Quantcast
quested H108's ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
quested H108's ?
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
quested H108's ?

Any thoughts on these? Quality monitors? Resonably accurate in a general sesne?
Old 24th January 2009

🎧 15 years
Among my favorites. I think these are better balanced than the larger and more expensive 2108s (more often seen these days) that share the same drivers. With the 2108 you get a little more bass, but I don't feel that it's quite as even as the H108.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I had a pair with a Bryston 4BSST. They're forward sounding, and I'd get a headache after a long day. They are balanced although because they don't go down that low (just a tiny bit lower than NS10's), they sound a little top-end-centric. They're really tight sounding, and you can hear way back to the back of a room in a mix. Very detailed.

When I listen back to the mixes I did on them, I'm still very happy with those mixes.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Same opinion as jayfrigo here. Worked on many monitors and decided to stay with the H108.

@audiomichael: you should have tried them with another amplifier. With the "wrong" amps they can sound as you describe it - but with the right amp they just sound very accurate and well-balanced. No harshness, and a very tight, stable bass.
The H108 actually have much more low end compared to NS-10. The fact that you missed bass could be caused to either such a wrong amp and/or to improper positioning...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jay nailed it (as usual). Can't add anything else of substance.

--Ben
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneifel ➡️
Same opinion as jayfrigo here. Worked on many monitors and decided to stay with the H108.

@audiomichael: you should have tried them with another amplifier. With the "wrong" amps they can sound as you describe it - but with the right amp they just sound very accurate and well-balanced. No harshness, and a very tight, stable bass.
The H108 actually have much more low end compared to NS-10. The fact that you missed bass could be caused to either such a wrong amp and/or to improper positioning...
It comes down to what you're looking to hear. The H108's are great monitors, and I agree with your description of the speakers, but H108's are hardly the ultimate in bass reproduction. And there aren't many better amps than the Bryston 4BSST's for studio monitors.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael ➡️
It comes down to what you're looking to hear. The H108's are great monitors, and I agree with your description of the speakers, but H108's are hardly the ultimate in bass reproduction. And there aren't many better amps than the Bryston 4BSST's for studio monitors.
I've heard them sound great with Bryston, though a 4B (ST or SST) is more than I'd put on them. Honestly, they are quite happy with a 3B (ST or SST or course). Even better would be a Classé, something like a CA150 or CA200.

As for bass, they have enough, and it's accurate and tight, though not huge, as is to be expected. It's an 8" woofer in a compact cabinet. The laws of physics limit just how deep they'll go. They certainly aren't going to sound like Augsperger mains for your hip hop sessions!

The larger cabinet of the discontinued HQ-108, and current replacement VP-2108 (or VS-2108 for the active version) was a response to this, but in adding some more deep bass with the larger cabinet and extra port, I think the mid-bass to low-mid area got unintentionally accentuated a bit as well, and though still very good, they are just a touch less even than the plain 108.
Old 12th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
DC uses the H-108 and H-208 for mastering tasks. I do respect his tips.

I have to find a way to take a listen.

Anyone else using them?
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hi guys,

i am bumping this old thread because i am interested if the 108H´s would be suitable for Mastering.
I believe that Stephen Marcussen is using them in addition to his Nautilus 802´s (at least he is listing them on his website).

Any thoughts?

cheers
📝 Reply