Quantcast
Is SM7 worth it? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is SM7 worth it?
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
free sm7

Hi ander120 I was going to post it in the More free stuff post but if you are willing to pay the postage from UK, then my beatup SM7 is yours.

|-<>-|

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Geez, SM7 is probably the most versatile and best sounding mic I own. I can't think of a better dynamic mic and it also beats out alot of condensers.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by |-<>-| ➡️
Hi ander120 I was going to post it in the More free stuff post but if you are willing to pay the postage from UK, then my beatup SM7 is yours.

|-<>-|

That is awesome.

I'm gonna make a post asking whether a SSL 4000 is worth it and see if I get the same response!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Shure SM7B like new

thought this was funny.

Brand new, used once by ex boyfriend who can't sing worth ****. Comes with all boxes, documentation, receipt from Tom Lee. Purchased last month.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovinksy ➡️
Shure SM7B like new

thought this was funny.

Brand new, used once by ex boyfriend who can't sing worth ****. Comes with all boxes, documentation, receipt from Tom Lee. Purchased last month.
what's even funnier is you can buy a new one in canada for $379
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
really? Where? everywhere i see is $450+ (Canadian).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovinksy ➡️
really? Where? everywhere i see is $450+ (Canadian).
i bought one at wenthworth music in kelona b.c. last week.
they have gone up though, a couple of months ago they were $359
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynyrd ➡️
It is certainly a great tool to have, if you have one, you will find many uses for it.
Agreed - though unlike some others here, I would *not* want it as my only mic.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I got one new, did not care for it, got a RE20 instead....love it.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, but I just picked up a Sm7 B, using it with my GTQ 2. I know you need a lot of gain to run this thing but I'm on -80 here (pretty much maxed out) but what is worse is I'm experiencing significant noise (a high-pitched buzz at 1-4 khz). It's not the cables or preamp and all my other mics sound good (condensers and dynamics).

It shouldn't be making this much noise, right! It shouldn't be noiser than an SM57, right? SM7 owners please pitch in.
Thanks!
/Chris
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris900 ➡️
Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, but I just picked up a Sm7 B, using it with my GTQ 2. I know you need a lot of gain to run this thing but I'm on -80 here (pretty much maxed out) but what is worse is I'm experiencing significant noise (a high-pitched buzz at 1-4 khz). It's not the cables or preamp and all my other mics sound good (condensers and dynamics).

It shouldn't be making this much noise, right! It shouldn't be noiser than an SM57, right? SM7 owners please pitch in.
Thanks!
/Chris
Sounds like it has a problem. The SM7 does need a lot of gain but mine has ZERO noise. That amount of gain also sounds funny unless you're recording a very quite source. I just tracked guitar with mine, Tele into Deluxe Reverb w/ volume at 6.5. The API pre was at about 12:00 and the output was hot enough that I used a Shure inline pad after the pre to keep from clipping the converter. And again ZERO noise.

Will
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPhaul ➡️
Sounds like it has a problem. The SM7 does need a lot of gain but mine has ZERO noise. That amount of gain also sounds funny unless you're recording a very quite source. I just tracked guitar with mine, Tele into Deluxe Reverb w/ volume at 6.5. The API pre was at about 12:00 and the output was hot enough that I used a Shure inline pad after the pre to keep from clipping the converter. And again ZERO noise.

Will
Thanks man, just as I figured, something's wrong with the mic. I'm returning it Monday.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Thanks!
/Chris
mine is dead quiet, just like a 57 or 58. even with the stock onyx pre's in my 1200f wich need to be at about 2 oclock as compared to about 11 or 12 oclock with a 57..
something's not right there.
do you have another pre you can try?
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern ➡️
mine is dead quiet, just like a 57 or 58. even with the stock onyx pre's in my 1200f wich need to be at about 2 oclock as compared to about 11 or 12 oclock with a 57..
something's not right there.
do you have another pre you can try?
Yep, I've got several: 1073, Rupert Neve 5032, but since all other mics (U87, Telefunken Ela M 12, Akg 414, Shure Sm 57) sound good with the GTQ2 so should the Sm7, right?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yep, I've got several: 1073, Rupert Neve 5032, but since all other mics (U87, Telefunken Ela M 12, Akg 414, Shure Sm 57) sound good with the GTQ2 so should the Sm7, right?
right, it's gotta be the mic.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith ➡️
for me, i usually prefer the low cut and the presence boost for vox... am i alone?

it's way too muffled otherwise

Nope, not alone!!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
"Is SM7 worth it?"

Yes. Best value on a do-it-all microphone, period.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by basho ➡️
Why so much hype? It's a good utility mic, but it's not a ****ing magic wand for Chrissake. If it wasn't for the "Thriller" story there would be a lot less fetish-sizing over this. Things like the 441 and M88 are probably even more useful but they don't get half the orgasmic cheerleading this mic gets.
LOL
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
hmmmm...

Where does one find this "orgasmic cheerleading" that you speaketh of? Is there a website...perhaps a national competition...and yes i felt creepier as a typed this!

Last edited by britdick; 24th January 2009 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: abc
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by britdick ➡️
Where does one find this "orgasmic cheerleading" that you speaketh of?
For starters, try posts 2 to 23 of this thread. But don't stop there, to a search for SM7 and you'll find cheerleading aplenty...
Quote:
Is there a website...
Indeed there are several - and this is undoubtedly one of them...
Quote:
perhaps a national competition...
No, no - it's an international competition... heh
Quote:
and yes i felt creepier as a typed this!
Creepier? Really? Wow! Sorry to hear that.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The S&M7b

What are the most frequently chosen settings for the fiddly little bastard switches at the back?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
anyone?

bizzlizzluuuuurmp!
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Everything already said here. When got it to work first time - vocals only - I was a bit scared - it looked like small land mine. Pop screen off. Pop up filter on. I used to set it flat as it is. Happiness.

Friends with TLM 103 laughed to me. Week after heard it asked to borrow. Besides - real troubleshooter I thinkheh.Your room is crazy? - its solution. Singer crazy ? - its solution. This and that...with GR really nice, finally I left it for something different, /cant say better/ but its the thing ill never give away.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
only had mine a couple of weeks but so far i like it with the hi pass on and the mid bump on but iv'e only tried it on my guitar cab and my own vocals.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What are the most frequently chosen settings for the fiddly little bastard switches at the back?
for vocals, Presence boost on and High pass Filter (roll off) ON
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sorry for having not read the whole thread, but i love my sm7 on about anything.

kick drums,metal vocalists, snare top.
i love it on a bass cab with a slight distortion for a certain cut-through sound.
also on guitar amps with a more "satriani" vibe or a dirtier/clean sound.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
SM7s rock, but yeah, they need plenty of gain.

someone mentioned the RE20 though, and if I could have one, I'd probably go the RE20 first.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Can´t go wrong......

It seems you can´t go wrong with a SM7, it always workes out for me.
(wish i had a couple of those, still i´m happy to have one)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It *really* depends what you're recording.

For example, you might benefit from using the high pass option if you're recording vocals, but if you use the sm7 on kick, you're unlikely to want that.

You would probably avoid the presence boost on a brass section, but you might want it on kick - and maybe on vocals, depending on the voice (some vocalists start to sound shrill quickly in this region).

Not the answer you were looking for, but maybe if you said more about the application you have in mind, some more useful suggestions could be made...
Old 6th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
went crazy and ordered second SM7. /there is not enough : ))/
📝 Reply