Quantcast
Epiphone Valve Jr. Tube Questions - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Epiphone Valve Jr. Tube Questions
Old 23rd January 2009
Deleted 2848499
Epiphone Valve Jr. Tube Questions

I try to come up with new projects every once in a while, and my latest is an Epiphone Valve Jr. I want to Mod the head, and give this thing a few tweaks to better my situation. I write folksy, americana style music, and noticed that it doesn't have much headroom before breaking up and being overdriven. By the time I get to 11:00 on the gain knob, it is noticeable, and by 2:00, its really cranking. I understand the desire for this sound, but I was wondering what I could do to get a more Clean, Jazzy sound?

My thoughts are probably opposite of most here and about the net, but I purchased this amp with intentions of cleaning it up! Should I think about getting tubes of less gain addition? I have read some place if you swap to a 12AT7 over the stock tubes, you will have that cleaner sound, more head room with about a 40% drop in gain?? Or is it the power tube that I should worry about? I don't know much about tubes, is there anything else I could do? I would also like to eliminate the noticeable Hiss, so I can mic this thing up.

I have read about the Mercury Mod, and others, but I don't want to spend as much as the amp costs...or is that inevitable?? Any knowledge about this stuff would help.
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't know much about it, but I think if you put in a preamp tube with less gain, you will be able to turn the knob up further without it distorting, but it will also be not as loud, so that doesn't really help. Maybe the solution is somewhere else..
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I moded the EVJ head about two years ago, with the same intention, to clean it up and better its sound quality.

I don´t know what mod you have done, but this is how I went about...

The first thing I did was (and your on the right track), to swap the pre amp tube with a TAD (Tube Amp Doctor) 12AT7, this will clean it up and add (not much) some headroom. For the price of a tube, I also swaped the power amp tube with TAD EL84-CZ. There´s no biasing with just one power amp, pre amp tube, so that´s an easy one. Also there´s a voltage diffuser (what ever it´s called) somewhere in the circut, so you don´t need to worry about power draining caps before working on the unit.

The next thing I did was, swap the output transformer with a bigger Hammond 125ESE trany. I also had to swap a cuple of input resistors to level out voltage for the new trany, can´t remeber which one´s right now. This, aside from cleaning up, it gave it a better overall sound quality. Much more usable, but I still think that it´s caracter is still "fat" gain. Still, the EVJ gained alot of quality and headroom from this mod. Maybe less headroom then quality, but still a good move.

You can hear me here...
YouTube - Epiphone Valve Junior Clean

The EVJ and the mod is what got me back to playing guitar so don´t judge my rusty playing. Also bare in mind, that it´s a cam mic and YouTube quality.

Good care
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Deleted 2848499
Thanks guys. apreciate it. Getting this amp up to speed would be thumbsup I'll take your advice about those tubes, and see what happens. by the way, sounded big and fat on youtube. Sold me on your mod.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Do the Bitmo Trio mod. It's only about $45, it's not hard to do, and it vastly improves the amp. You can replace the tubes as well if you want. The Bitmo mod will make way more difference though.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Try using it with more modern *voiced speakers* or, if you come across one and old Hiwatt Fane loaded 2 x12... there's quite a bit more loud clean headroom through something like a G80 than some old style green backs...
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon ➡️
Try using it with more modern *voiced speakers* or, if you come across one and old Hiwatt Fane loaded 2 x12... there's quite a bit more loud clean headroom through something like a G80 than some old style green backs...
I agree...

I must add that the speaker cab that I used in YouTube is a cheap 2x12 Harley Benton cab. This mentioned cab, did sound sweet with a Warwick bass into the EVJ, sounding a fat natural compresion.

Aim sure as above that with a better modern speaker you could get better headroom as said.

BTW, I got all my modding help and advice from the nice folks at the Epiphone Forum...
Epiphone Amps & Accessories - Epiphone Forums

Good luck and have fun!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…