Quantcast
Is SM7 worth it? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is SM7 worth it?
Old 6th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The SM7 sounds great on everything. For the price it is a must have. Needs good clean gain preamp. And if not impressed start smacking it with EQ. Takes it like a champ. Try that with a Chinese condenser and your in brittle heaven.

And yeah most say to leave the switches flat. But that is not always the case. I use mine with the thinner pop screen on. Used to the sound that delivers. And boost a little 10 to 12k often on voices.

Sits great in any mix even if you solo it and are not so impressed. Hard to explain. Way worth the money. But not as your first or only mic.

John
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
More love for the SM7b here...Bass guitar, Vocals, Snare mic, Guitar...it finds itself all over the place!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
yes exactly! plus it seems to me eq friendly, you can tweak best out of it,
love it with Great River and SSL Eq. some vocals sound amazing with it, well rounded, full with great texture, and thickness.

makes you happy when you squeeze maximum out of its abilities.

some say its dark, I would not say, i d quote it has soul, and even working with different mics this sorts out lots of complications, where one would say "I d never expect to get this out of it.."

Id think it can fit some vocs much better than 5times more expensive condenser mics..sometimes, but not unusually.

it needs a good pre and huge gain than one gets a gift..

+ laying 8 for it.
brgds
Old 7th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Things to like about the SM7:

1. It can put out the 'bigness' of a LDC and sound good in a sh*tty room. (i.e. a gnat fart from 20 feet away is not going to ruin the perfect mouth harp solo you happened to capture)

2. It's cheap (relative to high end LDC's).

3. It is fairly source independent....meaning it sounds 'good to great' on just about any source.

Things to not like about the SM7:

1. It is good enough to make you question: (if this cheap dynamic sounds THIS good, imagine what a U47 will do for my recordings!) So it INSPIRES mic lust. (dammit)

2. It DOES need a lot of quality gain. I don't know if this really qualifies as a negative, but it might to someone.

3. There exists the possibility Internet Forums like GEARSLUTZ will convince Shure they could charge 3x for this mic....and then it won't be the steal it is.

so shuddup all of you! (and me)

I use an SM7 through a Vintech X73 / MC77 / Apogee chain and it sounds beautifiliciousocity great.

PS. I run it flat. No switches engaged and no EQ from the X73

Last edited by Kamurah; 7th March 2009 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: Liquor made me forget details I was intending to include
Old 7th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
well said
📝 Reply