Quantcast
Monitor level with SPDIF is connected? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitor level with SPDIF is connected?
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Monitor level with SPDIF is connected?

I have my mbox connected to my D/A convertor thru spdif and my speakers volume at 0 on each
So im wondering in PT LE what is the perfect level to have my Master track peaking at for perfect mixing?
Also should i turn my speaker volume up or could this cause distortion?
Old 23rd January 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by finlove ➡️
I have my mbox connected to my D/A convertor thru spdif and my speakers volume at 0 on each
So im wondering in PT LE what is the perfect level to have my Master track peaking at for perfect mixing?
Also should i turn my speaker volume up or could this cause distortion?
What DAC are you using? Do you have any kind of monitor controller so you can simply attenuate the level post DAC and leave your DAW master fader at unity gain [0]? I find that that is the best way to work. I would set your monitors so that they offer the best signal to noise ratio for the gain your giving them, so I would advise leaving them at unity or perhaps with a little trim if you need to.

Printing your levels depends on what your doing musically, but I would say, with the Mbox, its best to leave a lot of headroom for transients, so that might mean your peak might hit -18 or below on the channels, or perhaps a little hotter at -12, but I would not push it further than that with the Mbox.

With your master buss, you may [depending] what to run that around -6 or even more conservative at -12, so you are leaving more headroom for peak's and valley's [quiet parts] and I think with more headroom your audio will sound clearer.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…