Quantcast
Adding external D > A conversion to a 002Rack + API A2D system - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adding external D > A conversion to a 002Rack + API A2D system
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Adding external D > A conversion to a 002Rack + API A2D system

I have a Digi 002 Rack system, coupled with an API A2D unit. When tracking I use the digital outs (SPDIF) from the A2D into SPDIF in on the 002, and I clock the 002 to the A2D by selecting "clock source = SPDIF" in PTLE Setup>Hardware page. When mixing I set "clock source" back to internal (as advised by Digi).

This works great as is, however I want to add some external D>A conversion to the system. I'm looking at a Lavry DA10 or a Apogee Mini DAC.

I'm not savvy re: clocking these multiple sources together. Am I right in thinking that the external D>A converter needs to be clocked to the rest of the chain? I've read that a clock signal is embedded in the digital data stream, therefore I'm thinking that, when monitoring through the D>A while tracking for example, that everything will be clocked to the A2D if the "clock source" setting is set to SPDIF. Right? If so, how does this happen? I don't recall seeing an option in the software for clocking an external D>A device.

And when mixing, should I continue to use the 002Rack's internal clock, even though I'm monitoring via the external D>A?

Anything else I need to know?

thumbsup
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I've kind of got a similar setup.

I run a 002, Rosetta 200, and a DAC-1 that feeds my monitors.

I use the clock in the rosetta as my master clock with the S/PDIF cables.

My 002 S/PDIF out runs to my Masterlink which i print my mixes too and also splits the digital signal. The AES out goes to the DAC-1 and then to my monitors and the S/PDIF out goes to the Rosetta. The Rosetta out goes into my Digi 002 and carries the clock source. This allows me to use the Rosetta as my D/A conversion for printing anything with my outboard gear and then back in the Rosetta's A/D while still monitoring through the DAC-1.

All of my other DIGI I/O i use for my outboard that is consitent throughout the entire mixing process (FX, Compression, EQ, Buss Comp, etc...)

I like this system and it's very flexible.

PS. I also had my 002 modded by Black Lion Audio and i highly recommend it.

God Bless,
Nick
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Thanks Nick.

Soooo, if I've got this right: if I define my clock source in 'Tools as external (say SPDIF), then the clock signal from the external A>D converter is passed through to the 002Rack (along with the digitized audio) via the SPDIF connector, locking the 002 to the external A>D's clock in the process. The external A>D's clock signal then exits the 002Rack via the SPDIF out cable that connects the 002Rack to the external D>A converter, assuming the external D>A converter will accept an external clock source. Therefore everything in the chain is clocked to the A>D unit's clock??

How am I doing so far? Or should I throw out that brown acid after all?
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
As far as I know the external A/D S/PDIF cable carries the clock source and audio to the 002, however, the S/PDIF out of the 002 to the external D/A just carries audio when the 002 clock is set to "EXTERNAL S/PDIF"

There is no need to send a clock signal back to the master clock device.

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't think it needs it because it is sharing the master clock with the A/D side of the API.

I would call API if you're curious though. They are really easy to get a hold of and very helpful.
๐Ÿ“ Reply