Quantcast
Drum Controllers--Which pad for which drum? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drum Controllers--Which pad for which drum?
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Drum Controllers--Which pad for which drum?

I do so hate to ask the dumb questions, but here we go.

I get the fact that most 16-pad controllers are so flexibile you can put any sound anywhere, work to your preference, etc.

But I wonder if there is any kind of more-or-less standard people have found that work best for placing kick, snare, hi-hat, etc.?

Of course, I'm very interested in people's unique viewpoints, but I'm also really interested to know if there is or has ever been any kind of standard placement I could use as a starting point.

Thanks!
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
(Continuing and bumping...)

It just seems odd that in all of music this is the only noisemaker I've seen where there's no consistency--it's as if you'd buy a set of drums and swap out where the toms, cymbals, and snare normally go, and then change them all around again a few songs later.

The controller I have, a PadKontrol, uses "scenes" for various software packs, but they don't seem to be internally consistent. I would think you would want to have your kick on the same pad when you use Battery as you would Guru, or a standard GM set, but that doesn't seem to be quite the case.

So, just as the standard drum kit evolved more or less into what it looks like today, I've wondered if there is a "standard" controller layout that over time has proven to more useful.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Not much consistency, I agree, but usually the hat is near the centre and to the right, the kick and snare near the centre to the left (typically snare above kick), with toms and cymbals arranged further out.

But I've seen plenty of exceptions.
๐Ÿ“ Reply