External convertrs + multiple 8/8 soundcards - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
External convertrs + multiple 8/8 soundcards
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Addict

30 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
External convertrs + multiple 8/8 soundcards

Anyone help me think this through? Clock and converter issues are a bit opaque for me...

I am running a hybrid OTB mixing situation. I've got two Delta 1010s feeding my Soundcraft Delta 200 mixer, which then feeds a set on inputs on the 1010. (Now, lest this topic should get sidetracked, I understand that OTB mixing might not be the best route with the converters I've got presently; it was really just more of an experiment to see if I like it before saving for something like an Aurora, which would obviously solve all problems on earth for everyone...)

I am thinking I might want to add one class(ier) set of A/D converters for two purposes--tracking in the home demo situation, and then using it for that final conversion in my OTB circuit. I've thought about the Black Lion, the Mytek, even the Kurzweil Rumour and Mangler, the converters on which seem to get favorable reviews.

Here's my noob question: My 2 Delta 1010s are synced via S/PDIF. If I were to take the S/PDIF out of, say, the Black Lion Sparrow, run it into the S/PDIF in on Delta 1010 #1, select "External clock" in the software of both Delta 1010s, should both 1010s then sync to the Sparrow? I.e., would the Sync "pass through" Delta 1010 #1 to #2? Which raises another issue--using multiple Delta 1010s requires you to designate a master....hmmmm.

TIA for any clarity...
📝 Reply