Quantcast
How should one know where to place the drums in the room - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How should one know where to place the drums in the room
Old 22nd January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
How should one know where to place the drums in the room

well, the room in the studio i'm about to enter is quite a big A room...
about 15X6 meters (i might be off...)

now, how should i know where would be the best spot to set them up for the recording?
is there a test i can do?

what do you think? how do you do it?
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Oh,that's super-easy! Have a friend walk around the room banging on a large floor tom while you listen where it sounds the best..STOP-set down floor tom-build rest of kit around there.Don't be surprised if you end up near a corner area.
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy1533 ➡️
Oh,that's super-easy! Have a friend walk around the room banging on a large floor tom while you listen where it sounds the best..STOP-set down floor tom-build rest of kit around there.Don't be surprised if you end up near a corner area.
Yes! Agreed!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
but isn't a corner bad due to reflections?

and where should i stand and listen? in the middle of the room?
in the control via room mics?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Why don't you let someone with a little experience help you?

I'm sure they've recorded drums there before and have a pretty good idea of where to start? Or at least I would hope so. Especially if it's their 'A" room.

But anyway, I find a combination of low-end bashing (floor/kick) with a bit of high-end (usually the embarrassing ol' walk around and clap your hands trick) gives me an idea of where I should be looking.

Then, if needs be, I'll further modify the sounds I'm hearing gobos, blankets etc.

Good luck!

R.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey ➡️
Why don't you let someone with a little experience help you?

I'm sure they've recorded drums there before and have a pretty good idea of where to start? Or at least I would hope so. Especially if it's their 'A" room.
+1. They hopefully know their room, so describe the sound you're after and let them suggest a spot and go from there.

Also, as an experiment, let the drummer setup where he wants. Some drummers are pretty decent at picking "the spot."
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
right.

when i was looking at buildings for my new private room....i consistantly annoyed real estate agents because i carried around a snare drum and stick with me to each viewing.

i walked into the space i now own...smacked the snare in about 10 various locations...and new that i found my place.

i have a huge open floor plan...20'x45' or so with 14' ceilings. i have a fair amount of acoustic treatment in place...and there are 4-5 great spots that i setup the drums in depending on the sound i want.

in one corner in particular...the low end on toms and the kick is absolutely rediculous !!

the best place is where it sounds best to YOU.

good luck,

jchristopherhughes
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Very big chance you'll end up in/near a corner.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Oh,that's super-easy! Have a friend walk around the room banging on a large floor tom while you listen where it sounds the best..STOP-set down floor tom-build rest of kit around there.
I do the same but with the kick.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…