Quantcast
Eagles harmony technique challenge? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eagles harmony technique challenge?
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Eagles harmony technique challenge?

Can anyone tell me some techniques that are used to get harmonies like the Eagles ? Thanks !
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I won't do the "first you need the Eagles" thing, but it is true that you really need at least 3 high tenor voices or you won't have anything like the right overtones and blend to work with. To me that is the foundation of the Eagles sound, just as it was for the Beatles, the Beach Boys and many others.
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Obviously super-tight. Also, the classic Eagles touch - double the lowest part up an octave.
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Good thread. I was just listening to "Lying Eyes" today and wondering exactly how the harmonies were recorded.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
when asked this question, Bill Szymczyk said something like "put up a mike, and have them stand around it"
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGT-1 ➡️
Obviously super-tight. Also, the classic Eagles touch - double the lowest part up an octave.
Hey, like your stuff there. Kind of a nice Cowboy Junkies "Heroin, it's not just for breakfast anymore" type of vibe. I love the vocals.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
They(TBS and Don Henley) did a guest BGV track for the producer I work with on a project. Absolutely amazing. The sound is in the blend...
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringmewater ➡️
Can anyone tell me some techniques that are used to get harmonies like the Eagles ?
I never noticed the Eagles' harmonies as being any different from anybody else's harmonies. Great harmony is great harmony, whether it's Eagles or Beach Boys or Beatles or the Four Freshmen. Stacking thirds is what we're talking about. And there's only a few variations possible within the range of the male voice.

One point, though: The Eagles basically stuck with parallel harmonies and nothing as imaginative as the counterpoint harmonies the Beatles came up with. My favorite harmonies are the ones that are not parallel. I like oohs and ahhs and la-la-la's that wind in between the lead vocal. I like the counterpoint such as in "Help!" But most Eagles harmony is simply stacked thirds.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippy ➡️
when asked this question, Bill Szymczyk said something like "put up a mike, and have them stand around it"
Funny how that works.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…