Yes you can mix with plug ins - Page 10 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yes you can mix with plug ins
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 ➡️
"rock and guitar based pop" is how much of the overall music that is being recorded in the world ????
I am not sure, perhaps you have those stats, but it does make up the overwhelming majority of my personal work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 ➡️
ok for instance i had to deliver twenty 3 minute tracks for sky tv last week i had one week to do it,there is no way i'm gonna put these together OTB and have them ready for a deadline ...and have there ppl make me do a s**t load of tiny tweeks and amendments thank god for totall recall !!
You absolutely made the right choice on this one. You had a situation where sonic quality was not the driving factor. If I was doing music for fast turn around TV shows, I would absolutely work all ITB.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanturb ➡️
You didn't get the memo? Rock and guitar based pop is the evolutionary peak of music. Anything else is savage!!
Probably supposed to be a sarcastic jab at me and that's OK, but as stated before rock and guitar based pop is the overwhelming majority of the work I do. As a fan I listen to tons of stuff. On my down time I probably listen to drum 'n bass as much as anything.

And just to put this all into perspective the original post was about the work of Michael Brauer, a guy that works primarily in rock and guitar based pop.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You didn't get the memo? Rock and guitar based pop is the evolutionary peak of music. Anything else is savage!!
wow what a small world you live in

🎧 15 years
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I still think we need a separate bin er... (forum) for all ITB v OTB threads.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw ➡️
I still think we need a separate bin er... (forum) for all ITB v OTB threads.
We already have one... It's called the Moan Zone. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm getting the hang of plugging with mixins.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Sorry I was completely speaking out of place. But broad stroke statements are running rampant in this thread. Figured one more wouldn't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm ➡️
Probably supposed to be a sarcastic jab at me and that's OK, but as stated before rock and guitar based pop is the overwhelming majority of the work I do.
This qualitative statement of subjectivity is really the end of the discussion though right. It works for you. No need to change. But also no need to dfegad on those who've found a different way to work. There's no amount of arguing that's going to provide a definitive answer to the question alluded to in this thread, as ultimately music is subjective.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Music isn't entirely subjective...in the thread about the Beatles panning, there's a little side discussion about whether The Beatles can be thought of as lame or not...maybe an individual here or there might not like them...but it simply can't be denied the overwhelming success of The Beatles music and recordings. They (and many others) blew the doors open on recording and the studio, and we're all still following along essentially the same path, the same techniques, even in the digital world...

What's funny, is how much the digital world is trying to cop (or emulate) the analog world. Plugin-wise...soooo much hype, especially over plug-ins that try to emulate ancient Luddite hardware. Vstis or modelers that try to emulate ancient Luddite hardware.

But...it seems to me, these "pointless" discussions would end with a digital Sgt. Pepper's or 2. At this point, people still struggle to even name any music at all that is digital. We've had 6 albums mentioned so far. Why? There must be a reason, no?
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 ➡️
. We've had 6 albums mentioned so far. Why? There must be a reason, no?
2 corrections;

Talk Talk "Spirit of Eden" was not an all digital affair.

And Bjork's Vespertine was mixed by Spike Stent on an SSL with analog outboard gear. It was tracked to ProTools but that could be said about almost any album for the last 10 years.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES ➡️
So as TDM is 1.2 K in dollars.
I would like to see how you do compression with the console without the bundle.

Come on Guys I have the Waves SSL Bundle and the EQs are superior compared to any console in the range 1-2 k so every coin has two sides.
I admit I am lucky to have a dozen channels of outboard compression. I also have a half dozen channels of outboard EQ. The console has pretty broad EQ, but really nice hi and low pass filters on the mono channels.

I recapped the power caps on the channels and next I was going to ask some tech friends to experiement with the EQ circuit (hi band is a little 'grainy'). If I like a sound of a modded channel I can copy it to the other channels.

Hitting the engage on the EQ on the console seems to change the overall sound less than turning on the Waves plugs.

Mr. Holmes, maybe I have not checked out the right plugs. Anything besides the Waves stuff I should check out?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

What's funny, is how much the digital world is trying to cop (or emulate) the analog world. Plugin-wise...soooo much hype, especially over plug-ins that try to emulate ancient Luddite hardware. Vstis or modelers that try to emulate ancient Luddite hardware.
Even more funny are all the people who go ga-ga over all of that every time a new 'emulation' gets released, seemingly the same people who bash the sounds of the past- what gives?

Were these 'all digital' albums run through some choice pieces of analog gear during the mastering process? Hmmm... the plot thickens.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Interesting you mention mastering....

Is there a good mastering house that does it all ITB? I don't think I have once sent a mix to an ITB mastering guy.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5down1up ➡️
Nice story @ Paul

did you edit your post @ camus ( i received something different in my mail )

yep, i remember the MOTHER of all vs debates. 2005 ! times flying away
Yea - I did edit it for better grammar. I bung stuff down, then re-read it and often decide it could be said more clearly. Some posts I have edited several times - sorry :-(

This statement was made around 1986 - at the very heyday of analogue consoles - and we were successfully designing and making arguably the most popular and successful consoles of all time! The point here is that you can always find those who believe that everything was 'better in the past' and see their view of the world as correct and unassailable - there is something in human nature that promotes this and makes the concept comfortable.
And it may be ok for a user, comfortable with his existing work environment (providing he's still making cash with it) this is everyone's personal right. But it's not a good plan to take such an attitude in a company trying into break new ground for the benefit of users and future advances. However successful and comfortable you are, the world moves on whether you like it or not. Whatever happens - someone has to move forwards :-) After all - back then, had we all taken the same view, you guys would still be mixing on what came before - and the celebrated consoles would have never existed. The principle always stands - at any point in time you like to mention - and it simply will not gel at any time in history.

Not everything that's old is bad - any more than everything new is forcibly good. The point is to build on what you know to progress further - with an open mind. Polarised arguments of the kind this is descending into are the enemy of progress. There is never a time when everything is perfect and no more progress is worth making. Nothing I have ever designed was ever as good as I could have imagined it being. And although the stuff we make now is orders of magnitude better than anything I could have imagined back in 1986 - the same still applies - I can imagine better - always. If I couldn't - then that would be the time to give up, throw in the towel and find another profession... LOL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keire ➡️
Interesting you mention mastering....

Is there a good mastering house that does it all ITB? I don't think I have once sent a mix to an ITB mastering guy.
Are you sure - have you been there and watched them? You may have a surprise! There was certainly a move to 'extract' the workings of one of my plug-in designs (still on sale) and put it in an expensive out board unit, because the mastering engineers currently using it would find such thing 'more comfortable'. Read into that what you will.......
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I should have/be kept/keeping my mouth shut

I have a friend that thinks R&B is utter trash with absolutely no merit at all. And I'm not talking about new stuff I'm talking classic R&B. You couldn't get him to sit through a song let alone an album. I've known him for decades and he's maintained this position. Is he wrong, or is it a subjective opinion.

I for one do know the contributions that the Beatles have made to the recording process and forever will owe a great deal of my ability to even think about music the way I do to them. That said, I can only sit through about one album of there's at a time, and none of them are my favorites. A couple of songs maybe, but albums not really.

So you say you want a digital Sgt. Peppers I don't even know what that means sonically. I mean I know the album, I know the impact it has had and I know a lot about what into recording it. But its not my favorite Beatles album, or even one I play often. There are a lot of albums that come to mind that I like but don't listen to that often. Or are we voting on quality based on public opinion and worldwide sales. Or are we getting a bunch of engineers in a room and having them vote. All of that is still subjective. And if you were to do that for my friend, no matter what the results he'd still tell you R&B has no merit. Is he wrong? Or is that a subjective opinion. And does the pooling together of a bunch of subjective opinions make it less subjective.

Take hardcore hip-hop fans. There are some who would champion Wu-Tang Forever the way others champion Sgt Peppers. That's an album done completely in the digital domain. If you don't like that type of thing it'd be kind of hard to get away from your subjective opinion don't and evaluate it's digital vs. previous analog hip-hop albums wouldn't it.

Or take Stevie Wonder's last album. I'm pretty sure that's an all digital release. Is it Song's in the Key of Life. Well no. But its pretty good. And IMHO the best part about it is that it doesn't try to capture an older analog sound but instead fully embraces the digital realm and says what can we do in here. My friend would still say its meritless though.

There are a lot of electronic artists that work strictly ITB, which is radically different from say Aphex Twin and Autechre of old who used a lot of Analog stuff. Does the new stuff measure up to the old? Depends on who you ask. Ask Richard D. James and he'll tell you not even close. Ask Kode 9 he might say folk are going above and beyond.

I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong here, I'm saying its all subjective. If you read my earlier post in this thread I used to be a hard analog guy. But over the years I've come to realize they're all just tools, and as tools they all have their strengths. And also as tools some will be more useful in some hands than others. The merit of each is to be evaluated by the user and the listener. Anyone elses opinion doesn't really matter.

Quote:
Music isn't entirely subjective...in the thread about the Beatles panning, there's a little side discussion about whether The Beatles can be thought of as lame or not...maybe an individual here or there might not like them...but it simply can't be denied the overwhelming success of The Beatles music and recordings. They (and many others) blew the doors open on recording and the studio, and we're all still following along essentially the same path, the same techniques, even in the digital world...

But...it seems to me, these "pointless" discussions would end with a digital Sgt. Pepper's or 2. At this point, people still struggle to even name any music at all that is digital. We've had 6 albums mentioned so far. Why? There must be a reason, no?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I do not feel that there has been a single significant advance in the sonic quality of recording technology in a few decades. There are have great advances in convince though, and there is currently manufactured technology that is on par with the best tools made 30 years ago.

+ 1 the renasiance of great sonic quality was back in the 50's and 60's and even a bit before that ....there are some companies that are matching just as good but not on a massive level as back in the days. Analog or just Plain OTB is still better than ITB as computer and plugins...hybrid is a nice comprimise... though i belive you can get great sounds ITB wise now i wouldnt have said so 10 years ago, but for the basis of sonic quality alone OTB is still better
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

So you say you want a digital Sgt. Peppers I don't even know what that means sonically.
All it means is a representation of the "state of the art".

Quote:
Or are we voting on quality based on public opinion and worldwide sales. Or are we getting a bunch of engineers in a room and having them vote. All of that is still subjective. And if you were to do that for my friend, no matter what the results he'd still tell you R&B has no merit. Is he wrong? Or is that a subjective opinion. And does the pooling together of a bunch of subjective opinions make it less subjective.
All of the above. Sgt Pepper's was and is a huge landmark pop album...many many people still talk about it and analyze it, as well as most of The Beatle's work...not just the music but the recordings. I think it's safe to say it officially has merit.

Quote:
Take hardcore hip-hop fans. There are some who would champion Wu-Tang Forever the way others champion Sgt Peppers. That's an album done completely in the digital domain. If you don't like that type of thing it'd be kind of hard to get away from your subjective opinion don't and evaluate it's digital vs. previous analog hip-hop albums wouldn't it.
Landmark albums usually make themselves known rather easily, regardless of what any individual says...so Wu-Tang is the landmark then?

Quote:
I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong here, I'm saying its all subjective.
That's your subjective opinion.

Quote:
The merit of each is to be evaluated by the user and the listener. Anyone elses opinion doesn't really matter.
I think other people's opinions matter a lot. This whole board is based on other people's opinions day in and day out, it's bound to get in your brain! People are spending huge chunks of change on stuff including plugins that supposedly emulate hardware but may not really be any different that some plugin you can download for free (the digital EQ myth). Other people may sell there hardware so as to keep up and not be left behind like some sort of Luddite because opinion is changing. Studios close down, tape manufacturers stop making tape, albums sales drop...this whole business is very much about a collection of (seemingly subjective) opinions, isn't it?
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
There are some who would champion Wu-Tang Forever the way others champion Sgt Peppers. That's an album done completely in the digital domain.
Who the hell told you that?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Okay lets forget everything else. Here's some music. What do you think? Does it matter if it was mixed digitally or analog?
Attached Files

06 - The Rose Apple Tree.mp3 (4.46 MB, 55 views)

Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➡️
Who the hell told you that?
Same guy who thinks R&B has no merit. LOL!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
This qualitative statement of subjectivity is really the end of the discussion though right. It works for you. No need to change. But also no need to dfegad on those who've found a different way to work. .
Where did I ever do that?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would like to point out that you can be a plugin gearslut! All plug ins are not created equal. To put out a blanket term "plugin" is rediculous. Can I create a good mix with the stock plugins in Logic8? I personally can't. Can I with my Waves SSL, Ren, Altiverb, Epure, Massey, and Chandler plugs? Yes. Does it match hardware....probably not.

A lot also depends on the musical style. IMO... Plugins lend themselves better to certain styles of music better than others. You are not going to get a vintage sounding rock album to sit right without using a lot of analogue gear.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Where did I ever do that?
sorry rcm you keep bearing the brunt of my hail mary's in a thread i can't really follow too well.

*bowing out*
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well... it's kinda ironic you bring up the Beatles, seeing that they did their share in advancing the "art" of recording. Those guys weren't exactly obsessed with referencing the past, not at that point in their career anyway. But then, it was always the MUSIC that was actually pulling the recording technology forward with it, not vice versa. Geoff Emerick and George Martin may have come up with the odd neat trick or two, but it was always because the music demanded that it be recorded/arranged/produced differently.

Quote:
I totally agree. If people want to go for that kinda thing they really ought to stick with the real stuff. Personally I think this obsession with "analog emulation" has set digital audio standards back by years.

Quote:
Dude. Look around. The newspapers aren't exactly teeming with Lennons, McCartneys, Hendrixes, Dylans, Stockhausens, Ginsbergs, Gainsbourgs, Goddards, Bergmans etc are they? Can you name a recent "all-analog" record that has the hallmarks of a Sgt. Pepper Mark 2??? Records and art aren't written or produced by technology or the recording medium! The pointless discussions will end when a digital Sgt Peppers is made by a 21st century Beatles. I think you're in for kinduva long wait.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by camus ➡️
Dude. Look around. The newspapers aren't exactly teeming with Lennons, McCartneys, Hendrixes, Dylans, Stockhausens, Ginsbergs, Gainsbourgs, Goddards, Bergmans etc are they? Can you name a recent "all-analog" record that has the hallmarks of a Sgt. Pepper Mark 2???
I'm only using The Beatles as an example of a landmark...it could be Michael Jackson and Thriller or something...but maybe those sorts of people aren't even into making music because it's a harsh cold digital world and they're looking elsewhere for stuff that moves and inspires....

Quote:
Records and art aren't written or produced by technology or the recording medium! The pointless discussions will end when a digital Sgt Peppers is made by a 21st century Beatles. I think you're in for kinduva long wait.
I think art is very much connected to the medium...Sgt.Pepper's music and sound is and will forever be connected to the tools that they used......just like a painter's choice of paint and choice of canvas, or what if they ditch the paint entirely and go for sculpting...it's going to make quite a difference in what they say or express, isn't it? (What if they had a DX7 at the time instead of a mellotron on Strawberry Fields )

My original point in this was the odd reality of digital and it's curious effect on the music world, the parallel between it and that long wait you're talking about. It just seems odd that so many insist it's nothing but great or it doesn't matter, and yet...where's the pudding?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadersmakmeHappy ➡️
I would like to point out that you can be a plugin gearslut! All plug ins are not created equal. To put out a blanket term "plugin" is rediculous. Can I create a good mix with the stock plugins in Logic8? I personally can't. Can I with my Waves SSL, Ren, Altiverb, Epure, Massey, and Chandler plugs? Yes. Does it match hardware....probably not.

snip
Absolutely :-)

The problem with things 'digital' seems to be that historically (20 years ago) the industry sold people the idea that digital equated to 'math', which equated to 'perfect'. They allowed this selling point to propagate for commercial reasons. However as many people noticed, early digital kit was a pile of crap - and sounded distinctly 'off'. The first ever stuff I was involved in designing in the digital domain sounded frankly terrible and performed horribly in comparison to the analogue stuff we had on sale at the time.

Of course many of us have been beavering away ever since then, tackling the (sometimes almost religious) misconceptions of the digital fraternity and fixing up the issues - because we could see the potential in unleashing its fundamental power. And despite a good few outbursts of 'commercial madness' along the way, by and large achievable brute signal quality from larger scale mixing applications overtook analogue around the early 1990s. The Sony OXF-R3 console we made was the first console application I can honestly say as a whole system outstripped analogue in signal quality at all levels. That was just before the professional industry got squeezed out by so called 'prosumer' stuff and gave up on 'consoles', that were subsequently too expensive in comparison. It was written off in the late 1990s along with other 'professionally conceived' objects.

So now starved of enough funds from the industry to continue on that route, the next obstacle was to tackle consumer level gear that was being 're-purposed' in 'professional' environments. The error being that many people who had swallowed the 'digital = math = perfect' marketing mantra expected similar levels of quality from anything labelled 'digital', unfortunately that is how people think simplistically :-( Bias is not a new phenomenon.. It seemed you could get 'digital perfection' for a fraction of the price of what went before? Too good to be true? You bet!

So whilst it remains impossible to make you a professional level ADC and DAC for $10/channel (where professional means what it used to mean), that does not mean we can't re-apply what we learned in the digital domain - once the signal is there. And so the plug-ins we made took full use of every bit of expertise we had gained from the professional products - and moreover, since the humble home computer had greater precision than our 'professional processor' they actually outperformed what we had before. But even more crucially, the power of home computers and the S/W tools available opened up the possibility to make all sorts of things that would have confounded the OXF-R3 processor in the mid 1990's. All sorts of things I had dreamed of when I started engineering in the 1970's, but had never thought would ever be possible - are suddenly realisable.

Now of course we could take the attitude that the failure of the so called digital revolution back in the 1980's and the market bias this produces (apparently even now) makes all this a worthless proposition, certainly from a business perspective it might seem that way (my financially struggling wife definitely says so frequently!)? But luckily, even these days, not everything is done for solely commercial gain - there is still room for caring about our art :-) For a couple of hundred dollars we are selling the right to run unlimited amounts of something I would have paid thousands a channel for back in the 1970's. Hard up or not - it's just an opportunity that would be simply immoral to pass up. It's fascinating how things turn out :-)
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
fu**** germans
heh

Quote:
Because it doesnt happen for me. If i work that way, the mixdown sounds like a lush piece of cake. Would you mind removing that curtain in front of the speakers ?
Though you'll never convince me about the performance changing part of your statements, what do you think is needed to prevent that curtain thing from happening ?

ITB with plug ins / outboard on the 2 bus like Bob Katz and others suggest?
ITB / hardware via inserts ?
ITB with plug ins through a summing amp ?
ITB / no plugins / hardware / summing amp ?
ITB with plug ins / summing through a mixing desk ?
ITB / no plugins / mixing through desk with outboard ?
Tape / desk /outboard ?
or any other combination one can imagine ?

"ITB" here as a synonym for "digital tracks"as opposed to analog tracks on tape.

Lots of options and combinations.
From what I've read Slutz are not able to agree on any kind of standard here, either.
But from your obviously strong point of view, what is needed to avoid the
things you're talking about ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm only using The Beatles as an example of a landmark...it could be Michael Jackson and Thriller or something...but maybe those sorts of people aren't even into making music because it's a harsh cold digital world and they're looking elsewhere for stuff that moves and inspires....
C'mon. Serious now. You really think anyone with that kind of musical talent would give up the guitar or piano because of ITB mixing? Is analog dead? Last I heard there were still plenty of all-analog studios around. Still plenty of gorgeous vintage gear around. Like I said, where are all these all-analog prototype Pepper MK2s? 35mm is still alive and healthy. Why is it nobody has managed Apocalypse Now MK2 yet?

Quote:
I think art is very much connected to the medium...Sgt.Pepper's music and sound is and will forever be connected to the tools that they used......just like a painter's choice of paint and choice of canvas, or what if they ditch the paint entirely and go for sculpting...it's going to make quite a difference in what they say or express, isn't it? (What if they had a DX7 at the time instead of a mellotron on Strawberry Fields )
You're missing the point. The Beatles weren't afraid of technology. In fact they jumped on anything "new" BECAUSE it sounded different. If the DX7 was around they would've made some damn fine music on it. And remember, the mellotron was "new" once upon a time too. It had the musician's union jumping up and down in a rage thinking they were all going to be replaced by a keyboard with tapes...

Quote:
My original point in this was the odd reality of digital and it's curious effect on the music world, the parallel between it and that long wait you're talking about. It just seems odd that so many insist it's nothing but great or it doesn't matter, and yet...where's the pudding?
Like I said, we can all sit around and pray for the second coming of 1968 but it ain't gonna happen. I could set up a studio with nothing but equipment from Olympic Studios 1967 but that doesn't mean a modern Traffic, Stones and Scott Walker are suddenly going to magically turn up at my door is it? And if they were out there somewhere, the chances are you're gonna hear from them, whether they're recorded and mixed ITB or not. And it's probably going to sound ****ing terrific regardless.
Deleted 99dc753
Quote:
sorry guys, ... but then you never had the pleasure, to be around, when >someone< was mixing.
kai ich weiß du hast viele sachen gemacht bist ein geiler gitarrist und hast schönes equipment... aber die bmerkeung ist meiner ansicht nach einfach falsch..... als musiker solltest du doch wissen das man ne scheiß performance nicht schöner mischen kann...auch nicht mit massenburg krempel und den tollsten LA 2 As dieser WELT.

ich lebe übrigens im gleichen haus wie dein freund P.W.
📝 Reply