Quantcast
How many engineers would rather track to tape? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How many engineers would rather track to tape?
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use tape like a plug-in. It's nice to spit out drum tracks to 2" at 30ips and bring them back in to PT for the mix. Why would I want to track them on tape? The sound of the conversion is negligible at best, and you retain the sound of tape.

The only other time tape would be used, is during mastering.

I guess I see tape as being more of an "effect" these days, rather than a recording medium. Digital is a 1000x more efficient work flow.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier ➑️
Forget tracking ..I quit buying new music because of the way it sounds. It's over.
'
IDIOT

fuuck
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
tape works !
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm not ashamed to admit that I like the sound of digital recording better than analog recording.

That said I DO get to put a ton of cream of the crop analog goodies in front of the converters. But yeah I'm not using the Studer anymore unless someone specifically asks for it and is willing to pay for the tape.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm another one who would rather track to tape. I have had albums that I tracked to digital and later wished they were tracked to tape. Tape is more pleasing to my ears.
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Absolutely.
2" 16 track with the DAW recording as well, then dumping the tape to PT.
Then possibly slaving other reels to the pooter for overdubs and dumping them to digital as they filled up.

That would be my "money no object" set-up just for the glorious sound of 2" 16 track. Certainly not the most convenient solution, but man I'd love to hear it.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I Like da smell of a fresh reel of Tape. Gt.
Han
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've just bought 100 (new) reels of 2" tape. For you tape haters: try a good aligned machine next time, or did you ever record to tape anyway?

Maintenance of tape machines? Only aligning every now and then, it always works and if there's a piece of gear I can rely on it's my Otari MX80.

I have five DAT machines, only one is working. I have two expensive standalone CDR machines, both are broken. Today my soundcard gave up while my clients were for a mix session. Gladly I have two ITC sons and one of them had a soundcard, so after a few hours the damn computer was in workin order.

My Studer B67 always works, no doubt, my 1958 Philips PRO 50 1/4" master deck (full tubes) works, no problem. My Telefunken M10 1/4" master deck (also late 50's) works.

I simply hate all that digital crap, not because of the sound of it, the sound of digital is just a little different, I'm not saying better or worse, just different, but if there's a problem in the studio it's always something digital. I hate that, period.

dfegad
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey ➑️
What ton of maintenance?
Exactly. All of my A80s require a monthly touch up and beyond that, just keep the power clean . . .

Editing in digital wouldn't be necessary if the players actually had the song down before they walked in the door.

I work with tape 100% of the time and it always sounds just like it was meant to.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I always track to tape by preference . . . though I also have ProTools HD2 Accel. Actually, I have not even turned PT on in 3 months. I only used it then because I HAD to (if you know what I mean). My 2" machine takes hardly any maintenance other then the obvious set ups / head cleaning etc. I have had it many years and always smile to myself when people talk about how much trouble they are to maintain. In all the many years I have had it, it has let me down once. But it was a quick fix the next day. That happened, you guessed it . . . 3 months ago.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I prefer to track through tape to digital so that I get the sound of tape and the convenience of digital (click on the links in my sig for more details). I don't think I would be happy doing it any differently.

Brad
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Put my time in with tape --no thanks.. Too costly to maintain, tape, etc. I still try to apply " tape" theories I carried over from the 70's >>meaning very little editing < using Roland Daws Just not affordable/ practical in my market ...

Tape is still far better quality to my ears , though. Still have a cassette in my car .....
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
deja vu
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by china jam ➑️
IDIOT

fuuck
You're frustrated cause you can't hear. Sorry, can't help you there. But your other problem ..you need to get the dictionary out and look up the word "tact".
'
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I certainly would.

I think any Eng that's worked extensively with both mediums would prefer tape.

Guys that havnt worked with tape, and are more comfortable with Digital will probably prefer digital, but remember, we didnt get away from tape because digital sounded better.

Digital is more convenient, less maintenence, and more flexible, with more editing capabilities, but superior sound quality is NOT one of digital's advantages over tape. Never will be.

SLO
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Forget tracking ..I quit buying new music because of the way it sounds. It's over.
'
Quote:
IDIOT

fuuck
Quote:
You're frustrated cause you can't hear. Sorry, can't help you there. But your other problem ..you need to get the dictionary out and look up the word "tact".
'
No! tutt

You are a huge tool because you let things other than "the music" decide which "music" you buy.

I have a vinyl copy of Zeppelin 4 that is the most beaten and abused record I have ever seen... super noisey, super poppy (from years and years of "love") and despite the diminished "sound quality" the MUSIC STILL ROCKS!

Britney Spears recorded straight to tape, mixed on a neve, and mastered from 1/4inch to vinyl would probably still not tickle your fancy.

Some people like the sound of tape, some people don't care, some people don't like the sound of tape.... IT IS DEBATABLE.... hence every third ****ing thread on GS.

A lot of people enjoy it. Thats cool. More power to em.

Rock on my brotha's!
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Nope

Maybe for certain applications... but would never think to switch overall.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cheers Mayor999.

Vernier, how about you not condemn what that the rest of us are doing because we don't share in your belief that "[music] is over"?

Agreed, my last post did suffer from a screaming disregard of tact - as too will this one, you miserable sod!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO-MAN ➑️
I certainly would.

I think any Eng that's worked extensively with both mediums would prefer tape.

Guys that havnt worked with tape, and are more comfortable with Digital will probably prefer digital, but remember, we didnt get away from tape because digital sounded better.

Digital is more convenient, less maintenence, and more flexible, with more editing capabilities, but superior sound quality is NOT one of digital's advantages over tape. Never will be.

SLO
I've found tape to be less maintenance by far.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm ➑️
Yes, if its the kind of thing where we will need to do editing involving several playlists.
Why not just transfer to several playlists?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy ➑️
This reads like a netflix commercial. heh

What is the square root of orange? - Turquoise!
How many engineers would rather track to tape? - All of them except 14.06582%

lol

i guess that puts me in the 14.06582%

but i'm the wrong engineer to ask - 'cause i'd rather not track at all...

.....ESPECIALLY BANDS .....( god help me )

lol

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i track on tape all the time...and am of the opinion that tape isn't necessarily the big factor of what i like about the sound - it's that converters sound bad.

people always A/B converters...but try A/B'ing a converter to NO converter once....you'll do what i did- build an all analog studio. console->2" 24 track->1/4" 2 track->ship to mastering!

my favorite thing to record without a converter is vocals. yum.

maintenance?
rent a studio that has maintained machines!
updating computer software/hardware isn't maintenance intensive? yea right!

tape is expensive? i have 50+ reels of good, used tape that i let clients use FOR FREE!

can't punch in? that's what engineers are supposed to be able to do! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han ➑️
For you tape haters: try a good aligned machine next time, or did you ever record to tape anyway?
great point Han. makes me want to start a poll.

when was the last time you cut on tape?
how many people have never cut on tape?

-chris mara
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tape

Quote:
Cheers Mayor999.

Vernier, how about you not condemn what that the rest of us are doing because we don't share in your belief that "[music] is over"?

Agreed, my last post did suffer from a screaming disregard of tact - as too will this one, you miserable sod!
Hey China

So you want to pick on Vernier, maybe you should clean the wax out of your ears. Let me put it to you this way. EVERYBODY agrees analog sounds better, but most cannot affort it! As a matter of fact, if PT's was totally analog and provided all the features of its digital platform, EVERYONE would perfer it.... Don't bash the source>>>> Your not expercienced enough...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAngelo ➑️
Hey China

So you want to pick on Vernier, maybe you should clean the wax out of your ears. Let me put it to you this way. EVERYBODY agrees analog sounds better, but most cannot affort it! As a matter of fact, if PT's was totally analog and provided all the features of its digital platform, EVERYONE would perfer it.... Don't bash the source>>>> Your not expercienced enough...
Whats with the assumption of his experience? You have no idea who he/she is.

I do not agree that tape sounds better. To me its just a different flavor at my disposal. Maybe with a little more experience under YOUR belt you will realize its about the source, not the storage medium.

I regularly use/calibrate/fix/lockup 2 Studar A827's, a few different sony machines, an Otari + whatever else I end up running into around these parts and trust me they don't sound better they sound different.

So get it through your thick skulls:

TAPE DOES NOT SOUND "BETTER" IT SOUNDS "DIFFERENT" WHICH IS PLEASING TO MANY PEOPLE BUT NOT ALL PEOPLE.

I personally do not like it for a great many things.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
^^^^^^
Lives for gear

12 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i like both,,, but i'd rather track live to tape if possible... definitely better..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor999 ➑️
Whats with the assumption of his experience? You have no idea who he/she is.

I do not agree that tape sounds better. To me its just a different flavor at my disposal. Maybe with a little more experience under YOUR belt you will realize its about the source, not the storage medium.

I regularly use/calibrate/fix/lockup 2 Studar A827's, a few different sony machines, an Otari + whatever else I end up running into around these parts and trust me they don't sound better they sound different.

So get it through your thick skulls:

TAPE DOES NOT SOUND "BETTER" IT SOUNDS "DIFFERENT" WHICH IS PLEASING TO MANY PEOPLE BUT NOT ALL PEOPLE.

I personally do not like it for a great many things.
If 1% of the world's population prefers eating **** to caviar, does that mean caviar is just "different" compared to ****? Does this mean an API is just "different" from a Wackie? Does this mean Denise Richards just looks "different" from your local 53 year old librarian?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by basho ➑️
If 1% of the world's population prefers eating **** to caviar, does that mean caviar is just "different" compared to ****? Does this mean an API is just "different" from a Wackie? Does this mean Denise Richards just looks "different" from your local 53 year old librarian?
Are you kidding? You are really saying that the storage medium that is digital is **** compared to the storage medium that is tape being caviar?

Its just a way to store information... it makes zero difference in my (and the vast majority of people's) enjoyment of the music as a listener. As an engineer it is but ONE way of MILLIONS to shape the sound in the direction of which the band/producer/I want it to go.

How ****ing stupid do people have to be to not understand this?

Just because you like pizza doesn't mean everyone does.
Just because you like beer doesn't mean everyone does.

Its a preference.

The OP has phrased the question perfectly.... would you RATHER track to tape or digital? And a large amount of people have said they would RATHER do tape... and some (including me) would RATHER do digital.

Put on your big boy pants and realize not everyone has to agree with you.

Maybe all the tape-is-the-only-way guys can get together and circle jerk over an Otari.... will that finally make them see that everyone's penis is small compared to Les Paul's?
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by basho ➑️
Yes. Get over it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i like tape for the same reasons many people here do.

but very importantly, and let's not forget, that tape makes musicians up their game. and engineers too. no laziness is tolerated on either part. when working on tape, we all have to rise to the occasion. yes, it's true that not all bands/artists are capable of this. but with a good room and a good artist, tape makes everyone decide and commit and move faster ultimately, in my opinion.

if you are working with a bad artist in a crappy room, i'm sorry. i do it too. we all wish we don't have to, but not every project is a winner.

pick your format based on whats best for the situation. know the strengths and weaknesses of both mediums. and then rock on.
πŸ“ Reply