Quantcast
I just discovered the greatest acoustic treatment!.. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I just discovered the greatest acoustic treatment!..
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I just discovered the greatest acoustic treatment!..

...thought i'd let you lot in on my find !

I was recording a bit of french horn yesterday in my mates studio with a nice sounding hall that i use for strings, drums etc, but the landlord also likes to use the room as a gallery / party area etc so you never know what you will find there. They were obviously planning to have a bit of a get together there that night as there were about 50 standard (spandex?) balloons tied to the ceiling. ..... dead as a diplodocus! ... which really narked my actually, cos what i wanted was the hall sound. I had to really shift the room mics to get some ambience!
Anyway, it got me thinking that i could use a few scattered round my mix room.

Anyone know for sure if my theory holds helium?!
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzzywuzzy ➑️

I was recording a bit of french horn yesterday in my mates studio with a nice sounding hall that i use for strings, drums etc, but the landlord also likes to use the room as a gallery / party area etc so you never know what you will find there. They were obviously planning to have a bit of a get together there that night as there were about 50 standard (spandex?) balloons tied to the ceiling. ..... dead as a diplodocus! ... which really narked my actually, cos what i wanted was the hall sound. I had to really shift the room mics to get some ambience!

Man I hope so. Could do with some brightening up round here!!

Sounds reasonable though. The whole different densities, and diffuse surfaces thing.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I'm just thankful I don't have to fill my 703 traps with helium every week..
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
helium cylinder : Β£18.95. fills 935 (!) balloons
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
helium cylinder : Β£18.95. fills 935 (!) balloons

you know...I really like that idea....for fifty bucks you can take the ceiling right out of the picture...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That really will lighten your wallet.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ha! Great find!

I'll try that out the next time I have to do remote recording in a bar I frequent.

🎧 15 years
Don't helium balloons deflate in a few days?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
How long will you be recording?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ballons look prettier than auralex!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
will nitrous also work?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton ➑️
Yep. There is a gel you can buy that can seal them for weeks or more though...

I have a helium balloon in my house that's been floating for 6 years now and shows no sign of ever coming down
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Will mylar have the same effect? Or do I need NOS vintage balloons? heh
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've just begun using overweight people for sound treatment. With the economic downturn and whatnot, it's not too expensive these days.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- ➑️
will nitrous also work?
i'll bet no, for 2 reasons:

1. nitrous oxide has a different density than helium
2. you'll never get around to actually recording because of the wah wah wah WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
i feel a certain duty to see this experiment through.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
i'm thinking brown and silver
METALLIC COLOUR 11" RANGE
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
As sound travels through helium three times faster than through air, I am assuming that what happened in this case was some kind of extreme example of refraction-reflection, similar to the effects found within temperature inversion at an open-air rock concert, where the sound travels through the cold air above the audience and bounces off the warm air of the audience and returns to the cold air. The audience complains the sound was not loud enough, but people living five miles away, trying to get some sleep, think it is more than loud enough.
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Its because of the balloon shapes. They were acting as diffusers which work great in live areas. Its no the helium.....lol nice try. Look into acoustic behaviors and you will see what I mean. Its the balloons braking up wave forms thats why it sounded dead.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
so in that case
those odd balloon's in weird shapes of cartoon characters would work even better.

and if its not the helium, you can just blow them up yourself, bluetack them to the ceiling if its low enough
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph ➑️
Yep. There is a gel you can buy that can seal them for weeks or more though...

I have a helium balloon in my house that's been floating for 6 years now and shows no sign of ever coming down
Yeah, but if you use that gel, you lose a little tightness in the low end. Vintage helium is the only way to go. I have a helium tank from germany used in WWII, if you are really serious about your music, you gotta use that. I could be tempted to sell for $5000.
Also, don't forget about the caps used on the tank, they should be serviced by a professional, but the waiting list is 12 months right now. Anyways, I've had my tank modded, and it really does have a nice top end now, very airy.
pan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➑️
I've just begun using overweight people for sound treatment. With the economic downturn and whatnot, it's not too expensive these days.
Yeah - MEAT is the answer to many acoustic problems...
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➑️
This method can also be used for insulation in the winter.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
While you are experimenting, grab a few cans of large expanding foam from a Home Depot or some store like that and fill some balloons with that. Just experiment with the first few to see how little foam you have to put in it for the foam to expand the balloon fully and hopefully the chemicals in the foam won't disolve the ballon (do the first few on some cardboard just in case, that stuff is a bitch to clean up). It will be a one time expense as these will never deflate! The foam is light enough to rig/staple to the ceiling with some cheap decreative fish netting. The Card & Party stores will have cheap balloons in packs of all the same color. Once the foam sets you could even just cut the ballon off. If you also grab a couple small pcs. of wood and a vice grip pliers you would not even need to put a knot in the ballon to seal it, just clamp the end and let the foam expand fully. Have some fun with it and as allways post some pics LOL!!!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre ➑️
As sound travels through helium three times faster than through air, I am assuming that what happened in this case was some kind of extreme example of refraction-reflection, similar to the effects found within temperature inversion at an open-air rock concert, where the sound travels through the cold air above the audience and bounces off the warm air of the audience and returns to the cold air. The audience complains the sound was not loud enough, but people living five miles away, trying to get some sleep, think it is more than loud enough.
Back in the '60s, there was a Saturn V moon rocket test here that was done on a day when there was just such an air inversion. Many people in town didn't hear it, but it broke windows in Nashville, 120 miles away. stike
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr ➑️
While you are experimenting, grab a few cans of large expanding foam from a Home Depot or some store like that and fill some balloons with that. .....
I wouldn't do that. In the sealed balloon the foam will never dry. It will foam up at first but then revert back to its gooey, deflated state it was in the can.

I had a smart idea last time I moved to use this stuff as a makeshift packing material. I wrapped some gear in plastic, placed the gear in a box, put a bag on the end, squirted in spray foam and folded the bag over the foam (which sealed the foam in). When I came back a few hours I had a box of sticky, drippy, mess.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton ➑️
The mylar ones last just about forever (my two daughters have dozens of disney and princess mylar balloons around still from birthdays.)

The more reflective surface of those might be interesting too.
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
These helium balloons - they are only half measures.

Vee haf here in our studio an original Great War Zeppelin, the same one that was flown from Germany down to Tanzania to give support to the valorous Colonel von Lettow-Vorbec and his askari army. It is not well known that this historic craft was then flown to Hawaii, and was the precurser of the WWII raid on Pearl Harbor.

You can be sure that this beats most installations of mere "clouds".
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Nice one. I hope it's to the benefit of you're drum sounds...

erm... It has come to light that the balloons do not contain helium. They're just pinned up to the ceiling. That sort of nullifies a lot of the speculation on this page.
Old 2nd October 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Nice one. I hope it's to the benefit of you're drum sounds...

erm... It has come to light that the balloons do not contain helium. They're just pinned up to the ceiling. That sort of nullifies a lot of the speculation on this page.
So did you ever carry through with the experiment? Perhaps if you made a vocal booth out of a balloon gondola to raise it off the floor. You know, the original one used in the recording of 99 Luftballons....

This has to be the most punny thread in the history of GS. And for that I am grateful.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…