Quantcast
Best preamp for emulation hardware plugins like Waves SSL, API, UAD NEVE. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best preamp for emulation hardware plugins like Waves SSL, API, UAD NEVE.
Old 23rd January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Best preamp for emulation hardware plugins like Waves SSL, API, UAD NEVE.

Hi everyone. I wonder what kind of preamp is the best to use with emulation hardware plugins (Waves SSL, API or UAD NEVE, etc); if it's better to use a clean preamp like Avalon M5 or a colored preamp like a AMS NEVE or SSL Channel Strip?
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
this debate has gone on for so long and it is simply down to personal preference.

here is my take... Generally all of them are very good plug ins and can do a great job.... not all of them are as close to the real hardware they try to imitate... but still have the same kind of character and still sound good.

I have a the Waves SSL and UAD and they are both great, allthough if your focus is getting the closest emulations then UAD tend to lead the way.
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Are you asking what kind of preamp to use with those plug ins?
I like the idea of using a preamp that is in the same family as the plug in. I use Pendulum with Waves SSL (not that they're simliar beyond a certain cleanness, and I do use my Great River with SSL too, but not driven real hard), a Great River with UAD Neve (would liek to get a BAE), and would like to buy a pair of API pre's and the Waves API bundle soon. Then I supplement with other UAD "outboard" and it all seems to make sense and cohere.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
""Are you asking what kind of preamp to use with those plug ins?""

Yes, that what I mean. I want to know if it's better a clean signal or a colored signal to have the best emulation result.
Old 8th October 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just get the best sounding preamps (to your taste) that you can afford. It will translate to the better overall sound. I love the sound of Neve preamps. CLA said that he favors the sound of music that was tracked through Neve before it hits his SSL board.
Old 8th October 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Yes. Just get the best Pre which you like and can afford.
Old 11th October 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Um....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunes 666 ➑️
this debate has gone on for so long and it is simply down to personal preference.

here is my take... Generally all of them are very good plug ins and can do a great job.... not all of them are as close to the real hardware they try to imitate... but still have the same kind of character and still sound good.

I have a the Waves SSL and UAD and they are both great, allthough if your focus is getting the closest emulations then UAD tend to lead the way.
That wasn't the question though....question was which preamp to use with these emulations in general.
Old 11th October 2015
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I would go with the best pre you can afford, colored or otherwise.
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
dead set on emulating, eh? why don't you get a pre that your favorite emulation is based on. then you won't have to emulate as much
πŸ“ Reply