Quantcast
Just put deposit on a last gen Macbook Pro 2.5, any reason to get a Unibody instead? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Just put deposit on a last gen Macbook Pro 2.5, any reason to get a Unibody instead?
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Just put deposit on a last gen Macbook Pro 2.5, any reason to get a Unibody instead?

Just wondering if anybody has any experience with using the older generation vs the newer generation of MBPs for music. The specs of the two are almost identical, though of course the older generation model has the extra port, and is quite a lot cheaper than the newer one.

Must say the unibody designs look nice, but other than that I couldn't really think of any reason not go with the older one.
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I've used the previous generation 2.4 GHz as my main machine for recording and mixing, and it was a great machine. Now I'm using a unibody 2.53 GHz and it's great as well.

The new ones have a few advantages though:
-a tiny bit faster processors (new gen. from intel)
-faster system bus (1067MHz vs. 800MHz)
-faster memory (1067MHz vs. 667MHz)
-faster graphics (which might not be relevant today but when Snow Leopard comes out you'll probably be able to utilize the GPU for audio processing.)
-user serviceable harddrive
-the unibody enclosure gives a more solid feel

If you're going to use an external audio harddrive and a firewire audio interface I would recommend that you use a firewire or esata expresscard in addition to the built in port(s). One or two built in firewire ports doesn't matter when what you connect either way is sharing the same firewire bus. On low track counts one firewire bus still might be sufficient.

Anyway... either macbook pro will probably do what you want it to.
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ive got the 2.4 unibody and couldnt be happier. The gloss screen is GREAT very very bright and rich and reflexions arent a problem for me...i use an HP 22 monitor via the minidisplay port which works like a dream, its super fast and the case is great-no plastic to break or flex.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Serious, the screen and resolution are really great. i have the newer macbook pro. Also, the glass track pad is smooth as butter and i'm loving the magnetic closure. This is one truly solid laptop. Really i don't see how they could improve upon this thing.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledoodler ➡️
Really i don't see how they could improve upon this thing.
8GB memory as in the new macbook pro 17" would be cool. Not sure I'd really need it yet though... heh

As mentioned earlier, software updates can give these macbooks even more power.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…