Quantcast
Inaugural Quartet--tape playback - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Inaugural Quartet--tape playback
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Inaugural Quartet--tape playback

I had never been so certain of anything that these guys were playing live. My apologies to all who I bulldozed with my certainty. I'm here for my flogging now.

Famed quartet played inauguration to taped music - Yahoo! News
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I wondered about that as I was watching. It sure looked cold and physics were against them. I think they made the right call, and the piece was beautiful.
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singinto Th'Can ➑️
I wondered about that as I was watching. It sure looked cold and physics were against them. I think they made the right call, and the piece was beautiful.
let's say since they were able to fool professional eyes/ears, it was justified!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
it's not cheating or comparable to some one lip-syncing to an edited aut-tuned mess.

i thought at first it was canned but as the music went on, i kept thinking "maybe it's not windy, maybe thats why those mics sound so good." by the end I was sure it was the real deal.
Gear Guru
Nothing in Washington, DC is real. It's all a dog and pony show.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

word....
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Drive a few blocks from the White House..

Reality sets in Really quick.. Believe me..

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I was fooled too. Great work in other words.

But why did the put up fake microphones? Product placement? Hmm...

EDIT: I remember thinking the violin miking looked very odd...

Martin
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
too bad Chief Justice Roberts wasn't taped. what an idiot.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Very funny. that was, after all, our whole reason for being there.

-R
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey ➑️
Exactly!

There's no way those wooden instruments would be able to play in tune @30deg F.

GC
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Kantola ➑️
I was fooled too. Great work in other words.

But why did the put up fake microphones?

Martin
in case the tape broke and they needed to fall back to the Live Sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey
The swearing-in was taped - and Roberts and Obama spent all week rehearsing all the stuttering and stopping to stay in sync with the tape. Very good job on this difficult task, I must say! This was to insure that Obama was not actually legally sworn in as President because (insert preferred Conspiracy Theory HERE)
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
From THEIR point of you...

i can imagine it having been a very difficult discussion/decision for musicians of that caliber to have/make to know that that sort of shenanigans would be going down on such an important day. And to also know that it was unavoidable! Something Ashlee Simpson probably didn't go through! heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I was amazed when I heard it was taped. While watching, I looked specifically at the players' hands for the vibrato to see if it was live. Looked live to me, even in HD.

Now Aretha, she sang it then and there! (of course, to a prerecorded backing track)
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman ➑️
Drive a few blocks from the White House..

Reality sets in Really quick.. Believe me..

I'm from DC and that is the truth. People always joke about how you can see the Capitol very clearly from some of the worse projects (and best weed spots heh) in DC.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I too didnt notice. It never ever occured to me that this was done in classical music so I wasn't paying too much attention.
rsp
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R. ➑️
I was amazed when I heard it was taped. While watching, I looked specifically at the players' hands for the vibrato to see if it was live. Looked live to me, even in HD.

Now Aretha, she sang it then and there! (of course, to a prerecorded backing track)
I noticed that also, about the vibrato. How could they have so accurately visually matched a playback with no click and such complex music? Amazing.

-R
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman ➑️
I noticed that also, about the vibrato. How could they have so accurately visually matched a playback with no click and such complex music? Amazing.

-R
Because they were the ones who recorded it in the first place. I'm sure these guys have no problem playing the same thing twice with an impressive amount of exactitude. They are, after all, among the best players in the world.
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman ➑️
I had never been so certain of anything that these guys were playing live. My apologies to all who I bulldozed with my certainty. I'm here for my flogging now.

Famed quartet played inauguration to taped music - Yahoo! News
Even though I wondered at the time if it might be 'lip-synced,' I was pretty sure while watching that it was live, too, and argued the position in this forum.

I haven't watched a replay of that segment but my impression at the time was that they looked pretty 'real.'

Thanks for catching us up on that. I'm glad to get hipped up now and not stick my foot in it again later...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by britdick ➑️
i can imagine it having been a very difficult discussion/decision for musicians of that caliber to have/make to know that that sort of shenanigans would be going down on such an important day. And to also know that it was unavoidable! Something Ashlee Simpson probably didn't go through! heh
No kidding...

Talk about good news/bad news.

The good news is that you get to play at an historic presidential inauguration... the bad news is that, despite being at or near the pinnacle of your profession, you have to fake it...

That said, I thought they looked really good... heh
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I thought it was strange that they had 3 big monitors on there platform, now i know why!!! So they could be in time with the pre recorded music.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
more bad news

other things faked at the Inauguration:

1. Aretha's Hat? Not really there! People at the actual event saw Aretha wearing a black helmet with ping pong balls glued to it. Computer modeling tracked her movements and mapped a 3D rendering of a building in Sydney, Australia onto her head.

2. The "boo"s that greeted Bush's introduction. Remarkably, nobody at the actual event was rude enough to boo, but network producers were prepared with pre-recorded boos for just such an eventuality.

3. Cheney's wheelchair. Not only can Cheney walk, he can run a six minute mile. The wheelchair was to disguise the fact that just before leaving office, Cheney had his head transplanted onto a fit, young body. Donor unknown.

4. The size of the crowd. It was cold, dude! Most of what you see trailing off into the distance was taken from a Verizon commercial. If you look closely, you can see the "can you hear me now" guy.

5. W's facial expressions during the speech.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➑️
other things faked at the Inauguration:

1. Aretha's Hat? Not really there! People at the actual event saw Aretha wearing a black helmet with ping pong balls glued to it. Computer modeling tracked her movements and mapped a 3D rendering of a building in Sydney, Australia onto her head.

2. The "boo"s that greeted Bush's introduction. Remarkably, nobody at the actual event was rude enough to boo, but network producers were prepared with pre-recorded boos for just such an eventuality.

3. Cheney's wheelchair. Not only can Cheney walk, he can run a six minute mile. The wheelchair was to disguise the fact that just before leaving office, Cheney had his head transplanted on to a fit, young body. Donor unknown.

4. The size of the crowd. It was cold, dude! Most of what you see trailing off into the distance was taken from a Verizon commercial. If you look closely, you can see the "can you hear me now" guy.

5. W's facial expressions during the speech.

LAMO
πŸ“ Reply