Quantcast
quick digidesign question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
quick digidesign question
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
quick digidesign question

I know this is a dumb question, but i havent got a straight answer from anyone yet haha

if i currently have an mbox2 with pro tools LE and i were to buy a 003 Rack or 003 Control Surface from a friend or whereever, there shouldnt be any issue just plugging it in.... right? Pro tools should load up fine and work and all that good stuff

How about transferring the registration information so Digi knows im in possession of it now?
Are there any fees?

I currently am trying to get away from my mBox 2 and move more toward the 003 series, but i dont necessarily need all the software and bundle junk... just the hardware
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I believe that the software license you hold should match the hardware that is registered. But someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No issues, just plug it in. If one is USB and the other is Firewire, you may need drivers from the website, but I don't think that will even be the case.

The only thing that will happen is that your previously created sessions won't immediately see the additional I/O. You'll have to remap by clicking "default" to go from 2 in/outs to 8+ depending on the configuration.

s
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I had an mbox 2, bought a used 002r, plugged it in and went on my way.

no problems whatsoever - you will want to hit the I/O window and make sure you get everything configured in there (usually best to hit the 'default' button so it restores all available I/O options on the new hardware).
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
alright cool. so its fine to buy the control surface, use it with my current software and just go ahead and maybe sell my mbox?

no problems.

another question. Can you run a 003 rack and control surface at the same time on the same computer?

(use the i/o capabilities of the rack, but use the control/mixing capabilities of the control surface)
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
the rack and console have the same I/O capabilities.

and as for running both - I don't think you could. If you have the console just use that (as I said, it has the same I/O capabilities). If you only have a rack, you can get a command 8 which is basically a 002 stripped down.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
does anyone else know if you can have the rack and control surface hooked up at the same time, using the i/o of the rack but still using the full control options the factory offers?

if ya cant, how different is the command 8 then the 003 control?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
if you want the control surface, why not just get the 003 instead of the rack?

And the command 8 isn't much different, it just lacks the I/O options.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As mentioned, plug in the unit and it will work. Depending on what version of PT you have you won't even need to install drivers. They install all by default.

RE: Having 003R and 003 at the same time, I don't think it's possible as you have to choose one interface at a time. If I have both MBox & 002 connected, I have to select one to use so it should be identical for the 003R & 003. I'm not sure if there is a way to just use the controller options on the 003. Thing is, why would you want to? The 003 has the same i/o as the 003R. Makes no sense to have the rack for i/o and the control surface just for the tactile controls.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
the control surface one has 4 ins while the rack+ has 8.

I want the i/o of the rack! but i dig the control surface, the only alternative if i went with the rack and the control surface cant be used at the same time would be that mackie control universal that works only HUI...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtr917punk ➑️
the control surface one has 4 ins while the rack+ has 8.
Ahhhh.... you never mentioned this before. You said 003R not 003R+.

By the way, they have 8 ins. You mean 4 mic pre's yeah? The 003R+ has 8 mic pre's.

You could always get the 003 and bang on some extra pre's via lightpipe. There's a few inexpensive ones out there. You'd prob end up with 12 mic pre's that way.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Ah - I didn't catch that you were referring to the rack+. Sorry about that.

Personally, unless you already own the 003r+ - why not buy another preamp option to go with it? It will probably cost you less, and sound better. Just an opinion of course - the pre's aren't as terrible as they get ragged on for, but honestly, if you can save money, and get better sound, why wouldn't you?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi ➑️
Ahhhh.... you never mentioned this before. You said 003R not 003R+.

By the way, they have 8 ins. You mean 4 mic pre's yeah? The 003R+ has 8 mic pre's.

You could always get the 003 and bang on some extra pre's via lightpipe. There's a few inexpensive ones out there. You'd prob end up with 12 mic pre's that way.
great minds think alike and post at the same time huh?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckreon ➑️
great minds think alike and post at the same time huh?
Hahaha.....

I beat you by 2 mins. Does that make me greater?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi ➑️
Hahaha.....

I beat you by 2 mins. Does that make me greater?
I think so
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hehhehheh
πŸ“ Reply