Quantcast
Room AND Plate reverb on snare? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Room AND Plate reverb on snare?
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Room AND Plate reverb on snare?

Would you consider it good or bad practice to include a touch of room reverb on a snare if you were also using a plate as the main snare reverb?
Repeat the same question for vocals.

Thanks very much!
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I often do... Can help to glue the sound of the kit together a bit. Depends on other things though, e.g. genre, song and how much room sound the recording had in it to begin with. There are times when you will need very little or even no reverb at all to get the sound you are after. Remember there are no rules. If it sounds right to you then do it! Don't be afraid to experiment.
Old 16th May 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Usually I run all my drum tracks to a bus. Then place a reverb like Rverb or Roomworks on the bus to bring in a little room sound as well on the snare track I have some plate to give that nice snare shine.

So yes... it happens and sounds pretty good. If my room sounded better I would use that but instead I mic real close and add a better sounding room.
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I generally run anywhere from 3 to 7 reverbs in a mix, and any given instrument can have more than one, often more than 3.

so you could have a main snare reverb but also have a general band reverb for blending or whatever, so you could easily have 2 reverbs on the snare. And then there might be delays timed to rhythmic values of the beat independent of the the reverbs.

Sometimes the amounts are so slight that you pretty much have to go on faith that it is 'doing something' - but as you near the end of the mix, if you drop it out, you notice the difference
Gear Maniac

10 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Of course there are no rules but if i were to add another reverb to a plate it would probably be a small tight room.
๐Ÿ“ Reply