Quantcast
Pro-Tools 8 session open in Pro-Tools 7.4? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro-Tools 8 session open in Pro-Tools 7.4?
Old 21st January 2009
Pro-Tools 8 session open in Pro-Tools 7.4?

I just finished an audio post project in PT8 and need to deliver it to the supervising sound editor/mixer He is still running PT7.4. From what I heard over at the Digidesign User Conference PT8 is backward compatible, meaning my PT8 session open under PT7.4. Is this correct? Anyone try it yet? I plan to bring a version saved to 6.9 as well just to be safe. If PT 8 is indeed backward compatable with 7.4 thats pretty cool! Thanks.
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric ➑️
I just finished an audio post project in PT8 and need to deliver it to the supervising sound editor/mixer He is still running PT7.4. From what I heard over at the Digidesign User Conference PT8 is backward compatible, meaning my PT8 session open under PT7.4. Is this correct? Anyone try it yet? I plan to bring a version saved to 6.9 as well just to be safe. If PT 8 is indeed backward compatable with 7.4 thats pretty cool! Thanks.
Yep... It is compatible.
Old 21st January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
there is allready a thread on this, but in short, yes. it will work.

you just need to re-save the session as 7.4. it will prompt you when you open it.
Old 21st January 2009 | Show parent
Great! Thank you for the quick replies.
Old 21st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidtension47 ➑️
there is allready a thread on this, but in short, yes. it will work.

you just need to re-save the session as 7.4. it will prompt you when you open it.
Yep, it has always been this way with different version compatibility in ProTools. (when compatible) No big deal... hit -S, hit enter, and then your good to go.
Old 6th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Is the same thing true going back all the way to pro tools 5 or 6? I have a friend who is still running some ancient version of pt but I want to use pt8 when tracking because it would hurt my brain to undo all the recent advances. Just want to make sure that he could open the sessions on his system without having to import the audio tracks one by one into a new session. Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You DO NOT need to save as a different version.
7.4 will open PT8 files just fine. It's the same file format.

Between PT6 and PT7 there was a change of file format, so in order to open 7 and later files on, say, an old Mix rig, you would need to save a copy in the .pts format.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If in the session you're trying to open you have some elastic time track open (real time) check them out when you open it on 7.4 the algorithm has been changed and you could have phase problems
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
It should work fine anyway

It'll just give you a box that says it was saved with a newer version. I bring stuff between studios all the time and haven't had an issue yet. If it matters, I have never transported files that have elastic audio, so I can't speak to that.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
The Stereo version of the EQ3 does not transfer- it needs to be the multi-mono version. So far that is the only thing I have come across when working in both.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
PT8 sessions will open in 7.3-7.4 but I've come across a few PT systems that can't open them -- they were running Panther OS and PT5 or 6 I think.....
Old 4th November 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
cant get pt7.4 sessions or files to run on pt8

Getting ****31 and -9060 errors when just trying to play sessions I made on PTLE7 with mac/tiger on a totally different PTLE8 system running Leopard. Is this a Tiger to Leopard issue?? I can go back to the other system if I want to access those older sessions but what fun is that? I tried everything I could think of or find online and searched everywhere. WHAT GIVES?!
I tried loading the files with no plugins into new sessions and no go. PT8 is running fine but wont accept these files for playback!
To clarify no midi, no plug-ins, no elastic, on the files, just acoustic sound files, totally clean! When the other files wouldn't play I tried to import just 2 tracks consisting of acoustic guitar and vocals. The older files are on an fairly new external G-drive not raided coming in on firewire 800. I decided to copy these files over to my esata drives and still no go. I dragged files over from the workspace window to regions list and then dragged over into the edit window, still no go.
I'm wondering if this is something so simple that I will feel immensely stupid when I figure it out if so, so be it. Beats having to re-cable everything back and forth to access my old stuff.
ANY IDEAS OUT THERE?
thanks!
Old 14th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have another issue.
I am recording in PT8 on MacPro 10.5.8
editing on iMac PT7 10.4.11
rerecording on MacPro and a lot of issues with dropouts.

Do I need same OS on both machines?
Old 12th January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
@Scoundrel1
I have the opposite issue:
Tracks recorded in PT 8.0.xxx / Mac OSX.5.8
Sessions will not playback on PT 7 / OS 10.4.11
Audio Files imported into new session will not playback...
Old 13th January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hey Mu-tron

I never did figure it out a solution. Let me know if when you find the answers.
πŸ“ Reply