Quantcast
Clearmountain Interview in Sound On Sound - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Clearmountain Interview in Sound On Sound
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
  #91
Lives for gear
 
Ol' Betsey's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➡️
I think if you knew the lobbying boards I sit on for fair play for musicians, and the work I do in trying to control "music tech colleges ripping off the youth" you'd take that first bit back. I fight tooth and nail to protect musicians jobs......why turn this into an attack on me (heck you don't even know what I do !!). I'm not attacking BC - I've mentioned my disbelief that's all....

Like good old colin - you're inciting an argument. It's not about sincerity - I have integrity. I never "big up" stuff, I don't shoot my mouth off about how "great this is" unless I REALLY think it's great..... with the caveat that if what I say can be interpreted as personal bias - I don't get involved. EVER. When I'm pulling jobs together my regulars STILL have to put in a pitch. They do not get the job because they're mates or blood relatives..... Likewise I've turned down jobs if I don't believe in the job being done.

.... As for advertising - on all the adverts I appear in, I stand by what I say. I turn down EVERY freebie.... I've paid for the products I endorse. I've taken three freebies in my life - I hugely regretted being asked to say "how ace they are".... Since then - never.


I haven't commented upon BCs sincerity, with the possible exception about the MP..... that part just leaves me confused....

The thing is, how can you tell what is real and what is bias? Same as politics.... you must not put yourself in a position of questionable credibility. This is just like the old CEO of BP hiring his brother as the BP accountant..... jobs for the boys - we used to call it. And something I'm opposed to.

The bottom line is : if it can be taken as bias - don't get involved. Heck in legal circles if here is suspicion of bias parties are excluded from events - trials, litigation or contract negotiation. Personal involvement in projects needs to be self policed. I only indicated that I'm disappointed in BC for his pro Apogee stances. Not in his abilities, nor in Apogees excellence.
Narco you're the one, that hopefully jokingly, said no one would believe you because he was your brother.

I brought up sincerity to make a point.

If people trust you and your sincerity, or ANYONE else's for that matter, they won't question your motives.

You have, indirectly, brought up BC's sincerity (and integrity) by implying that he might have said what he said because of his marital status (and therefore, financial interdependability) to the head of Apogee.

And I'm in no way being like 'good ol' Collin' and inciting an argument.

I just think yours, and many others, way of thinking is sad, especially in this context, and only serves to increase the chances of people not expressing themselves.

I think it's very respectable that you 'sit on the lobbying boards' of committees to stop musicians being ripped off etc but I still don't understand why you feel it's wrong to support something you use and believe is beneficial to your job, and therefore hopefully to others as well, just because you're endorsed by them.

Especially when you say you always buy the products you endorse yourself, right?

Being a respected engineer/producer AND paying for the tools yourself is a great endorsement.

You know, not EVERYBODY reads advertising like it's gospel? I know I don't. In fact I rarely read advertising at all but I do read what people say and if I knew somebody like you (whoever you are...) and I knew your history and your accomplishments within industry and the esteem with which you were held... Oh anyway.

I've just had idea.

What if your wife was a musician? Would you then feel like you had a conflict of interest sitting on a committee that tries to make sure musicians don't get ripped off?

However we look at it, it's just opinions. You have yours and I have mine.

I think you're a great contributor here at GS and I really like your straightforward attitude to most things (not only to audio recording but also the business aspect as well) but here I will respectfully disagree.

Take care,

R.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
  #92
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
fair enough. I get your point more now. Apologies for any misunderstanding on my part.

Again - it's no so much about questioning BCs (or anyone else's place) in this arena. It's more that it's better to say nothing. I'm not saying at ALL that BC would deliberately do such a thing - but there is a call into question of whether his opinions are, if not directly influenced, perhaps tainted by personal relationships. For your point about "my wife" - well yes it would be if I happened to mention HER as the example to let work etc etc.

Yes I get your point about balance and different opinions. When I'm lobbying for musicians jobs in the UK (for that is my base) I certainly don't bring my own organisation into it apart from as a CV of my credentials. Never to say - "record with us" instead. That would be a conflict of interests on he two boards I sit on.

Good point on the advertising - one thing one misses when you are trying to avoid those kind of "upsets" (and for "one" read "me" !) is that very few people bother listening to adevrts.... apart from the newbies and inexperienced....that bit ties into my music tech "working it fairly" routines....

Anyway - yes.... opinions are just that.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #93
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➡️
Agreed. BC is right! The Mini-MP was GREAT!! And now SO ARE the Duet and Ensemble Preamps! How's my gear pimping doing?
Too bad the fruit cakes at Apple decided to do away with the Firewire port on the new Macbooks. I was just about sold on one (a macbook) plus an Ensemble until I found out it they wouldn't work together because Apple is too cool for Firewire now... unless you pay a small fortune for their insanely overpriced macbook pro. They are messing with your gear pimpin'! Apogee should ditch these idiots.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #94
Lives for gear
 
travisbrown's Avatar
 
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcballs ➡️
Too bad the fruit cakes at Apple decided to do away with the Firewire port on the new Macbooks. I was just about sold on one (a macbook) plus an Ensemble until I found out it they wouldn't work together because Apple is too cool for Firewire now... unless you pay a small fortune for their insanely overpriced macbook pro. They are messing with your gear pimpin'! Apogee should ditch these idiots.
That issue is a whole other thread, but in short, why would Apple include a format deprecated by the consumer market on a new consumer notebook? Sure the transition is painful when there are a few uses lingering around, but you have to make the break sometime.

If you want to use pro devices, pair them with a laptop with pro features. A firewire port on a Macbook likely now goes unused for 99% of users. Makes no sense to include it.

If Apple made the same decision next year, you still be doing the same complaining because you are an atypical user, so better to just rip that bandaid off quickly.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #95
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown ➡️
If you want to use pro devices, pair them with a laptop with pro features. A firewire port on a Macbook likely now goes unused for 99% of users. Makes no sense to include it.
Same goes for the MacPro 99% of the users don't need more than 3 slots.
FWIW the $999 White MacBook does have Firewire.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #96
70% Coffee, 30% Beer
 
Doc Mixwell's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcballs ➡️
Too bad the fruit cakes at Apple decided to do away with the Firewire port on the new Macbooks. I was just about sold on one (a macbook) plus an Ensemble until I found out it they wouldn't work together because Apple is too cool for Firewire now... unless you pay a small fortune for their insanely overpriced macbook pro. They are messing with your gear pimpin'! Apogee should ditch these idiots.
As stated, the 999$ Mac Book has FW 400. Problem solved.

I would disagree that the Mac Book Pro is overpriced. Its a more professional machine. PCI-e Express is the way of the warrior. I'll ask once again, How's my gear pimping doing now?
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #97
sbs
Gear Nut
 
sbs's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'll ask once again, How's my gear pimping doing now?
are you waiting for someone to suggest you're married to steve jobs?
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #98
Lives for gear
 
Barish's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The topic moved from Apogee BC to Apple Macs with no FW ports, so let's gerronwidit.

I find the complaints about lower end MacBooks not having FW ports as absurd as complaining about your Celeron laptop for not coping with your DAW software. They are not built for that. Period. If you want to use your Mac with a FW device, you need to buy the model with a FW port. As simple as that.

When I decided to buy my 2.4GHz MB133B MacBook Pro last summer, I'd checked the leading PC laptops that had similar specs in terms of processor type & speed, memory, HDD, screen type & size etc. and believe me, Sony and Dell and Toshiba and all those PC brands were more expensive than my MacBook Pro, which explains why I have a MBP instead of a Windows Laptop now.

It's just that, unlike your average Jujitsu Siemens, Apple don't sell 1.66GHz laptop when the leading technology is at 2.5GHz.

So I don't buy that "Apple prices are hyped" bull. Sorry. Do a correct comparison between equal specs and see the truth yourself. MacBooks are cheaper than PC laptops.

Hey Roc, I'm not that bad either, eh? (Oh, by the way, Steve, can I get the money now? In cash? Thanks.)

B.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #99
sbs
Gear Nut
 
sbs's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
when i bought this 2.16gig mac book pro in april 2007 i didnt do a spec comparison. i wanted to try apple having used desktop pc's for pt le for the last few years. (and far prefered the look and feel of the pro over the mac book)

having used os x for this amount of time, i dont give a hoot about the spec/price comparison, os x is sooo much nicer to run compared to vista. i spec'd my previos pc's to digi's requirments and have never had issues on either my mac or pc. i simply think that os x kicks the **** out of vista...

thread derailled?
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #100
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➡️
Dude why even go there?

The man has a proven history & track record better than anyone here and if that is what he thinks or feels than its probably coming from a good place.

If you disagree state it as so, but don't throw the guy under the bus with heresay.
(Very unprofessional IMO).
In reading the posts that followed, it's clear how this post was meant.

It could easily have been a sugggestion of the inverse - not that Bob is blowing the horn because of the connection, but it's also very likely possible that the product was designed and built better because of the connection.

The post could have been very positive.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 56 views: 6839
Avatar for Reptil
Reptil 16th April 2005
replies: 21 views: 15881
Avatar for trakk
trakk 5th February 2008
replies: 698 views: 247520
Avatar for EffinPoop
EffinPoop 28th May 2021
replies: 483 views: 59651
Avatar for Volt9
Volt9 2 weeks ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump