Quantcast
Omphey compressor for bass and drums bus? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Omphey compressor for bass and drums bus?
Old 22nd January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Omphey compressor for bass and drums bus?

Hi,

My first post. I have browsed the forums on this topic and found quite a lot, but I still feel somewhat perplexed. Maybe someone can help me out.

I've just started rebuilding my studio and are at the point where I have to decide what I should use for my drum and bass bus package (100% electronic stuff). Earlier I used a dbx 1066 for this purpose, which I favoured because of it's crunchy dirtyness - even though I never really liked it it's appetite for the bass.

But as I have raised the bar in other areas in the studio I feel the 1066 to be to dull and fatigued - even though I still like it's crunch. What to replace it with? Compounder, nice with the bass filterbypassthingie - but does it crunch? Also, from what I've read around here people like the Drawmer 1968 ME, Alan Smart C2 and the API 2500. The 1968 seems nice with it's BIG switch, but I've never really liked tube compressors, too bloaty and smooth for my taste. So, the API 2500 and the C2 - both seems to crunch, but do they preserve preserve bass?

Thanks

Magnus
📝 Reply