa.

It's art ... you can't really apply a formula to art - there are rules, but the rules are made to be broken.
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger ➡️
Or maybe even some odd passing note in whatever scale takes your fancy
That's what I was thinking. You can go up or you can go down to get to the next chord, and often you'll decide based on which in-between notes give a nicer "melody" to the bass line.

--Ethan
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy ➡️
AND FINALLY AT WHAT POINT ON THE PIANO IS IT NO LONGER CONSIDERED A BASS?
Frankly, whether or not it is a bass part has more to do with the role the instrument plays in covering the lower registers and underpinning the music to tie the harmonic structure to the rhythm (and maybe provide some crunching fundamentals when/where/if needed) than it does to the actual notes or range of notes being played.

The Bass Police won't arrest you. So don't worry too much about breaking somebody else's "rules" if it works and sounds right to you. heh
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…