Quantcast
Is SM7 worth it? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is SM7 worth it?
Old 22nd January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Is SM7 worth it?

I am in the middle of recording a new album and have been using an EV N/D767a for recording but have heard great things about the SM7 and was considering upgrading.

My question: Will the sound quality from a SM7 be much improved from the EV and do you think it would be worth it to upgrade?

Thanks!
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
sm7 is one mic i would be happy cutting ANYTHING with.

needs a fair amount of clean gain...but its a great "cover most bases" kind of mic.

vocals.
snare.
kick.
hi hat.
guitars.
acoustics.
rooms.
etc.etc.

cheers,

jchristopherhughes
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I only used a 767 onstage. Nice mic but I don't believe it's in the same league as the SM7. Just get the SM7 and you'll be happy. On the last session we used it on lead vocals,bass cab and outside the kick drum. It's a killer mic and industry standard........
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I bought a sm7 earlier this year, and can now say you can never go wrong with one. possibly my favorite mic
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Love the SM7. I will never forget listening to Lynn Fuston's mic CD. Condenser after condenser, some good, some great. Then I heard That Sound. It really captured my imagination, and it has been a favorite of mine ever since. I had used SM7's before, but that really highlighted it for me and made me realize what it was.

I thought I was the only one who knew. Surprise!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
...is the SM7 worth it?...Nope...it's worth 3 or 4 times it!...maybe 5...get one and join the many who have learned it's worth...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The SM7B is one of my three favorite mics that I own. Like J I feel that I could use it on anything. It actually got a lot of action during the tracking of my band's album. My other favorite do-anything mics are:

R121
SM57 with TAB Funkenwerk transformer.

You won't regret owning an SM7.

Brad
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you guys must mostly do rock stuff because I found it quite dark for pop/ hip hop stuff.
great mic none less but not the holy grr... in my book for rap , R&B and Pop
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sm7's rule..get one now
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Absolutely. A desert island mic. Like everyone else has said, Great on almost anything, and worth way more than its price tag. It does have a low output, so it's best when used with a quiet high gain pre. Go buy one!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice ➑️
you guys must mostly do rock stuff because I found it quite dark for pop/ hip hop stuff.
great mic none less but not the holy grr... in my book for rap , R&B and Pop
Yeah rock. Just track with some EQ and you're golden. It takes it like a champ. +2 @12k on a 1073 is quite nice.

Brad
can't wait to get one! yes
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wowsers, super hype alert!!

The sm7 is a really cool mic. A must have.
Like an SM57 a bit, but better in many ways... and being thus, yes... it's one of the most versatile mics you can buy, probably...

But that being said, it certainly isn't the end-all-be-all either.
There are some voices I LOOOVE it on, and others that it just sounds rather boring on... (mine included)

Also, it's so dead sounding compared to a condenser that sometimes it's tough to get a great performance out of someone who is used to hearing his/her vocal in a live, setting with a more lively room, etc.

The thing is DRY AND IMMEDIATE.

So yes, it's great...
but it's great at doing what it does.
Sing through one and see if you love your voice through it...
or just pick it up with the knowledge that it really is super versatile.

If you're working on a record that is "dry and immediate" it's going to be damn hard to beat out the SM7 at any price point...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
bought an sm7 last week and i won't be retuning it. it's really great on my deluxe reverb amp and vocals. needs very little to no e.q. one of my favorite mics now.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have the older SM7 not the B version. I like it quite a bit. It is my best dynamic if you don't count ribbons. It's a very tough mic. Mine arrived in a padded envelope off of ebay. It has taken falls from pretty high up. High enough to bounce.

I think that some of the love people have for this mic is that it is a really good dynamic mic. And dynamic mics (ribbons included this time) are really great for project studios or live or whatever. In my case it is very often a good thing to hear less of my room sound. HA.

The thing that I noticed about it is that it is pretty forgiving of cheap preamps as long as it has enough gain. The difference between it on a trident preamp and an API is pretty slight. The difference between those preamps for a sm57 is much more apparent. So that is another thing that it has going for it. Also it takes eq as good as a ribbon.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've got a SM7b coming tomorrow that I just bought. I'm excited and can't wait to put it through its paces.

From what everybody tells me you can't go wrong.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's definitely a great mic but I would not agree its for everything*- try recording whispery vocals with it or some breathy vocs - not a best choice*– but for rap, and rock - its a standard. I use mine with Great River pre. Very good combo. Besides it looks so bad –*like a gun or hand granade or something – its so black and meann

cheers

Marty
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't know the other mic so I cannot comment on if it's an upgrade or not. But Sm7b is a great mic. You won't regret having it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The sm7 is a superb mic for sure...best tom mic I have ever heard. Also a great bass and vocals mic. I don't like it on guitar amps though...too clean for that application IMHO.

Where it REALLY shines though is for live vocals!! I use it all the time and while it is physically big and somewhat annoying at first, the sound if far better, smoother, than any live vocal mic out there.
in the studio, I have some condensors I like better for vocals.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
for me, i usually prefer the low cut and the presence boost for vox... am i alone?

it's way too muffled otherwise
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith ➑️
for me, i usually prefer the low cut and the presence boost for vox... am i alone?

it's way too muffled otherwise
I did a session last week with the SM7 on the lead male vocalist, old-time music. The lead male vocalist has a good, deep voice. After the first take, on playback, the group thought his vocal was muddy. I simply switched on the high-pass/bass roll off, and they loved it.

t
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
ANSWER: Yesssssssssssssss
I love this mic more than I love myself.

TT
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
yup
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why so much hype? It's a good utility mic, but it's not a ****ing magic wand for Chrissake. If it wasn't for the "Thriller" story there would be a lot less fetish-sizing over this. Things like the 441 and M88 are probably even more useful but they don't get half the orgasmic cheerleading this mic gets.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love the 441 and the M88, and I own both of them. They are terrific mics.

What the SM7 has that tends to make people goofy over it is that on the right source it has an uncanny knack for grabbing the core of the sound without a lot of extraneous distractions. Some mics will deliver more detail, other mics will be better at delivering the top octave of air. The SM7 just has a "rightness" to it for a lot of sources, especially voices, and especially in a rock, pop/rock, country/rock kind of context. Not all sources, not all voices, but enough to really matter. IMHO the 441 and 88 are great mics and I love them too, but they don't quite have that same knack.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern ➑️
bought an sm7 last week and i won't be retuning it. it's really great on my deluxe reverb amp and vocals. needs very little to no e.q. one of my favorite mics now.
Now try an AEA R84 with that SM7.

Telecaster to Deluxe Reverb
SM7 on the grill slightly off axis - R84 about 4' back center of cone
Instant TeleDeluxe

To the OP

It is a great mic. You could put $350 into a crap condensor or into a great SM7. Are there better mics? Well for some things yes. But this is a very good mic for a lot of things and at it's price it is a real bargin.

Someone said it's not for Pop vocals. I guess MJ isn't pop. A lot of his stuff was sung into an SM7.

Will
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPhaul ➑️
Now try an AEA R84 with that SM7.

Telecaster to Deluxe Reverb
SM7 on the grill slightly off axis - R84 about 4' back center of cone
Instant Tele delux
Will
i'd love to try that if i could rent one before i spend $900
i play my strat more than the tele and i use the sm7 as you said,off axis and a 4033 about 3 feet back and mix that in about 30%. that's working pretty good too. i do need a good ribon mic though.heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
its great and cheap! no-brainer!
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just recorded a drum track with an SM7 on the kick and it sounds REALLY goodheh
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It is certainly a great tool to have, if you have one, you will find many uses for it.
πŸ“ Reply