Quantcast
at4051 vs beyer 930mc - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
at4051 vs beyer 930mc
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
at4051 vs beyer 930mc

hello, thinking of adding a pair of sdc's for solo acoustic fingerstyle. I have a pair of at4050 and while I'm no mic expert, they seem to work well, especially for the price. so can anyone compare the original at4051 to the mc930 for ac guitar? thanks in advance
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
never tried the AT 4051, but I'm very happy with the mc930 on acoustic guitar. But a pair of 4050 on acoustic isn't bad either. What are you missing with your current pair of ATs?
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had a pair of the AT4051a, and I compared them to my MC930s. I much prefer the MC930 on everything I've used them on, so much so that I sold the AT4051s and got another pair of MC930s. The AT4051s, while not bad mics, didn't have the clarity or depth that the MC930s have.
Lives for gear
AT4051 are so cheap on eBay and even the classifieds, like $200-$250 each. I think they are the best SDC you can get for the kind of coin. I like them on acoustic and drum overheads.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
i have owned DPA 4011s, schoeps cmc64s, km184s, C481s, C461s, etc, etc, over the years, and the AT4051s are some of my favorite mics for all kinds of acoustic applications. like any mics, it helps to match them to a preamp that flatters their basic character. if you are using a brightish, FET preamp, warmer mics do better. if you are using an older neve or tube pre, a mic with a slight lift in the high end tends to work better. the 4051s seem to work with everything i have around here, from my HV3s to my little mackie mixer - a nice big open and transparent sound.

i found AT4050s (a great mic, btw) to be wonderful on many things, but always seemed boomy to me on acoustic guitar. the 4051s really shine on acoustic guitar. i recently did a high-end commercial CD of solo piano - a 7'4" bosendorfer - where the AT4051s beat out pairs of DPA 4006s, DPA 4011s, and my trusty C481s. i thought i would wind up using a blend of mid-room omnis and a closer pair of cards, but after hearing test mixes, both the pianist and i agreed the single pair of 4051s was just the ticket. probably the cleanest recording i have ever made, and that is the kind of thing that sticks with you for a while.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
some clips and interesting comments about the beyers in this thread comparing them to some JZ mics and a pair of schoeps:

https://gearspace.com/board/remote-p...ic-guitar.html
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thanks for all the replies. decibike, I guess I am not really missing anything in particular with the 4050's. they tend to be somewhat grainy on my male bari vox, but on ac guitar, they can be quite decent. truth be told I'd like to check ou some sdc's just because so many here and elsewhere consider them the defacto acoustic guitar mic. I am only considering the original japan 4051, not 4051a. not sure if the 4051's will be different enough to justify having them and give me an alternative color? mc930's get good reviews and not too much more so that's why I consider them. jnorman, thanks for the info and link, very interesting. pres for now only mackie onyx. soon pendulum and or forssell.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have some KM84, some C460b and a 4051. It is the " lightweight" of the bunch. When I want something to sound full and big I reach somewhere else. That's not bad. I constantly chose it for overdubs in dense mixes and small percussion. It is the best tambourine and chimes mic (no joke). It also sound very nice in vocals.

Some months ago I got rid of some mics I was not using, so I did a shootout with a friend. My 4051 was almost in the " unemployment" list until the shootout. I fell in love with it again.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ah I see, as I do mostly solo guitar, never any mixes approaching dense, I'll be trying the beyers. thanks for the info.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
gregory - frankly, for solo acoustic guitar, i probably would use a pair of omnis rather than cards. in your price range, you should give some consideration to the DPA 4090s, avenson STO-2's, and the new AT4022s. i recently posted some samples of a flute and piano comparing a spaced omni pair of AT4022s vs ORTF AT4051 cards - i think the thread was "spaced pair vs ORTF" in the remote forum.

omnis can give you a nice big spacious sound, with no proximity effect even up close. listen to some of the clips posted around here by ivo sedlacek - his main mics are a pair of schoeps cmc6/mk2 omnis (near field omnis), and he does very nice work.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thanks for the reply jnorman. very interesting stuff. I have for some time wanted a pair of omnis as an option, but have been waiting until I'm completely satisfied with my diy room treatments. if that ever happens
πŸ“ Reply