Quantcast
Pre vs. Post fader sends for Parralell compression - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pre vs. Post fader sends for Parralell compression
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Pre vs. Post fader sends for Parralell compression

I have been told that very many pop and hip hop vocals are parrallel compressed.I dont know if this is the case but I am trying to determine why to send the source signal to the parralel track via pre vs post fader.

I have had two engineers that both seems to know what they are talking about tell me 2 different things. I was told by one specifically to make sure I send the source POST fader to the aux track that has the compressor on it,for parralell compression.I was told by another to send it pre.

Im wondering what is the pros and cons of doing it either way? Also it seems most effects sends are done POST fader,so what would be some of examples of utilizing pre fader for a send and why?
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
If you send pre-fader then automation on the clean channel will not affect the compressed signal. This can be undesirable (or you would have to automate the compressed signal as well).

If you send post-fader then volume rides will be heard in the overall sound of that channel, but it will also affect the amount of compression on the parallel track.

That's just what happens, not how you should do it. I haven't figured that out, so I'm not going to tell you what to do

Herwig
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I don't see the point of putting much time into riding a fader going into a compressor, or automating the volume of the clean signal. The most efficient best way to accomplish what you are trying to accomplish would be to set up the send (pre or post fader, it doesn't matter), get the compressor doing what you want it to do, then buss both the processed and the unprocessed signals to another channel. That gives you the flexibility to automate the level of the resulting sound and change the amount of compressed signal you're feeding it independently. For convenience I would also set up a way to easily control the post fader automation volume, by either bussing it to yet another fader or using the output control of a plug in on the combined signal fader
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…