Quantcast
UAD IBP Phase Tool Plug vs. Little Labs Hardware - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UAD IBP Phase Tool Plug vs. Little Labs Hardware
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
UAD IBP Phase Tool Plug vs. Little Labs Hardware

Anyone had a chance to actually compare these? Pro and contra etc.
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
yeah would like to get some opinions too, thanks
Old 22nd January 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcha ➡️
Anyone had a chance to actually compare these? Pro and contra etc.
You can't use the software as a re-amp, nor an instrument device. I would think, that in OUR studio, the plug would only be an addition to the hardware, and NEVER replace what the hardware can do for us in regard to instrument recording with a DI signal and microphone technique.
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I actually use my IBP more for reamping than phase alignment. When I buy the plugin it will probably replace the hardware as a phase tool...just for the convenience factor. But the IBP will still be indespensible for me as a reamp tool.

Brad
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've got the IBP Jr., which I use all the time for phase alignment. It's indispensable. The plug-in solutions I've used aren't the same to my ear.

But I confess I'm a bit of a Little Labs *****. (I use the Red-Eye and STD for re-amping, and I've a Red Cloud for whenever I need passive attenuation—like between our API and BAE preamps and the A/D.)

That said, I'd look at the new Radial Phazer, too. It seems quite cool.

But you won't run out of occasions to use the IBP Jr. Buy it.
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Have you tried the UAD emulation of the IBP though?

Brad
Old 23rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Humpty Bumpy
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan ➡️
Have you tried the UAD emulation of the IBP though?
Because of all the great feedback about this tool I purchased the UAD plugin and started experimenting with it.

For example I recorded some heavily distorted guitar with a e906 very close to the speaker and a ribbon mic about a foot away from the amp.

I applied the IBP plug to the e906 track and started to tweek, but all I got was that it sounded in a different way odd.

Maybe my expectations were too high in the first place. Do you guys use it in this manner or "just" to align mic positioning differences of less than an inch?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
hmm, why not just nudge the audio?

-
Old 24th February 2009 | Show parent
Deleted 55b0690
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJdeVillar ➡️

-
The plug does that for you too I think?

🎧 15 years
Quote:

-
not the same thing - phase alignment is not the same thing as time alignment, time alignment would work fine if it was just an impulse you're lining up - but it doesn't take account of frequency.
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Just put the two microphones in the same place.
Old 8th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

-
If you nudge the audio, the spatial sense changes. Could be bad, could be good. Think of it this way, the mics being a different distance from the source creates a predelay, that could be great or terrible depending on the sound you hear. Nudging the audio will remove the pre delay. Its something i've never found is a good idea on say, a drum room mic. Sometimes i'll nudge the drum room, but slightly closer or farther from alignment with the close mics, never really on top of them, I just do this to get the predelay perfect for the material and tempo. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not touching it is best. In any case phase aligning with the IBP will preserve the timing differences between the mics which helps create the space while helping align the phase.

On some sources you may not hear much with the IBP. For instance a mic 6 ft away from a source and another 2 inches away... You're not going to hear a world of a difference here because those mics are hearing very different things and phase isn't really an issue with them.. They're pretty much uncorrelated. On the other hand you could hear amazing differences on say, a pair of overheads if they are placed well because they're roughly the same distance from different sources..

Just my 0.02c

Russell
Old 13th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Gonna bump this. If someone could explain how this is different than for instance the Tritone Digital phase tone, it would be greatly appreciated. I just bought one of those $99 uad-1e cards to get the plate, and unfortunately the demo of the IPB is proving even more tempting.
Old 13th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
IPB is great. I'm not a professor but I think changing time-domain and changing phase-domain are not the same deal. nudging is only part of what it's doing.

So far I've mainy used it on bass amp, bass d.i. and kick in and out duty... and it's a great way to get a little more thump and focus on those applications. I just bought the UAD plug a few months ago, and it's been helpful. That being said, some set-ups are just going to sound odd. I recorded vocal, guitar with a P12, and 414 on the acoustic as well as blumlien 414's out front, and although I was able to get the p12 more in phase with the front mics, it never sounded right. You really need to have a mic on the source and the room mics farther back, or observe phase guidlines... micing an amp with a 57 on the grille and a 57 a foot back is going to sound odd no matter how much you muck with it. If you want it to sound odd... cool, otherwise having the diaphram's equal-distance or having one considerably farther back is the best solution.
Old 22nd April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I agree with the above. I'm on my 10th day of the demo and will buy this plug. I don't have a great drum room and can really tell a difference in my drums with this plug. I've used it on a bottom snare mic and overheads so far and it's made a huge difference. I've definitely got comb filtering (which is unpreventable at the moment) and this helps a good bit...
Old 16th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Has anybody ever had luck with using one of these things to improve the relationship between a vocal and acoustic guitar recorded at the same time?

I actually have used the Radial unit in this very context and eventually sold it because I found it never improved anything. But then again, I wasn't aligning say, a bass DI and a Bass amp, which might be the ideal use for these tools.
📝 Reply