Recording sound - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording sound
Old 24th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Recording sound

Hi everyone,

I started doing recording for rock/pop music and fell in love with tubes and compression. I thought that any sound could be warmer, bigger, and I used eq on almost every source to take away what I didn't like, and add more of what I did.

This month, I've been in the Netherlands studying classical recording with Jared Sacks. He uses no eq, no compression! His sound relies solely on his microphone placement. He uses B&K and Schoeps mics exclusively, through a custom mixing board and the highest quality cabling, all converted to DSD at almost 3 million samples a second.

His recordings have totally opened my eyes to the beauty of natural sound. One recording in particular of two guitars, is incredible. It's an arrrangement of De Falla's "Amor de Brujo". It's incredibly powerful and clear, with no signal processing at all. I always thought processing could make things bigger and better, with more emotion. But who am I to try to change natural sound in an attempt to make it better? Maybe all sound is best as it's being performed, straight from the instrument, or voice.

When I return to the states, I will approach recordings in a much different way. Hopefully I will able to combign both approaches into an effective combination. I know this post isn't really a question, but maybe other people have thought on this subject as well.
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Garrett,
Certainly there's a lot to be said for capturing the right sound at the source (ie with the mic) rather than leaning on the usual "bag of tricks" such as comp and eq to deliver the end result. But most of us working in more contemporary genres are used to getting certain sounds that rely on the technology (comp especially).

Don't know if I want to go back to working that way, but a mixed approach is certainly no bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Openshaw ➡️
...converted to DSD at almost 3 million samples a second.

Frankly, three million doesn't sound likely. Unless you're counting sixteen channels recorded at 192k (which the is highest sample rate achievable with current technology). But even so, it's pretty misleading to describe the sample rate as higher than 192khz if that's the base rate.
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Openshaw ➡️
But who am I to try to change natural sound in an attempt to make it better?
I don't know who you are, but I believe people that do not take reality for granted are considered to be artists. Who are you that you cut a natural thing like a tree and make it into a violin in an attempt to make it(?) better?
According to me, art is not ethical in itself. Good is not the same as beautiful, except in religion.

Believe me, I like Jared's work. He's a fine engineer and knows what he is doing. Some music asks for natural recording, but it please do not consider natural recording as something to one has to strive for. Furthermore, when you consider the score as a arrangement of the musical thoughts of a composer and hence the reproduction of the score in sound as an re-arrangement, a recording of that sound is a new arrangement.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky ➡️
Frankly, three million doesn't sound likely. Unless you're counting sixteen channels recorded at 192k (which the is highest sample rate achievable with current technology). But even so, it's pretty misleading to describe the sample rate as higher than 192khz if that's the base rate.
It is a little more than 2.8 million/sec http://www.audio.com/whitepapers/dsd%20faq.pdf
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joram ➡️
It is a little more than 2.8 million/sec http://www.audio.com/whitepapers/dsd%20faq.pdf
OK, I see, we are talking about 1-bit. Missed the reference to DSD. Apologies.

Thanks for the link, Joram. thumbsup
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…