Yes you can mix with plug ins - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yes you can mix with plug ins
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante ➑️
Yeah, you can do OK work just with plugins if you work hard enough at it.

Yeah, O.K. is the "key" word, I guess!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante ➑️
Yeah, you can do OK work just with plugins if you work hard enough at it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon ➑️
Yeah, O.K. is the "key" word, I guess!
I am a much bigger fan of good hardware, but there are some great albums made just with plugs in (many great albums do not actually sound great), but the it comes down to the ultimate questions which was the original one asked:

"Do you think you could do the same quality mix that you do now if you had to do it all completely "in the box"?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I think you can do great mixes ITB. But the question for me is how much is ITB? If I know I am going to have to mix something ITB I do as much as I can while tracking using outboard gear. I think that my mixes sound far better this way then say just tracking from your pre straight into PT or whatever (no compression or eq) and then trying to mix totally ITB. I chalk up a lot of sounds I like to lots of transformers maybe? Who knows. Just my 2 cents.

-Jay Henderson
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow this thread is AMAZING. I have never seen a thread like this on GS before.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES ➑️
You dont get my point.
I just had fun reading this and wanted to make sure taht some sluts can laugh too......nothing else no discussion no ITB vs OTB just reading and laughing about it.
I get your point, and you're right. sheesh, some people huh?

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm ➑️
"Do you think you could do the same quality mix that you do now if you had to do it all completely "in the box"?
I can
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst ➑️
Wow this thread is AMAZING. I have never seen a thread like this on GS before.
hehhehheh
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
why i'm having pictures of celia hodes sneezing coke blood over izabelle whenever theese kinda threads emerge... yes u can, yes u can't... come on... bored lets this puppy die...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Pissing aside, the MHB quotes in the top post is awesome. I've heard it before, so not new, just very funny put

MHB: You're doing the upcoming live Cohen album? Would be really cool if you wanted to talk about mixing it sometime later.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
People forget that someone like MHB has been doing this a long time. Well before plug-ins, before DAWs and before electricity heh

He started using hardware, that worked very well, so why change it?

In a few years time there will be as revered mix engineers using plug-ins exclusively.
Put them in a room with a desk, a few racks and a patchbay and they will say "Yeah, this stuff is cool, but I have to work much harder to make it happen"

It ain't the tools.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRB ➑️
..... In a few years time there will be as revered mix engineers using plug-ins exclusively.
Put them in a room with a desk, a few racks and a patchbay and they will say "Yeah, this stuff is cool, but I have to work much harder to make it happen"

It ain't the tools.
I disagree.

show me the plug-in that can do 15 db of compression on a lead vocal... and sounds as good as a Distressor doing just that....

then maybe i'll change my mind.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy ➑️
I disagree.

show me the plug-in that can do 15 db of compression on a lead vocal... and sounds as good as a Distressor doing just that....

Quantify good in a way that is meaningful to everyone mixing that vocal. Some of us have sold our distressors...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I disagree.

You won't find one. (-15dB really?) Although it's often the case that the metering on these plug-in hardware copies is also "emulated" so it will look like 15dB of reduction but be closer to 25dB (and subsequently sound pretty fkn overdone).
Like all analogue gear with VUs.
I'm not getting into the plug-ins vs hardware argument. It never goes anywhere.

If you can't make a mix sound great using plug-ins then it's unlikely you can make a mix sound great using hardware and vice versa.
Blame the tools etc..

Everyone has a preference. Only a fool would pick a side.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipass ➑️
I can
Cool. Do you have some examples of your best work in both scenarios. It would be an interesting comparison.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I disagree.

Hey Mixerguy. Have you tried the PSP Mixpressor 2? It's one of the few software comps that don't seem to crap out when comping heavily. Will it sound like a Distressor? I doubt it because they are 2 different comps. But try it out and let me know what you think.thumbsup
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Don't be blinded by boxes I present during a Mutt Lange mix and it was all plug-ins. That dude had a crazy amount of gear - I mean he had everything you could think of for outboard.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hardware for record side, plugins for mix end.

Convenience has a sound and it is good.

Unlimited recalls has a sound and it is very good.

Anyway, "sound" is only half of the sound.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I am a much bigger fan of good hardware, but there are some great albums made just with plugs in (many great albums do not actually sound great), but the it comes down to the ultimate questions which was the original one asked:

The answer for me is "no," although I mix completely ITB for certain clients multiple times a week. I still can do a better mix with hardware.

If the question was "Do you think you could do a quality (as opposed to the same quality) mix completely in the box I would have to say "yes."

If I couldn't I'd be out of a lot of work.
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES ➑️
How many people asked here at Gearslutz if it is possible to mix with Plug Ins. I was yesterday at the website of Mr. Michael Brauer so funny his QA:
If I want my projects to sound less than par I would use all pulgs, I want a better golf game....... I do use very little eq and bits of verb delay and that is rare, effects and compression in pulgs has not stepped up to the hardware sound and I don't think it will. Long live hardware....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone ➑️
If I want my projects to sound less than par I would use all pulgs, I want to better golf.......
Its funny you mention golf, I was thinking about that analogy today. Could Tiger Woods play a great game of golf with a cheap set of golf clubs from walmart? Yes, he could still probably beat 99% of the golfers in the world, but could he make his personal best course scores with them?

I am waaaaay far from being the Tiger Woods of mixing. I need all the help I can get.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Its funny you mention golf, I was thinking about that analogy today. Could Tiger Woods play a great game of golf with a cheap set of golf clubs from walmart? Yes, he could still probably beat 99% of the golfers in the world, but could he make his personal best course scores with them?

I am waaaaay far from being the Tiger Woods of mixing. I need all the help I can get.
That's great! heh
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJdeVillar ➑️
...... Convenience has a sound and it is good.

Unlimited recalls has a sound and it is very good.

Anyway, "sound" is only half of the sound.
I can recall my hardware outboard no problem. Very precisely.

sounds great

worth a few minutes of my time

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I disagree.

Tubetech CL1B for the powercore
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
rcm, sorry for my bad grammar, I did not read after typing so I went back and corrected it, I think we all got the point across we were making.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroom ➑️
Tubetech CL1B for the powercore
sorry - no access (or interest in buying) Powercore.... can't check it out

also - show me a plugin EQ that does what the Hammer does at 10k boost on the mix buss.....

and the list goes on.....
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sorry - no access to the Hammer...can't check it out.

Show me a hardware EQ that does what the digi eq3 does at 10k boost on the mix buss.....

You can't do that any more easily than I could do what you asked.

Who cares. tutt
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by private_stock ➑️
Sorry - no access to the Hammer...can't check it out.

Show me a hardware EQ that does what the digi eq3 does at 10k boost on the mix buss.....
For 10k boost on the 2bus, the Hammer blows away the EQ3, but for notching your funky midrange EQ3 beats the Hammer. Been thinking of getting one of those power cores, but do they work with Pro Tools?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I disagree.

While the distressor is one on my favourite comps , you might want to give the Rocket comp by stillwell a try, it holds up great at -15db of gain reduction .......
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
C'mon guys we are all using both....and it's great...
πŸ“ Reply