Quantcast
Pleasurable Noise Floor - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pleasurable Noise Floor
View Poll Results: What Level of Noise Floor in Music Do You Prefer
Obvious Noise Floor, such as Vinyl pops and crackles, loud tape hiss, Hum
0 Votes - 0%
Subtle Noise Floor, you hear it if you think about it, but you won't if you don't
3 Votes - 27.27%
Minimum Noise Floor, No Hum, Hiss, Needle in Groove, etc. You strain to hear the noise floor
8 Votes - 72.73%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Pleasurable Noise Floor

ok, so after searching around for a while I can't find any threads about what I want to talk about, although I'm pretty sure we've talked about this before.

Is there something to be said for a noticable noise floor? One step further,...is there something a noticable noise floor does which is pleasing to the senses while listening to music?

We have the lovers of vinyl, tape, cassettes, all those formats with a noise floor, granted some alot quieter than others, but still, often a noticable noise floor consciously and unconsciously. Throw in dither, preamps, mics, room noise, etc, and we're all dealing with some sort of noise floor at some point, but just wondering if a noisier noise floor (obviously not too noisy as to be distracting and annoying) adds something to the listening experience compared to a very quiet or not noticable noise floor? Or perhaps the quieter the better?

Anyone ever done a shootout of varying noise floor levels for the same song?
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Check out 'She's so heavy' on The Beatles white album ... white noise from a Moog gets mixed in louder and louder ... it's an interesting effect, and I can't think of anyone else who has done anything so blatant with white noise.

Noise masks a lot of problems and I think provides a level of comfort. But I much prefer the lowest noisefloor possible. The blacker the better.

IMO, there will always be sufficient noise even with the best mics and preamps etc. No need to add more, except for a very special effect in small doses.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…