Trouble recording vocals... help?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trouble recording vocals... help??
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Addict

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Trouble recording vocals... help??

I'm recording vocals with a TLM 103 and it sounds very good for this great pop singer. The thing is that it distorts when he starts singing loud and unfortunately, most of choruses are like that.
First I thought it was the pre (LA610, which adds some kind of tube warm to it) but I found out its mostly the microphone.
ive tried different preamps and settings and I went with a setup that doesnt bring too much distortion. actually its acceptable but it has that "hot" sound on the loudest parts...... but Im afraid that when it comes to mixing, it starts to annoy me.
The thing is we need to keep going and I cant lose more time triying more ****... we need to progress.. and honestly, i dont care for some distortion if the songs sells anyway . u know what i mean... but i went psycho with it..
Is there anything that im doing wrong? I even told him to sing less close to the mike but I start getting more room and less definition. Im using the la610 on 2k input and it seems to attenuate some of the warmth....

Maybe I should try another mike? I dont have much options right now honestly, but im free to hear suggestions.

Thanks!
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would lower the input on the 610 to -5 and raise the makeup gain on the comp. You're probably pushin' the tubes too hard. If that doesn't do it use the pad.
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
it seems that he overpowers condensors close in.
and you can't back him off because of the room.
i'd give him an sm7 or sm58 and let him do his thing.
save some time.
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Deleted User
For what it's worth, the TLM 103 is the LOUDEST mic I own. It has an extremely hot output, and no attenuation pad on board. Couple that with the fact that the 610 preamp is often mentioned as having less useable gain/headroom than many more modern pres, then you've got a recipe for trouble.

I like the 610's sound myself (I've got one in a UA6176), but it's definitely a little less flexible when it comes to levels.

Best advice would be to try a better mic with a lower output. For a long time, my main alternative to the 103 was an AT4060. Much prefer it...
But if you don't have any other options, at least make sure you're using the -15db pad on the 610 to give yourself as much headroom as possible.
Gear Addict

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Im using it on -10 actually, not too much preamp level, and more post gain..
its the mike obviously..
but i dont wanna change it since i like the way the vocals sound.. and he likes it too..
maybe my monitors are too revealing. (A7s)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You could try moving him off axis from the mic a bit. Or try aiming it at his mouth from above, so he sings below it. You could try wrapping some fabric over the mic, might deaden it a bit, though.

You could also move him back a bit, and record in a better sounding room.

You could set up a 2nd mic, then switch to it for the loud parts. Might be a little challenging to match the tone, but if the chorus is significantly different from the verse, it could work.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Turn knobs counter clockwise until it stops.
'
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It is probably NOT the mic. The TLM103 is one of the highest-SPL-handling mics in the business. It'll take almost anything you throw at it with ease. On the other hand, the LA610 is one of the trickier channel strips to gain stage. It has already been noted that the output of the TLM103 is very hot, and that right there, coupled with the gain staging in the 610 is almost certainly where you are getting clipping. Try the -15dB pad switch as well as the Gain knob backed off to -5 or -10. If you're still getting clipping you may have a damaged TLM103.
Gear Addict

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Humm. weird!!
I tried the 103 with my Api312 straight to the RME and it still had "little" distortion on the loudest parts, low but still there
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm not familiar with the 610 but is sounds like something wrong with the mic.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Turn knobs counter clockwise until it stops.

I can't stop laughing ....

I hope it lasts for a few days ...

Thanks Vernier ....

Michael V
Tassie
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
---------

Last edited by IzzyRock; 24th January 2009 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: bad file
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I hear dead silence... did something go wrong with the file?

But anyways, yeah - if the guy can sing as loud as a 747 on takeoff, then yes, he might be able to distort a correctly-functioning TLM-103, but unless there's something wrong with that particular microphone, the issue lies somewhere else within your signal chain.
Gear Addict

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Oh ****...
I exported with the monitor on... :( too bad im not in the studio now.. i'll upload it soon again..

Well yeah. I guess its the mike. im gonna borrow another 103 this week to compare 1 on 1..
The chain is pretty clean... 103-mogami-la610-mogami-line in Rme800
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, could be the mic, also maybe use a steadman or royer to help on some of the plosives?
πŸ“ Reply