Quantcast
Oddball mics - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oddball mics
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
man, I love the oktava ML19s! they really are amazing on guitar amps. and violin, too.
the beyer 320 is another great ribbon- try it on upright bass.
I love working at the Seaside Lounge in Brooklyn.
(oh, and they've also got a few EV664s, and a bunch of other oddball EV omnidirectional dynamics.)
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGoody ➡️
FWIW, here is my soviet hall of fame, which I have all in pairs. And of course, my table of toy mics, which receive reverence here for their utility.
How does this ear simulation work. I have been thinking to model some ears myself for binaural project of ambient sounds?
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanakaru ➡️
How does this ear simulation work. I have been thinking to model some ears myself for binaural project of ambient sounds?
Well, I just installed my pair of ears on a latex head, and installed the mics inside, as if it were a binaural head. Seems to me that it works quite well. Admittedly, I'm using it as a sort of FUKKO head (my vernacular for destroying sounds), but spacially, it does exactly what I'd hoped.

I'm not sure what the prosthetic ears contribute, but I can only tell you that it's working.
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Oktava MD-186 is a rare Russian dynamic microphone - I'm pretty sure there are only four of them in North America.

Lets start the description by talking about the packaging. This mic comes packed in a what looks to be a retro-fitted tool box, the hinged cover opens with a clunk and the mic clip doesn't match the foam cut out. There's an extra female XLR connector in there. Weird. Then there's the faded Russian language manual with hand-written notations and serial number written on that very thin paper that was common in communist countries a while back.

This mic has a very heavy and solid feel in the hand. There's a clever adjustable amplitude 50Hz roll off switch at the base of the mic just above the XLR connector. 0dB, 7dB or 12dB of attenuation selectable via a rotating collar.

What's it sound like? This mic produces a "processed", AM radio clutter-cutter sound. There is a strong low midrange presence peak centered at 500Hz-700Hz that brings out the "knock" of a kick drum beater, the "growl" of fretless bass or the bark of an aggressive rock vocal. There's a secondary presence peak in the 2kHz - 4kHz range that provides additional "edgy" articulation for lead vocals. This is a mic that rocks in a lo-fi way.
Attached Thumbnails
Oddball mics-md186_600.jpg  
Old 16th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGoody ➡️
Well, I just installed my pair of ears on a latex head, and installed the mics inside, as if it were a binaural head. Seems to me that it works quite well. Admittedly, I'm using it as a sort of FUKKO head (my vernacular for destroying sounds), but spacially, it does exactly what I'd hoped.

I'm not sure what the prosthetic ears contribute, but I can only tell you that it's working.
Funny, I have thought of getting a head before and doing that. Might search one out and see what my pair of blondies sounds like poking out of its lobes.....
📝 Reply