Quantcast
the third vocal Mic Solid State large Dia? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
the third vocal Mic Solid State large Dia?
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the third vocal Mic Solid State large Dia?

I'm looking for a third mic good vocal mic. I've got a Soundelux elux 251 and an e47 which I love, but there are times especially when writing I'd like to just plug in a solid state mic rather than worry about the power supply and tube warmth and all. I've got an Audio Technica 4047 and a 4050, but I'm thinking I could do a bit better and even compliment the tube mics I have. Maybe i could even find one that for some things I like better!?

I had a blue mouse at one time and I really did like it, but with my voice it was a bit forward in the high mids. I tried a Kiwi once along side a new 87AI and I liked the Kiwi better, so i was kind of thinking of going that route. Are there some mics out there I should take a listen too or consider in general? I'm not into any chinese knock offs or value mics. I believe in brands that are going to stand the test of time. On the other hand i'd like to stay arounr $1,500 street. Any ideas out there? Thank you in advance for you input
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a Kiwi & love it... you could certainly make lots of worse choices. For $1,500 street, you'd have to pick one up used or maybe look around for a B-Stock, but you see them come up used now & then, so that shouldn't really be a problem... in fact, on the used market, you can often find them for less than your target price-point.

Another option from B.L.U.E. that you might consider, and still keeping things well under your price target, would be the Blueberry... I don't know if that would be as good of a fit or compliment to your Soundeluxii as the Kiwi would, though... the Kiwi, to me, kind of falls in the middle between your 251 & your e47... a little bit "rounder" high end than the 251, and warm but not quite as "big" on the low end as the e47. The Blueberry, on the other hand is more like what I would describe as a very airy, "top-end-y" mic, but not harsh or hyped up there... it's more top-end-ish simply because it's so damn flat & "tame" from the mids on down. Definitely not as versatile as the Kiwi, though, but can really work well on certain lead vox & I do like it a lot for BG vox, as it tends to layer REALLY well without the need for EQ.

Also, what about a C-414 (or two, if you can find a used pair)? That might be an option for you in the non-tube LDC category... have you considered that one? Not really a go-to vocal mic for too many people that I personally know of, but it also doesn't really suck, either, depending on what you're looking for. B-ULS & XL-"x" versions sound very different from one another, so if you're not familiar with this mic line in particular, make sure you do a little homework first to see which you think you might prefer better.

Heck, for that matter, if it's male rock vox we're talking about you could also check out a TLM-103, as long as you keep it away from any really fast or edgy preamps... run it through something nice & smooth, or slow & squishy, and that could be the ticket right there - plus it can pretty much take any abuse you throw at it. And while we're on the subject of male rock vox, consider the Baby Bottle - that one through a fast preamp works great... you get good detail & a nice mid-forward sound, which can work really well on some mixes.

You've got a lot of options, really.
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks Desert Dawg for that input on the KIWI it's certainly making me want one. Yes I've tried a 414XL-II before wasn't my thing. I actually ended up liking the AT 4047 better. I've also had the Blueberry in my studio for a couple days a long time ago. I don't remember exactly what my feelings were on this mic, but I ended up keeping an AT 4060 at the time instead? (which was replaced by my e-47)

What about the gefell?

Any who thanks for the input.

Last edited by SoundUniverse; 22nd January 2009 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: AK47 is toobe
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundUniverse ➡️
What about the gefell?
I dunno, I've never gefellt like trying one.

<cue groans>

Seriously, though - No, I couldn't tell you anything about any Gefell models - I've never had the opportunity to check any of 'em out.
📝 Reply