Quantcast
What are you using as a preamp for powered monitors? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What are you using as a preamp for powered monitors?
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What are you using as a preamp for powered monitors?

Hi All
Was looking at weak links in my signal chain and the mixer I use to route the daw outputs to my powered monitors may not be transparent enough. I need more than just a passive knob though because I route to headphone amps, and to alternate main mix monitor sends. Currently using a small behringer eurorack mixer, and although I think behringer is way below pro quality this sounds about as good as an aphex tube preamp I was using prior.
Any suggestions for an upgrade, I was thinking maybe a discrete circuit vintage stereo preamp such as Hafler or MacIntosh? What else are my options? Money is an issue.
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hiya

I am using a SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2 all passive controller in between the DA and the monitors.

Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Yordan ➑️
Hiya

I am using a SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2 all passive controller in between the DA and the monitors.

loving your Bob Katz quote
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
you DO NOT want to use a mic preamp before your monitors. certainly not an aphex tube pre OR any kind of discrete circuit vintage stereo preamp. these things will colour your sound and you want the utmost possible transparency in your monitoring chain.

the PreSonus Central Station has a fairly transparent main monitor path because of it's totally passive circuit. it also has great routing for your headphone feeds, etc.

Coleman Audio also make great units that are very transparent sounding.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thanks DR
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
bump
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
so..., really, what are you using?
I know this is mostly for ITB folks but someone must be using audio preamps into their powered monitors....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
... I don't get it. I don't think anyone else would do this... it's self-defeating to put a preamp infront of your monitors if you want more transparency
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackdude ➑️
... I don't get it. I don't think anyone else would do this... it's self-defeating to put a preamp infront of your monitors if you want more transparency
does everyone else use passive attenuation and a dedicated stereo out?
I am currently routing through a small mixer, going direct requires either passive attenuation or digital attenuation which brings the bitrate down.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2 is a stupidly good piece of gear for the money.... and like most of the best ideas... a stupidly simple one... The phones output is a bit crap, but overall, one of THE pieces of essential kit from the last 10 years, for anyone ,on less than a serious budget...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've used the Central Station. Not bad for the money. Currently have a Coleman Audio M3PH MKII passive controller. Running one set of powered monitors (NHTPro A-10s and sub) and a pair of passive Avantones (using an Ashly SRA-120 amp) through the Coleman. Also running from the Coleman to an OZ-HR-4 Headphone Amp.
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykane ➑️
I was thinking maybe a discrete circuit vintage stereo preamp such as Hafler or MacIntosh? What else are my options? Money is an issue.
See if you can find a s/h Bryston 1B.

🎧 15 years
I think it's the OP's terminology that's confusing here...a "preamp" is generally what microphones go into. He's asking what sort of monitor controller people are using.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 for in secondhand brystones
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They're speakers.

Monitors = speakers.

Did you need a preamp when you were a kid?

No.

Sorry, but I was about to post a thread that made me sound Rrrrreally dumb.

Stop it Larry! You're killing me!! heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking ➑️
They're speakers.

Monitors = speakers.

Did you need a preamp when you were a kid?

No.

Sorry, but I was about to post a thread that made me sound Rrrrreally dumb.

Stop it Larry! You're killing me!! heh
Soup-actually when I was a kid I needed a preschool, now it's a preamp. (or passive controller, apparently)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
I think it's the OP's terminology that's confusing here...a "preamp" is generally what microphones go into. He's asking what sort of monitor controller people are using.
High end audiophile systems commonly have a preamp and a power amp, where the preamp functions as a controller as well as a line amp and includes cartridge preamps for t/t inputs.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon ➑️
The SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2 is a stupidly good piece of gear for the money.... and like most of the best ideas... a stupidly simple one... The phones output is a bit crap, but overall, one of THE pieces of essential kit from the last 10 years, for anyone ,on less than a serious budget...
+1 on this
I've used this for the last year, and it has been great. The headphone amp is no grace or what not, but it's usable. I really don't think too much cash should be spent on a headphone amp anyways, when you should be doing any serious work on your monitors anyways. This monitor control is completely passive. That being said though, if I had the money, I would get a dangerous monitor st, or an avocet. This is gearslutz. Right now though, for me, (and you it sounds like) this is Budgetslutz.
ymmv, and probably does
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogo ➑️
+1 on this
I've used this for the last year, and it has been great. The headphone amp is no grace or what not, but it's usable. I really don't think too much cash should be spent on a headphone amp anyways, when you should be doing any serious work on your monitors anyways. This monitor control is completely passive. That being said though, if I had the money, I would get a dangerous monitor st, or an avocet. This is gearslutz. Right now though, for me, (and you it sounds like) this is Budgetslutz.
ymmv, and probably does
So if I was to buy an SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2, I could probably use the second input as an "in" for the small mixer which I was using as a controller, but which I will still need to use for pre-session rehearsals?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykane ➑️
So if I was to buy an SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2, I could probably use the second input as an "in" for the small mixer which I was using as a controller, but which I will still need to use for pre-session rehearsals?
not quite sure i follow...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
get a smpro or a central station and quit using that behringer
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogo ➑️
not quite sure i follow...
sorry just thinking out loud I want to merge the secondary mixer through the monitors (speakers if you are soupking) for rehearsal sessions, it wouldnt be in the signal chain for mixing.h
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMusicGrp ➑️
get a smpro or a central station and quit using that behringer
yes, the behringer is being sold to a marina for use as an anchor for very small boats,
although the path from tape in to control room out seems clean enough, I don't trust it with regard to transient response and balance at different levels, etc
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I use a Grace m902b - recently upgraded to the balanced output version.

Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➑️
I use a Grace m902b - recently upgraded to the balanced output version.
looks wonderful, I'd like balanced outs , the picture has un balanced, is the balanced version the same model number plus the letter "B"?
Old 14th October 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Powered monitors need a preamp?

Hello. Not sure where to turn here. Been awhile since I visited and I can't even find out where to post a question, only a reply to an (old) thread. I bought some KRK self-powered monitors for talkback use in my live rooms. Much to my chagrin, the signal I send them from the booth produces NO sound. I connected a mic directly into the KRK (XLR) and nothing. Same with the 1/4 in. Took to Guitar Center and they used the RCA ins to play songs on a iPod. That was nice, but no help to me at all.

So..... I take it I need to feed a signal with some boost/volume through to the KRKs before I can get sound out of them? Foolishly, I assumed self-powered meant, well self-powered. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by nickdahammer; 14th October 2016 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: more specific
πŸ“ Reply